Inspired by above post, what's your "top 10" personal recipes of all time?

mariadnoca

After reading the above post regarding sorting/keeping recipes I wondered if any of us could come up with our personal "top ten" list of favorite tried and true recipes.

Not sure I could narrow it down that much so, bonus if you can give top ten (or so) by category.

This might be fun -or the 7th circle of hell, I'm not sure which, LOL!

How about narrowing it down to our top 5 main dishes, sides, desserts, and appetizers or

something like that?

REC: Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes (you don't have to use a slow cooker!)

These are absolutely delicious and freakishly easy to make:

Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Recipe Source: WhiteOnRiceCouple.com.
Yield: Serves 4-6

Total Time: 8 hours

Ingredients:

3 pounds of Potatoes (1360 g), washed and sliced to about 1/8"-1/4"
I used 4 lbs. ALSO You can keep the skin on or you can peel, but either way DO NOT rinse the potatoes AFTER you slice them.
3.5 cups (590ml) Heavy Whipping Cream
I used 4 cups of "manufacturing cream"--extra, extra rich
1.5 teaspoons (8g) Sea Salt (based on how salty your cheese is)
1/2 teaspoon (1g) freshly grated Nutmeg (or 1/4 teaspoon of dry nutmeg)
I leave out if I am out of nutmeg

1 teaspoon (2g) freshly grated Black Pepper
To taste is good here
2 cups (170g) grated extra sharp Cheddar Cheese
the first time I made this recipe, I used 8 oz of smoked, fresh mozzarella and it was DELICIOUS!
1 cup (80g) freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
I used about 1/2 heaping cupful

Directions:

In large bowl, combine heavy cream, salt, nutmeg, black pepper. Stir well. Add potato slices and gently stir to coat potatoes with cream mixture. (Here is where I mix in the grated Parmesan)
In small bowl, combine grated cheeses.
Spray or add thin layer of oil on inside of crock pot. In three parts, layer potatoes and cheese. **refer to step-by-step photographs
After layering of potatoes and cheese is finished, pour left over cream mixture evenly over potatoes.
Cook on high for 6-8 hours, gently stirring 3 times every 2 hours. When stirring, with wooden spoon, gently scrape the edges inside the slow cooker free of the cheese. When finished stirring, press potato slices down evenly into the cheese sauce.

Now, if you want to cook this in the oven, follow above procedures but layer potato/cream mixture and cheese(s) into a large, glass, rectangular baking pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350º F for about an hour, then take foil off and cook until potatoes in middle are tender and all is bubbly and browned, including the middle. MAKE SURE you press down the potatoes into the cream mixture several times while cooking, as mentioned above.

Top Appetizers: Blue cheese broiled tomatoes, Bruschetta with roasted peppers and goat cheese,

Roasted tomatoes with garlic and gorgonzola, Spinach stuffed mushrooms, salmon canapes, black olive tapenade.

Top Main Dishes: Southwestern chicken skillet, Oven glazed Caribbean chicken, Easy orange chicken,

Pasta with roasted vegetables and garlic broth, Sweet peppers with pasta, Pan-fried trout with green onions, Saffron mussels.

Top Side Dishes and Salads: Roasted Asparagus with crisp shallots, Parmesan green beans,

Salade de concombres et chevre, Thai cucumber salad, Carrot, orange and radish salad, Curried couscous salad with dried cranberries, citrus green bean salad.

my favorite appetizers

Bacon Jam
Creamy Olive Spread
Crostini with Fennel Sausage
Fromage Fort
Manchengo Cheese Crackers
Olive-Oil-Fried Almonds
Prosciutto-Wrapped Greens
Roasted Garlic Hummus
Spicy Sweet Potato Dip

Ok, y'all are too healthy for me...top 10 desserts

Brownie sandwiches with salted caramel buttercream
Peanut butter cookies (plain or filled)
Tres leches cake
Jamie's coconut cake from Paula Dean
Dark chocolate cake from scratch with fudge frosting or peanut butter frosting
Mexican Flan
Black Russian cake
Chocolate chip cookies
Buttery shortbread
Baklava

Baked goods

Plum Kuchen
Southern Kitchen cinnamon rolls
Betty Crocker's butterscotch brownies
My Scotch Shortbread recipe from Mary Orr in Scotland
Joe's Fig Rye
Sally Lunn
Betty Crocker thumbprint cookies
French bread I made with pain de campagne starter & KAF French flour
Hot Water Gingerbread
Macarons just because they're notoriously hard to nail & mine turned out perfectly & beautiful-I was so proud of those smileys/smile.gif

Top Desserts: The "Baked" brownies, Chocolate sour cream bundt cake, Devil's food cake with

chocolate ganache, Mexican chocolate icebox cake, Orange butter cake, Streusel topped triple berry coffee cake, Thomas Keller's chocolate chip cookies, Chocolate espresso chews, Dark chocolate truffles, Bittersweet chocolate ice cream...

Main Dishes (but I'm allowed to change my mind!)

This is my favorite or go to "fancy/company" beef dish:
Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallots, Bacon and Port

Favorite simple feed a crowd tri-tip on the grill dish:
Stupidly Simple Roasted Garlic and Pineapple Tri Tip Marinade

This is darn near like candy to me:
Pork Tenderloin with Sage

This recipe saved my behind one Christmas Eve when at around 3pm I found out I was now making/hosting the dinner, so for that alone I'll give it a place of honor. Oh and it's yummy too.
Pork Tenderloin with Balsamic-Cranberry Sauce

Salmon a la Brett
Salmon filet, butter, Lawry's, green onions baked in foil

Mom's Enchiladas

Back