Household kitchen hints from Family Handyman magazine

marilynfl

Some women read fashion magazines. I read Family Handyman. This could possibly explain why my waist is no longer visible to the human eye, but there you are.

I thought these two hints were clever and quick. The first is a simple way to divide up a drawer without using a drill. Line the back of the drawer with two long pieces of self-adhesive foam weather stripping. Then place 1/4" pieces of plywood or balsa wood that are the width of the drawer perpendicular to the strips. Since the strips are foam, they will compress, yet hold the vertical board in place. You can also use the sides of the drawer and place the boards along the length of the drawer. It depends on your drawer and how you want to subdivide it.

IMG_8035.JPG

The second hint was how to clean a greasy vent hood. The author mentions that he has used his dishwasher and grease cutting cleaning products to little success. Instead, he ends up using a water-based grease cutter from an auto parts store. I guess it has a more aggressive form of degreaser in it, so I wouldn't use it on food preparation items. But for a vent hood, I think it's a great idea.

IMG_8036.JPG

Last edited:
Back