Gretchen's Pulled Pork question

therese

Is a 6# butt enough to feed 10-12? I didn't want to have to get a whole second butt and cook it, so I'm hoping this will be enough. I'm also providing 3 apps, a big crockpot of corn chowder, and 3 desserts, so there will be lots of food.

TIA!

Therese

I don't think so. Much of that is water and fat and there is quite a bit of shrinkage. YOu will

probably have some kind of bread product, like corn bread as well, but I still do a 3 pounder pork for 4.

Yes, it will be enough but probably no leftovers.

I would have buns, coleslaw, and a vegetable dish however--baked beans or pole beans cooked with onions and bacon/ham is a good side. Even a 3 bean salad would complement it.

Big Success with Pulled Pork

I made this last weekend for company. I had a pork should weighing just over 3.5 pds. It shrinks alot and I got a little nervous about the size. I had no leftovers at all. There was a total of 4 people over on Saturday night. This dish is awesome!!!!

Yeah, you guys are right. Off the the store...

better safe than sorry. Thanks for weighing in!

Therese

There is more shrinkage in a 3# piece than in a 6#.

And yes, a 3# piece probably would serve only 4-5 . But the leftovers are good not just as BBQ but to put in noodle dishes, for example, so suit yourself.
However when estimating for serving a crowd I estimate about 1/2# per person. Serving 30+ at a party I took the equivalent of about 12# (pre-cooked).
The butts I get at Costco and Sam's do not have a huge fat cap--enough but not real thick.

Dawn, pole beans are like fat long string beans. I'd never had them>>>

til we moved south, and, frankly, I prefer them to string beans whenever I have the choice!
If you get a hankering... send me an email (I've lost most of mine, in the process of installing a new computer!!)..
and I'll be happy to send you some.

You can buy them frozen and they are excellent.

Pictsweet. They are also referred to as Italian green beans--in cans. They make a nice addition to a salad.

Gretchen, I get so envious when everyone talks of # what ever BUTT...

I still can only get picnic shoulder...did some this w-end again. Boy is this the most delicious meal. I have to make another soon to have as stand by in the freeze.
It's prolly one of the most used recipes on the forum.

Dawn I am not sure whether pole beans are exactly the same as....

the long beans we get in the Asian stores here on island.
I have started growing these beans from a packet called "yard long beans" or something similar...These truly are the best beans ever.
I love to stir fry without boiling first. Use them with bacon and toasted almonds.

Make a white cheese sauce ie use them as one would mac 'n cheese and often with bacon strips browning on top.

Just a quick boil and chop them into salad too.

Here the best are from the garden as the ones in the store are obviously a bit aged after having been shipped in here from heavens knows where. You could perhaps check out any Asian store near you.
Well worth finding them.

Joanie, that is the cut you want. The picnic shoulder

is a part of the butt. I can't quite remember which it is but the "picnic" is either the upper part or the lower part of the shoulder/butt.

Boston butt = Boston roast = pork butt roast = pork shoulder Boston butt = Boston-style shoulder = Boston shoulder = Boston-style butt = fresh pork butt Notes: This economical, rectangular roast is the cut of choice for pulled pork barbecue, since it's marbled with enough fat to keep the meat moist while cooking. You can buy it bone-in or boneless. Substitutes: pork picnic roast (also works for pulled pork)

Pole beans are not the asiatic long beans.

They are an old fashioned wide, flat green bean--lots in the south. And as I said, also called Italian green beans. They are the style bean in the South that are cooked a long time with ham or bacon.

Joanie, the French is L'EPAULE DE PORC, (shoulder of pork)

It's pronounced lay-paul-duh-por, or you could write it out (or just rub your shoulder and oink!)

I think, as Durward says the picnic is the lower half of the shoulder. I haven't make the famous pulled pork yet (this summer, I swear,) but I'm sure it would be nice to get the whole cut.

Yes, it is the lower part of the shoulder going to the leg.

But if you got the whole banana you would have to have a big party--that is a LOT of pork. Either of the cuts are good for pulled pork. Fresh ham is not--too lean.
What I buy at Costco and Sam's is usually two pieces of shoulder and is in the 15-18# range.

Blade Shoulder
Also known as the Shoulder Butt. This is one of the fattier cuts of pork. Cuts from this area include: blade roasts, blade steaks, Boston butt and ground pork.

Arm Shoulder
Also known as the picnic shoulder. This is the leg part of the shoulder and it is a fairly fatty area. Cuts from this area include: pork shank (or hocks) and picnic roasts. Both are sometimes sold smoked.

Mimi has done just about everything else, why not this feature, LOLOLOLOL NT Thanks, Mimi..xoxoxox

Back