Gretchen's Pulled Pork question

which butcher will you go to Mimi? I go to one that is English speaking .....

but the best price is Cost u less, I guess it is similar to Costco by the sounds of things.

I have made this for years with no rub.

I often make it with just brown sugar and coarse black pepper rubbed in it. Maybe add some NM chile powder.
Another rub is brown sugar, pepper, and hot smoked paprika.
I personally do not think rubs do all that much for it.
One I use on tenderloins which would also work is hot or sweet smoked paprika, worcestershire sauce, coarse pepper, cumin.
I do recommend using my BBQ sauce.

Thanks for the info and here, for anyone interested, is the REC: (with tips)

Gretchen's Pulled Pork

*1 pork shoulder or butt, bone in or out--any size--the cooking time is the same for a 3#or 8# piece
*BBQ rub of your choice (I will post mine if you want), or just rub the meat with a mixture of coarse ground black pepper and brown sugar

Let marinate 8 hours or overnight.

Method 1:
IF you have a smoker that can control the temp (I have a sidebox smoker and can keep the temp at 200-250 degrees F) smoke the meat for 4 hours, keeping the temp low. Then place the meat in a 250 degrees F oven for 4 hours to finish. It will be meltingly tender
and have a wonderful smoky flavor.

Method 2 (and this is the one I have really used for 30 years):
Place the meat in a 250 degrees F oven for 8 hours. I have often done them overnight. It will still have the melting tenderness. You will have to slap your hands to have any left over as you take it out of the oven.

When ready to serve pull chunks of meat off and then "pull" the meat into shreds by pulling between 2 forks. Do not discard the fat--mix it in. This is not a low fat dish and to really enjoy, use it!!!

For a traditional Carolina serving method very lightly moisten the meat with sweetened vinegar (1 qt. vinegar + 1/4C sugar and 2TBS coarse black pepper). To warm before serving put the vinegared
meat in a pan (black iron frying pan is good) and cover tightly. Heat at 250 degrees F until heated.

To serve, offer bbq sauces, cole slaw (in the Carolinas, it goes ON the sandwich), baked beans, rolls, and banana pudding. For fall bbq's Brunswick Stew is also offered.

For BBQ sauce here is my tomato based:

1 28-32 oz. ketchup
1 ketchup bottle cider vinegar
6 oz. yellow mustard
6 oz. Worcestershire sauce
1/2-1C brownsugar
3 oz. liquid smoke
Tabasco to your taste

Simmer for 30 minutes.

PIcnic Shoulder is a part of the butt. I can't quite remember which it is but the "picnic" is either the upper part or the lower part of the shoulder/butt.

Boston butt = Boston roast = pork butt roast = pork shoulder Boston butt = Boston-style shoulder = Boston shoulder = Boston-style butt = fresh pork butt Notes: This economical, rectangular roast is the cut of choice for pulled pork barbecue, since it's marbled with enough fat to keep the meat moist while cooking. You can buy it bone-in or boneless. Substitutes: pork picnic roast (also works for pulled pork)

>> I Often Make This With No Rub - Durward/Gretchen

I often make it with just brown sugar and coarse black pepper rubbed in it. Maybe add some NM chile powder.
Another rub is brown sugar, pepper, and hot smoked paprika.

I personally do not think rubs do all that much for it.
One I use on tenderloins which would also work is hot or sweet smoked paprika, worcestershire sauce, coarse pepper, cumin.
I do recommend using my BBQ sauce.

hi gayle. gretchen said simply...

rub it with coarse pepper or a dry rub of your choice

also:
Make a moistening sauce of 2C vinegar, 1/4C sugar and 3TBS black pepper. Sprinkle sparingly over the pulled pork to moisten it while heating for serving. Heat at 200* in a heavy Dutch oven or cast iron pan.

and i agree. it is most excellent.

Thx! This was a C&P from the Favorites on this site....

and the reply from 'Durward'. Thanks for clarification! Wanted to clarify further so there is no misunderstanding.

I'm trying at the moment to remember who posted it in Favorites. Maybe Curious? Any other comments must be hers. ?

I've read about this Carolina Pulled Pork recipe posted by Gretchen for years and I think it's about time I make it for my family! smileys/wink.gif

This is the sauce we use for basting our pulled pork.

We always do ours outside. Always have, always will. There is no way my husband would considering doing pulled pork anyother way. But, we live in Texas and can bbq year-round.

This is a vinegar based sauce. We usually cover our pork butt or shoulder (my dad says shoulder is the best because you get dark meat and light meat). We usually cover the butt with black pepper and some Tony Chacheau(sp). While he smokes it (usually using charcoal and hickory) he baste with this sauce.

1 1/4 c. cider vinegar
1 tsp. black pepper
2 1/2 ts. salt
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cumin

Combine all ingredients and bring to slow boil. Simmer 10 minutes. Store in refrigerator

We use to use a Wicker's BBQ Basting sauce (original) which can be ordered from them but after finding this recipe, we like it just as well. After our pork is falling off the bone. We chop ours coursely adding some more black pepper. Oh, I forgot, usually about 30 minutes before he takes it off the grill he will mix 1/2 Kraft Original BBQ Sauce along with 1/2 amount of the Basting sauce and coat the roast.

We butter our buns, grill or toast. Finely shred some cabbage, add a little salt and pepper and a tiny bit of vinegar and oil, toss and serve ON the sandwich. Delicious.

Back