Guide to Mexican cheeses

Fresh Cheeses:

Queso blanco:

This creamy, white cheese is made from skimmed cow's milk, and has been described as being a cross between cottage cheese and mozzarella. It is traditionally coagulated with lemon juice, giving it a fresh, distinctive lemon flavor, although nowadays it is often commercially made with rennet. It softens when heated, but doesn't melt, and is a good choice for stuffing enchiladas.

Queso fresco:

A spongy white cheese, used to crumble over botanas - snacks - as well as on enchiladas and taquitos, this type of cheese was introduced to Mexico from Burgos, Spain. It is usually made with a combination of cow's milk and goat's milk. A very mild feta is an acceptable substitute for the grainy and mildly acidic queso fresco.

Queso panela:

Also called queso de canasta because it carries the imprint of the basket in which it is molded, this is a soft, white cheese most often served as part of an appetizer or snack tray. It absorbs other flavors easily, and is sometimes coated with a garlic-and-chile paste, or wrapped in toasted avocado leaves, to be served with cocktails.

Requesón:

A loose, ricotta-like cheese used to fill enchiladas and to make cheese spreads, this variety is most often sold in the markets wrapped in fresh corn husks. A mild - not salty - ricotta can be substituted for requesón.

Soft Cheeses:

Queso añejo:

This is simply an aged version of queso fresco and, while classified as a soft cheese, can actually become quite firm and salty as it ages. It is used primarily as a garnish, crumbled or grated over a variety of dishes. Romano could be substituted for queso añejo.

Queso oaxaca:

Also known as quesillo, this is by far the most popular cheese for making quesadillas. It is a stretched curd cheese, kneaded and wound into balls. It should be pulled apart into thin strings before using to fill tortillas or melted on cooked food. Mozzarella or string cheese can be used in its place

Semi-Soft Cheeses:

Queso asadero:

This is specifically a melting cheese, used to make the Mexican fondue called queso fundido, a dish which adapts well to the inclusion of a variety of ingredients and is usually eaten as a late-night supper. Fontina and Monterrey Jack are fine substitutes.

Queso chihuahua:

Also called queso menonita, after the Mennonite communities of northern Mexico that first produced it, this cheese is now made by both Mennonites and non-Mennonites all over the country. Unlike most Mexican cheeses, it is pale yellow rather than white, and can vary in taste from mild to a nearly cheddar-like sharpness. It is used in a wide variety of dishes, and is especially good for making queso frito, a breaded, fried cheese dish. Since Chihuahua cheese is widely sold outside of Mexico, it should not be necessary to look for substitutes, however a very mild cheddar or a flavorful jack cheese could replace it in many recipes.

Queso jalapeño:

A smooth, soft white cow's milk cheese with bits of jalapeño chile in it, this cheese is served as a snack or used to make quesadillas.

Semi-Firm Cheeses:

Queso criollo:

This pale yellow cheese is a specialty of the region around Taxco, Guerrero, and is so similiar to Munster that the two can easily be used interchangeably.

Queso edam:

Although not considered a Mexican cheese, Edam has become such an intrinsic part of Yucatecan regional cooking that it is worth including here. The cheese round is scooped out, filled with a seasoned meat picadillo, and steamed in the oven in the same manner that a custard is prepared. This queso relleno is then presented whole, accompanied by a salsa roja.

Queso manchego:

Introduced to Mexico from the Spanish region of La Mancha, this buttery yellow cheese is popular outside of Mexico as well. It is good for melting, or for serving with fruit or crackers. Manchego is widely available north of the border, but Monterrey Jack is a good substitute.

Firm Cheeses:

Queso añejo enchilado:

This is queso añejo, with a spicey red coating, which has been aged to the point where it serves as a condiment. A strong feta cheese could be substituted for it.

Queso cotija:

Named for the town of Cotija, Michoacan, where it originated, this is a sharp, crumbly goat cheese. It has been called "the Parmesan of Mexico" and is usually served over beans and salads.

Queso manchego viejo:

As its name indicates, this is manchego that has been aged to the point where it hardens and becomes more intense in flavor. It is quite often shaved over botanas.

Link: http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2155-a-guide-to-mexican-cheese-queso-mexicano

http://www.eatdotat.com/swap/forum1/195660_A_guide_to_Mexican_cheeses

gayle-mo

JUST what I was looking for! THANKS!

My daughter's fiance is sooo hard to buy for - he has everything! He is quite the foodie, though, so I am filling in his gifts with all kinds of candies/goodies. He adores biscotti and I am making several kinds for him, including this one!

Appreciate the recipe! (he loves oranges!) smileys/smile.gif

Blessings!

My very favorite Biscotti from AGM/Cape Cod posted 2001

1 C candied Orange Peel (I make my own, but prepared is fine)
3/4 C toasted pecans, coarsley chopped
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C unsalted butter
2 T orange liqueur
zest of one orange
2 C plus 2 T unbleached flour
1.5 T baking powder
1/4 t salt

Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs, orange liqueur, and zest. In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt, mix in peel and nuts. Add to butter and sugar mixture. Divide dough in half. Place on baking sheet covered with parchment and form into two logs about 1 1/2 inches wide and 12 inches long. Place at least 3 inches apart. Bake in the midle of a preheated 325 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Transfer from baking sheet to a rack. Let cool for 10 minutes. Place on a cutting board and slice diagonally at a 45 degree angle about 1/2 inches thick. Place slices upright on baking sheet and return to a 300 degree oven for about 20 minutes to dry. Cool on a rack and store in a tightly covered container.

Janet, thanks - yum! Would I have time to make candied orange peel?

Sounds like it is time consuming. Would you share your recipe, please?

Your recipe does look wonderful!

I appreciate your posting this. smileys/smile.gif

Gayle

yes you would, it takes an hour or so then about 4 hrs drying time........

It involves boiling down the strips of peel several times and then boiling them in syrup and then rolling them in sugar and drying. There are a lot of recipies on Google, just pick one that has the quantity you want. I usually make a lot of it when oranges are on sale (not .99 each like they were yesterday in my market), and vacuum seal some for future use. Don't bother for now though if you want to make the biscotti for Christmas use the peel you can buy, they will still be delicious. Be prepared though, you will have to make them forever for people you give them to! Merry Christmas.

GayleMO, another method for orange peel...

Prepare candied peel (any type) as usual but rather than dry & sugar the peel, I simply place it in a jar, add the sugaring syrup, and fill it to the top with Grand Marnier (for oranges) or limoncello (for lemons). There needs to be a healthy quantity of liquor to store this properly, I store it inside the fridge (handiest for me), and anytime I need candied peel I pull out the amount I need, drain it, chop and add to the recipe. It keeps for ages using this method and, if I choose to sugar some to serve as a confection, that's quick and easy to do too.

I've been doing this so long I don't even recall where I first learned it (Lenotre, perhaps? Jacques Torres? who knows... failing memory!).

Thank you Janet and Ruth!

I have 18 oranges right now that I bought 6/1.00 so I think I may be making some soon! smileys/smile.gif

In the meanwhile I'll buy some for the biscotti!

Appreciate your feedback!

Back