I need some new ideas for pasta dishes

meryl

I eat pasta quite often as a main dish, and I'm looking for some new ideas. In other words, I'm bored! I basically don't eat meat, so I need some vegetarian dishes. Some of my usual mix-ins are: roasted or sauteed veggies, such as red onions, garlic, bell peppers, shallots, carrots, mushrooms, asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, etc. Some more ingredients I use often are: San Marzano canned tomatoes and dry white wine, and occasionally chicken broth. Cheeses: Parmigiano Reggiano, goat cheese, and extra sharp cheddar, etc. *Note: I hate ricotta! I eat a lot of bean dishes, so I'm not really looking for any bean/pasta combos, although I'm open if the dish is really great. Also, I tend to keep the dishes fairly low or moderate in fat, using extra virgin olive oil, rather than butter, and the cheese content low or moderate.

Well, if anyone has any ideas at all for something new, I'd really appreciate it!

Always looking for an excuse to post and recommend this. REC: Penne pasta w/ asparagus & cashews

This is my all-time-favorite pasta dish. It's delightfully tangy, and different from most other pasta dishes. I really REALLY love this.

Everything can be made the day before, but refrigerated separately. Toss just before serving. It's only downside is that it doesn't hold over well since the acid in the dressing makes the spinach wilty and the cashews get a little soggy.

PENNE, SPINACH, ASPARAGUS AND CASHEW SALAD

This inventive salad is a terrific addition
to any summer buffet. For this party, also
prepare red cabbage coleslaw, or buy some at
the market or a take-out spot.

1 1/2 pounds asparagus spears, ends trimmed,
cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 pounds penne or rigatoni pasta
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sliced green onions
6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 6-ounce package baby spinach
1 cup (about 4 ounces) salted roasted
cashews, coarsely chopped

Cook asparagus in large pot of boiling
salted water until just tender, about 3
minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer
asparagus to small bowl. Cool. Add pasta to
same pot and cook until just tender but
still firm to bite. Drain well. Transfer
pasta to very large bowl. Toss with 1
tablespoon oil. Cool.

Blend cup oil, green onions, vinegar and soy
sauce in blender until smooth, about 2
minutes. (Asparagus, pasta and dressing can
be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately;
chill.) Pour dressing over pasta. Add
asparagus, spinach and cashews; toss to
coat. Season with salt and pepper.

Makes 12 Servings.

Bon Appétit
June 1997

FUSILLI WITH PORCINI PUTTANESCA SAUCE

Don't know if you use anchovies, but recently made this and we loved it. Also an Epi recipe

FUSILLI WITH PORCINI PUTTANESCA SAUCE

Porcini mushrooms smooth out the intense flavors of this traditional sauce of tomatoes, olives, anchovies and capers. Although puttanesca sauce is typically served with penne or spaghetti, fusilli holds the sauce better.

1 1/3 cups hot water
1/2 ounce (about 3/4 cup) dried porcini mushrooms
1 28-ounce can diced peeled tomatoes in juice
1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
12 Niçois olives, pitted, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped anchovy fillets
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

8 ounces fusilli pasta

Combine 1 1/3 cups hot water and porcini in small bowl. Let stand until porcini are soft, about 25 minutes. Strain porcini, reserving liquid; discard sandy residue in bottom of bowl. Coarsely chop porcini.

Drain tomatoes, reserving juice. Bring juice to boil in large saucepan. Add onion and garlic. Reduce heat and simmer until onion is tender, about 15 minutes. Add porcini, reserved porcini liquid, tomatoes, olives and next 6 ingredients. Partially cover pot and simmer sauce until thickened slightly, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta. Return to pot. Add sauce to pasta. Toss to blend.

Serves 4.

Here's one from GRS - REC: Roma Artichoke and Tomato Ragu

Again, from "()", so I can't give proper credit, but it is VERY good and not too fatty. I oftern add in leftover vegetables such as peppers, onions and/or mushrooms. Doesn't need cheese, but would be good. Serves 4.

1 can (14.5 oz) Diced Tomatoes, drained
1 jar (6 oz) marinated artichoke hearts, sliced
1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper

Combine tomatoes, artichoke hearts and
marinade, olives, parsley, basil, garlic,
salt and pepper in large bowl. Cover; chill for several hours to blend flavors.

Reheat and serve over cooked pasta.

a few options

Hi Meryl -

We eat pasta quite often too. A few of our favorites are:

Pasta with Charred Onions and Cilantro (M. Bittman)

Pasta with Carrots, Risotto Style (M. Bittman)

Pasta with Caramelized Mushrooms & Spinach (M. Chiarello)

Tortellini Salad with feta, yellow pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, black olives and basil

A (relatively) quick vegetable lasagne (no ricotta) C. Kimball

Pasta with mushrooms that have been roasted with shallots, thyme, and rosemary

Pasta with mushrooms (but this has a sauce with cream)

Oven-baked Penne with onions, walnuts & goat cheese (G. Hammersley)

And - if you eat any chicken - a plug for pasta with chiles, fresh basil and ground chicken (Asian-inspired) - a family favorite.

A non-pasta favorite is also quesadillas with a little prepared pesto sauce, thinly sliced onion, and goat cheese.

Let me know if you want me to post any of the above.

Andrea

Andrea, these sound delicious. There are several I would love for you to post >>>

if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.

Pasta with Charred Onions and Cilantro

Pasta with Caramelized Mushrooms & Spinach (M. Chiarello)

Tortellini Salad

Quick vegetable lasagne

Pasta with mushrooms roasted with shallots, thyme, and rosemary

Quesadillas

Oven-baked Penne with onions, walnuts & goat cheese (G. Hammersley)

Will post the recipes...

Hi Meryl -

I will try to get a few up tonight and the rest tomorrow.

Three other T&T recipes I could post and should have mentioned are:

Spinach Linguine with Goat Cheese,

Fettunine Piccata, and

Our favorite basic tomato sauce with black olives (G. De Laurentiis).

In the vein of other vegetarian recipes... We also love an awesome spinach & chickpea dish from Madhur Jaffrey (Saveur) and a great Winter Tomato and Feta Pie, if you are interested. (Also have a great summer tomato pie...)

Will post the recipes under this post so they are grouped together for you.

Andrea

Thanks Andrea. I hope you have these saved to file and aren't posting them from scratch! >>

Sounds like you have a nice array of vegetarian recipes. I have lots of good ones too, so let me know if you're interested in anything in particular, ie pasta dishes, bean dishes, couscous dishes, etc. and I'll post some for you.

Two more of yours I'm interested in:
Spinach Linguine with Goat Cheese and
Fettucine Piccata

By the way, I posted a great pasta recipe under the Favorites folder, called
PASTA WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES AND GARLIC BROTH. Check it out - it's fantastic.

unfortunately kind of low-tech still...

and I need to type most of them in. I have to admit that I keep our clipped "have again" recipes in a photo album so I have a hard copy right next to the stove. And I have a cookbook collection my husband will (rightfully) never let me hear the end of!

Your pasta recipe looks fabulous - I love fennel. Will try it this weekend.
Thanks.
Andrea

REC: Pasta with Caramelized Mushrooms and Spinach

Pasta with Caramelized Mushrooms and Spinach

1 lb mixed shitake and oyster mushrooms (I have used button mushrooms in a pinch)
5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb penne or similarly shaped pasta
1 tbsp minced garlic
1tbsp minced fresh thyme
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 cups young spinach
Thinly shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)

Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Cut the shiitakes into slices between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. Break the oyster mushrooms into smaller pieces.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil. Distribute the mushrooms evenly over the surface. Do not stir! Let them sizzle until well seared on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes longer.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the pasta & cook according to package directions.

Add the garlic and thyme to the mushrooms, season with salt and pepr to taste and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Add the mushroom mixture to the pasta & toss to combine. Set aside.

Return the mushroom skillet to medium-high heat, add the reserved pasta water and cook, stirring, until reduced by half. Whisking constantly, slowly add first the vinegar, then the remaining 2 tablewpoons of oil. Drizzle the mixture over the pasta and toss well. Add the spinach and toss again. Season with salt and pepper, add a shaving of Parmesan cheese, if desired, and toss again.

Note: If desired, just prior to serving, toss in some shredded cooked chicken or chunks of goat cheese.

Adapted by the Washington Post from Michael Chiarello's Casual Cooking

REC: Spinach Linguine with Goat Cheese

Title: Spinach Linguine With Goat Cheese
Yield: 2 Servings

Ingredients

3 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch green onions; sliced
4 plum tomatoes; chopped
1 red bell pepper; chopped
6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes; drained, chopped
2 garlic cloves; minced
1/4 tsp dried oregano; crumbled
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
Salt and pepper
8 oz spinach linguine or spaghetti; freshly cooked
4 oz soft goat cheese; (such as montrachet), sliced

Instructions

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add next 6 ingredients and saute‚ until onions are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in parsley and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Add pasta; toss thoroughly.

Divide pasta between 2 plates. Top each with half of goat cheese.

2 servings

Bon Appetit January 1991

REC: Fettuccine Piccata

Fettuccine Piccata

1 (16-ounce) package uncooked fettuccine pasta
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup capers drained
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup prepared pesto
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup cottage cheese
Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
Freshly grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions: drain and return to pan to keep warm.
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil, capers, white wine, pesto, and garlic 1 minute or until aromatic; stir in black olives, lemon juice, and cottage cheese. Remove from heat and pour over pasta; toss to coat thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer onto individual serving plates and garnish with parmesan cheese.

Makes 4 servings.

From whatscookingamerica.net

OMG, Andrea - unless you're a speed typist, this will be too much work for you. Maybe I should

narrow down the recipes a little - it's just too much for you to type them all by hand.

REC: Oven-Baked Penne with Onions, Walnuts & Goat Cheese

Oven-Baked Penne with Onions, Walnuts & Goat Cheese

1 lb. penne
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 small onion, sliced
1/4 c. dry white wine
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
Pinch of red pepper flakes
3 oz. chopped walnuts
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
5 to 6 oz fresh goat cheese
2 tsp walnut oil
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
About 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until the pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta, put it into a large bowl and toss it with the olive oil.

Heat the oven to 350F. Heat the butter in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring every few minutes, until the onion is tender and golden, about 10 minutes. Add the white wine, bring to a boil, and stir, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Transfer the onion to the bowl with the penne.

Add the thyme, the red pepper flakes, and half of the walnuts. Toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Combine the cream with about 2 oz. of the goat cheese and toss this with the pasta. Pour the pasta into a hgih-sided baking dish. Dot the top evenly with the remaining goat cheese and sprinkle with the remaining walnuts. Drizzle with the walnut oil and, finally, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.

From Gordon Hamersley's Bistro Cooking at Home

honestly don't worry!

I don't type as fast as I did when I was in high school, but I do it enough for work that it won't be that bad!! I'm glad to do it.

Love the internet, but I can't let go of my hard-copy ways.

REC: Quick Rice Noodles with Charred Onions and Cilantro

Quick Rice Noodles with Charred Onions and Cilantro

Makes 4 Servings
Time: About 30 minutes

Mark Bittman gives the option of substituting basil for the cilantro for those who don't care for the taste of cilantro. I will admit to making this with regular fettuccine when rice noodles aren't available...

4 tbsp peanut oil
2 or 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
Salt to taste
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 limes
1 lb. broad rice noodles (fettuccine-sized)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Heat a wok or large, deep skillet, preferably non-stick, over medium-high heat for 3 or 4 minutes, then add 3 tbsp of the oil. Wait another 30 seconds - you want the oil to be really hot - then add the sliced onions. Raise the heat to high and cook them, not stirring too often, until they are dark brown, with some crisp edges, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat and keep them warm.

While the onions are cooking, process some of the salt, the garlic, cilantro, pepper, the juice of one of the limes, and the remaining tablespoon of oil in a small food processor or blender. Use a rubber spatula if necessary to scrape down the sides of the container, and process until you have a loose paste.

Salt the boiling water and cook the pasta, beginning to taste after 5 minutes to see if it is done; do not overcook. When the pasta is tender, drain and toss with the onions and cilantro paste. Add salt to taste. Quarter the remaining lime and serve with the pasta.

From Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything

Back