I need some new ideas for pasta dishes

Tortellini Salad

Tortellini Salad

1 lb. cheese tortellini (I use refrigerated)
1/2 c. sun-dried tomatoes, julienne
1/2 c. feta cheese, cubed
1/2 c. black olives, halved
1/2 c. yellow pepper, cubed
1/4 c. basil chopped
2 tsp. flavored oil from sun-dried tomatoes
Salt & pepper to taste

Cook and drain tortellini accoring to directions on package. Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Serve hot or cold.

Well, you're a doll - I really appreciate it. Meanwhile ...

here are several of my favorite "vegetarian" (one or two use chicken broth, but you can substitute vegetable broth), recipes. ("Pasta With Roasted Vegetables and Garlic Broth" is my all-time favorite - let me know if you make that one). If you're interested in any of these, let me know, and I'll post them for you.

BLACK BEAN PATTIES WITH CILANTRO AND LIME

TOMATO CHEESE PIE WITH CRUMB CRUST

VEGETABLE CHILI

VEGETABLE COUSCOUS PAELLA

FARFALLE WITH SPINACH AND GARBANZO BEANS

SWEET PEPPERS WITH PASTA

PASTA WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS, MUSHROOMS AND BELL PEPPER

REC: Pasta with Roasted Mushrooms

This is a recipe that I made up, so all measurements are approximate. I find there's usually more liquid at the end than I need on my pasta, so I use a slotted spoon to ladle the mushrooms onto the pasta.

Pasta with Roasted Mushrooms

Serves 2 but can be doubled

8 oz. pasta

8 oz. button mushrooms
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic crushed
scant 1/4 c. chicken broth
1 tbsp. butter
salt and pepper
2 2-inch sprigs rosemary
3 2-inch sprigs thyme

Garnish:
1/4 c. chopped flat leaf parsley
Parmesan curls

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450F. Wipe mushrooms clean; remove stems. Quarter or slice mushrooms 1/4" thick.

To a large very hot, dry skillet add olive oil and fresh mushrooms; stir often over high heat. When the mushrooms begin to release their juices, add the minced shallot and crushed garlic. Cook until liquid begins to evaporate. Stir in broth and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add herbs. Stir well, and pour into small pyrex dish or casserole. Roast uncovered 15-20 minutes, stirring once or twice.

Meanwhile cook pasta according to directions on package.

Remove mushrooms from oven. Pull thyme leaves from stems and discard herb stems. Stir in fresh parsley.

Using a slotted spoon, spoon the mushrooms over the cooked pasta. Use a potato peeler to make Parmesan curls and garnish pasta. Serve.

wow - they all sound great!

It sounds like you are more technologically advanced than I am. If it's easy and you wouldn't mind posting them, that would be great! If it's too many, let me know, and I can choose a few.

Thanks. I'll post the remaining two recipes from mine tomorrow!

Well, I'm not exactly "technologically advanced," but

luckily, I have these saved to file, so I can just copy and paste them. Here ya go:

BLACK BEAN PATTIES WITH CILANTRO AND LIME

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon olive oil (I used 2 Tbsp)
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (I omitted this)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (I used 1 cup)
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper (I used 1/2-2/3 Tbsp)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used about 1/6 tsp)
2 cloves garlic -- minced (I used 3 large)
7/8 pound canned black beans, UNDRAINED (15 oz can)
1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro -- minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese -- shredded
Vegetable cooking spray
2/3 cup salsa (I omitted this - see note below)*

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 8 ingredients (onion through garlic); sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beans; sauté 1 minute. Combine bean mixture, breadcrumbs, cornmeal, cilantro, and lime juice in a large bowl; stir well. Place 1 cup bean mixture in a food processor, and process until smooth. Add pureed bean mixture and cheese to remaining bean mixture; stir well. Divide mixture into 5 equal portions, (I divided into 6 equal portions), shaping each into 6-inch patty. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels. Coat skillet with cooking spray, (I used two nonstick skillets with 1 tsp oil in each one), and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add patties, and cook 3 minutes (total) or until browned, turning patties carefully after 1-1/2 minutes.
Serving Ideas : Serve with salsa. *(see note below).

From Cooking Light

*(Note: I served this with a yogurt dip along with chopped red onion and chopped tomatoes on the side.
Yogurt Dip: 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, 1/4+ cup chopped cilantro, 1 tsp ground cumin, and several drops of Cajun hot sauce (to taste).

TOMATO CHEESE PIE WITH CRUMB CRUST

In addition to the spices listed, I added some onion powder and a few pinches of oregano. I didn't have any green onions, so I used lots of chopped chives.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (I used Parmigiano Reggiano)
2 large firm tomatoes, sliced (I used 5 medium to medium/large plum tomatoes)
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 green onions, chopped (I used a very generous amount of chopped chives)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup half-and-half (I used lowfat milk)
1/2 cup grated swiss cheese
1/4 cup additional parmesan cheese (I used Parmigiano Reggiano)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine crumbs, butter and the 4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese.
3. Press into greased 9" pie plate and bake for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from oven.
5. Re-set oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
6. Spread tomatoes in a layer on the crumb crust (I had extra tomato slices, so I made a second layer).
7. Sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper, basil, garlic powder, and green onions.
8. Mix eggs with half and half and the grated Swiss cheese, then pour over tomatoes. (I added some salt and pepper to the egg mixture).
9. Sprinkle the additional Parmesan over the top.
10. Bake for 30 minutes.

Makes 6 side-dish servings.

Recipezaar - Posted by Steingrim

VEGETABLE CHILI

I serve this with brown rice.
From Bon Appétit: "Even better over rice. Top it with sour cream and grated cheddar cheese." (I omit the toppings).

INGREDIENTS:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
6 large garlic cloves, chopped (I crush them first)
3 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
1 4-ounce can diced mild green chilies
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 15- to 16-ounce cans kidney beans, drained (I use pinto beans)
2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 10-ounce package frozen corn kernels (I use 1 15-oz can, unsweetened and unsalted)

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices, green chilies, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Add beans, bell peppers and corn. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chili is thick, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes (I cook it about 1 hour).
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 6.

From Bon Appétit

VEGETABLE COUSCOUS PAELLA

Fantastic! "Saffron lends authenticity to this fragrant dish, which draws its inspiration from the paellas of Spain. Serve a green salad alongside, and uncork a bottle of Pinot Grigio."

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (I used a little more)
2 cups chopped onion (I used a lot more)
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon chopped garlic (I used a lot more)
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
2 cups canned vegetable broth (I cheated and used low sodium chicken broth, about 2 1/2 cups)
3 large plum tomatoes (about 10 ounces), seeded, coarsely chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup drained canned garbanzo beans (chickpeas) (I used more)
1/2 cup chopped peeled carrot
1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 1/2 cups (about 9 1/2 ounces) couscous

6 canned artichoke hearts, quartered (I omitted this)
Sliced red bell pepper rings (I omitted this)
1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges (I omitted this)
Chopped fresh parsley (I used fresh cilantro)

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and chopped bell peppers; sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and paprika and sauté 1 minute. Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 5 minutes to blend flavors. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Mix couscous into vegetable mixture. Cover and simmer 1 minute. Remove pot from heat. Let stand covered 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork. Let paella stand covered 5 minutes longer; fluff with fork again. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl. Arrange artichoke hearts, red bell pepper rings and lemon wedges atop paella. Sprinkle parsley over and serve.

Serves 6.

From Bon Appétit

FARFALLE WITH SPINACH AND GARBANZO BEANS

INGREDIENTS:

3 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced (I use around 7 large cloves, crushed and chopped)
2 cups canned unsalted chicken broth (I use low sodium)
1 15 1/2-ounce can low-sodium garbanzo beans (chick peas), rinsed, drained
1 10-ounce package frozen leaf spinach, thawed, squeezed dry (I use fresh spinach)
12 ounces farfalle (bow tie) pasta, freshly cooked
2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (I use Parmegiano Reggiano)
(Salt and pepper to taste)

DIRECTIONS:

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in heavy large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Pour in chicken broth and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add garbanzo beans and spinach and boil 1 minute. Transfer spinach mixture to large bowl. Add pasta. Drizzle pasta with remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and toss. Season pasta generously with pepper; sprinkle with grated Parmesan and toss well. Serve.

Serves 4.

From Bon Appétit

SWEET PEPPERS WITH PASTA

"The key to this recipe is cooking the bell peppers until they’re meltingly tender..."

INGREDIENTS:

4 large garlic cloves, minced (I crush them first, then chop)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 large red and yellow bell peppers (3 lb.), cut into 2-inch-long julienne
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 lb. penne
Salt and black pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Cook garlic in oil in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until golden. Add peppers, wine, and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until very tender, (around 20 minutes or longer).
While peppers are cooking, cook pasta in a 6-qt. pot of boiling salted water until al dente and drain. Toss pasta with peppers and season with salt and pepper.
(*Serve with grated Parmigiano Reggiano)!

Makes 4 generous main course servings.

- Gourmet

PASTA WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS, MUSHROOMS AND BELL PEPPER

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 cups *Caramelized Onions (about 3 very large onions) - *See recipe below
2 Tbsp olive oil
Cooking spray
3 cups sliced mushrooms (around 8 oz)
2 cups julienne-cut red bell pepper: 3 x 1/4"( 1 huge red pepper)
8 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped med/small
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
1/4-1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
1/4 tsp black pepper or more, to taste
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper or more, to taste
1 Tbsp oregano
1 lb. hot cooked farfalle (bowties)
Basil and oregano to taste, to toss into pasta

*CARAMELIZED ONIONS

1 Tbsp olive oil
cooking spray
8 cups uncooked vertically sliced onions ( yellow, red, etc.) = 3 very large onions

DIRECTIONS FOR CARAMELIZED ONIONS:

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over med-high heat.

Add sliced onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Continue cooking 15 - 20 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring frequently.

DIRECTIONS:

Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over med/high heat. Add garlic and cook around 1 minute. Do not let garlic brown.

Add red bell pepper and saute till soft. ( Can add a few mushrooms to create some liquid).

Add the rest of the mushrooms and cook a few minutes.

Add caramelized onions, chicken broth, salt, black pepper and red pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook a minute or so to let the flavors blend.

Remove from heat and add 1 Tbsp oregano.

Toss pasta with extra basil and oregano, to taste. Then mix onion saute into pasta.

Serve with freshly grated Parmegiano Reggiano.

- Adapted from Cooking Light

You guys ar emaking me crave some serious PASTA!!!! Andrea, would you post the chicken & basil one?

Of course, between you and Meryl, all of your recipes are gonna keep me busy for a while!

TIA!

thanks...

these look like recipes that will become standards around here! a quick note, I modified the pasta with roasted mushrooms recipe this am to say roast uncovered 15-20 mins instead of just 20 since I'm not sure if my oven cooks a little slowly.

My alltime favorite pasta sauce recipe

Spaghetti D'Estate (also posted under the fave recipes)

This recipe is summer to me but can be enjoyed all year long. One of our most requested recipes in our hosuehold. The mix of the room temperature sauce with the hot spaghetti creates a great taste. This is a wonderful summertime pasta, easily assembled if you prepare the sauce ahead.

This sauce greatly benefits from sitting for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld, so you can even make it before you leave for work in the morning.

Leftovers can also be used for bruschetta topping the next day.

1 Pound Ripe Tomatoes, hot house and on the vine tomatoes are best
1 Medium Onion
6 Pitted Kalamata Olives
2 Medium Garlic Cloves
1/3 Cup Fresh Parsley
2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil
2 Teaspoons Drained Capers
1/2 Teaspoon Hot Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
1 Pound Spaghetti, use good quality spaghetti like DeCecco or Barilla
Parmesan or Pecorino cheese

Directions:

Chop tomatoes coarsely. Chop onion and olives. Mince the garlic.
Combine tomatoes, onion, olives, garlic, parsley, basil, capers, hot pepper, and oregano. Drizzle vinegar over tomato mixture, then pour over oil. Adjust according to your prefernces - more basil? more vinegar? more olives? Mix well and let sit at least 6 hours.

Just before serving, cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain and mix immediately with the sauce. Serve at once, offering cheese if desired.

I posted a few from Cathy Z in the favorites section, under pasta, that are really good...

most of them are meatless or could just as well be. Andrea, the ones you posted look wonderful! Thanks!

Thanks, buonappetitio - I found your recipe yesterday while ...

looking through the favorites and saved it to file. Sounds great!

Hi Andrea! Your recipes look great! Have you ever ...

Used ricotta cheese in this one, instead of cottage cheese? Yum

I'm saving all your pasta recipes!

Thanks so much!

REC: Quick Vegetable Lasagne with Tomato Sauce

I get requests for this recipe every time I make it for friends.

Quick Vegetable Lasagne with Tomato Sauce

2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped basil (or parsley)leaves
Salt and ground black pepper
15 dried 7 x 3-1/2 inch no-boil lasagna noodles (I use Barilla)
3 cups cooked and seasoned vegetables (see below)
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (approx. 1 lb)
2/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat the oil and garlic in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat until fragrant but not brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes; simmer until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Stir in the basil and salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a large measuring cup. Add enough water to make 3-1/2 cups.

2. Spread 1/2 cup sauce evenly over the bottom of a greased 13" x 9" lasagne pan. lay 3 noodles crosswise over the sauce, making sure they do not touch each other or the sides of the pan. Spread 3/4 cup prepared vegetables evenly over the noodles, 1/2 cup sauce evenly over the vegetables, and 3/4 cup mozzarella and 2 generous tablespoons of Parmesan evenly over the sauce. Repeat the layering of the noodles, vegetables, sauce, and cheese 3 more times. For the fifth and final layer, lay the final 3 noodles over the previous layer and top with the remaining 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1 cup mozzarella, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. (The lasagne can be wrapped with platic and refrigerated overnight or wrapped in plastic and aluminum foil and frozen for up to 1 month. If frozen, defrost in the refrigerator.

3. Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375F. Cover the pan with a large sheet of foil greased with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes (30 minutes if chilled**); remove foil and continue baking until the top turns golden brown in spots, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the lasagne rest 5 minutes. Cut and serve.

**I find 30 minutes is not enough if going from the fridge. You might want to allow something more like 45.

Cooked Vegetables

My favorite combination with this recipe is sauteed onion, mushroom, yellow squash, and zucchini with a little garlic. I do this all in the same pan, starting the mushrooms a minute or so before the others.

The moisture contecnt of the vegetable determines which cooking technique should be used when preparing it for the above lasagne. For example, high-moisture mushrooms are best sauteed, but low moisture broccoli, must be blanched, chopped, then sauteed.

Toss the vegetables with olive oil before roasting or saute them in olive oil. Season vegetables with salt and pepper as well as fresh herbs, garlic, or hot red pepper flakes, if desired.

Vegetable with Prep and Cooking Method:

Asparagus: Trim tough ends, slice in 1/2 lengthwise & cut into 1/2" pieces. Blanch until crisp tender (1 min.) Drain well, and saute til tender (3 mins.)

Broccoli/Cauliflower: Cut into florets; blanch until crisp-tender (2 min.) drain well, chop into 1/4" pieces, and saute until tender (4 mins.)

Eggplant: Cut into 1/2" dice; roast until tender (35 mins at 400)

Fennel: Cut bulb into v. thin strips; saute or roast until tender (15 mins for saute or 30 mins at 400)

Mushrooms: Trim and slice; saute or roast until golden (8 mins saute or 20 mins at 400)

Onions: Peel and cut into thin slices; saute or roast until soft and golden (5-7 mins for saute or 20 mins at 400)

Spinach/Swiss Chard: Wash, stem, chop. Saute til wilted (5 mins.)

Zucchini: Cut into 1/2" dice; saute or roast til tender, about 7 mins for saute or 35 mins at 400.

From The Complete Book of Pasta & Noodles
(Cooks Illustrated)

REC: Noodles with Chiles, Chicken, and Basil

Noodles with Chiles, Chicken, and Basil

12 oz. fettuccine
2 tbsp. peanut oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
5 small dried hot red chiles, or to taste
1/3 to 1/2 lb. ground chicken (I chop up chicken breasts in the food processor)
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
Salt, if necessary
Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Cook and drain the fettuccine, then toss with half the oil.

2. Heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat in a wok or a large, deep non-stick skillet for a minute or so, until the first wisp of smoke appears. Add the garlic and chiles and cook, stirring, for a minute. Add the meat and trun the heat to medium. Cook, stirring and mashing with a wooden spoon to break up clumps.

3. When almost all the traces of pink disappear, add the soy sauce and the sugar; stir to mix. Add the drained noodles and toss and stir to combine. Add the vinegar and most of the basil. Stir and taste; add salt if necessary. Serve, garnished with the remaining basil and passing the crushed red pepper on the side.

Adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything

Pesto and Goat Cheese Quesadillas

Well, Meryl, I can't really say this is a recipe, but here's what I do.

4 eight-inch flour tortillas
2-3 tbsp prepared pesto sauce
1/2 small onion sliced as thinly as you can, rings separated
3-4 oz. goat cheese at room temperature (to make it spreadable)

Spread a thin layer of prepared pesto sauce over two of the tortillas.

Spread a layer of goat cheese on each of the remaining two tortillas.

I build these one at a time in the skillet.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place one pesto tortilla, pesto side-up, in the skillet. Scatter a single layer of onion rings across the pesto. Top with a goat-cheese tortilla (cheese-side down!).

Cook about 2 minutes. Turn and cook another 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas appear toasted. Keep warm in low oven while you cook the other quesadilla.

Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Serve.

Back