ISO: deb_in-MI need recipe for Shrimp with Feta and Tomatoes from Bon App

marilynfl

Apparently there is now a pay wall and I'm on the other side of it.
Could you please copy/paste the recipe in here?

maybe this will work

Attachments

• Shrimp With Feta and Tomatoes Recipe Bon Appétit.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 13
ya ya I think that worked. It is a challenge to work around all the restrictions now. And I am sure not going to pay BA for a subscription.

Shrimp with Feta and Tomatoes

bonappetit.com

shrimp-with-feta-and-tomatoes-202308190329335199367wq2yo.jpg

Per deb_in-Mi
Servings: 4
Ingredients
    • 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined, patted dry
    • Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
    • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
    • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    • 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    • 2 Tbsp. double-concentrated tomato paste
    • 2 lb. plum tomatoes, chopped
    • ¼ cup finely chopped basil
    • 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
    • 1 tsp. sugar
    • ½ cup dry white wine
    • 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    • ¼ cup finely chopped parsley, plus more for serving
    • 2 oz. feta, crumbled
    • Toasted country-style bread (for serving)
Steps
    • Heat 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Add 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined, patted dry, in a single layer; season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook until shrimp are bright pink and nearly cooked through, about 1 minute per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to a plate.
    • Reduce heat to medium and melt 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter in same skillet. Cook 1 medium onion, finely chopped, stirring often, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp. double-concentrated tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until darkened in color, about 3 minutes. Add 2 lb. plum tomatoes, chopped, ¼ cup finely chopped basil, 2 tsp. Dijon mustard, and 1 tsp. sugar; stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are beginning to fall apart and juices have thickened, 12–15 minutes.
    • Pour in ½ cup dry white wine and 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Return shrimp along with any accumulated juices to skillet; stir in ¼ cup finely chopped parsley. Remove from heat and scatter 2 oz. feta, crumbled, over.
    • Heat broiler. Transfer skillet to oven; broil until cheese is browned in spots and shrimp is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
    • Divide among shallow bowls; top with more parsley. Serve with toasted country-style bread.

So now what do I do with all this feta? Does it freeze?

I made a sort of Basque sauce poaching an egg last night, feta on top. Not all that different. But what a huge hunk of feta I have left. Not a big fan of it so I dunno.

ya ya I think that worked. It is a challenge to work around all the restrictions now. And I am sure not going to pay BA for a subscription.
I downloaded a program called Paprika 3. It cost $4.99. I have been able to work around most barriers and download the recipe into the Paprika app. It took me awhile to figure out everything but now I really like it.
I need to figure out how to download my recipes from my old HandyCook.

marg, you have friends over often. Have you tried kpinky's feta, pink peppercorn and herbs de Provence appetizer? So simple and tasty. Place a block of feta on a dish with a rim, drizzle with olive oil, top with crushed PINK peppercorns and sprinkle on seasoning. Serve with crusty bread or crackers or veggies.

Also, this whipped feta appetizer dish is delicious:

Last edited:
I downloaded a program called Paprika 3. It cost $4.99. I have been able to work around most barriers and download the recipe into the Paprika app. It took me awhile to figure out everything but now I really like it.
I need to figure out how to download my recipes from my old HandyCook.
I use copy me that. It’s a free program, but I finally upgraded to the paid version. The free version is extremely usable though. I tried/have paprika as well, but like using cmt better.

I love feta in salads! I toss it in most dinner salads.

Several of us here have made this and imho it’s tdf:

Yotam Ottolenghi's Sweet Corn Polenta with Eggplant Sauce

food52.com

Meal Plan Queue

yotam_ottolenghis_sweet_corn_polenta_wit_20190825054218129030cen4y.jpg

Outstanding, just tdf
Ingredients
    • Eggplant Sauce
    • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
    • 1 medium eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch dice
    • 2 teaspoons tomato paste
    • 1/4 cup dry white wine
    • 1 cup chopped peeled tomatoes (fresh or canned)
    • 6 1/2 tablespoons water
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
    • 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
    • Polenta
    • 6 ears of corn
    • 2 1/4 cups water
    • 3 tablespoons butter, diced
    • 7 ounces feta, crumbled
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 pinch Black pepper
Steps
    • Eggplant Sauce:
    • Heat up the oil in a large saucepan and fry the eggplant on medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until nicely brown. Drain off as much oil as you can and discard it -- the safest way to do this is to scoop out the eggplant to a plate using a slotted spoon, then pour off the oil into a bowl before adding the eggplant back in. You can save the oil to fry lamb chops or eggs in tomorrow.
    • Add the tomato paste to the pan and stir with the eggplant. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, water, salt, sugar and oregano and cook for a further 5 minutes to get a deep-flavored sauce. Set aside; warm it up when needed.
    • Polenta:
    • Remove the leaves and "silk" from each ear of corn, then chop off the pointed top and stalk. Use a sharp knife to shave off the kernels -- either stand each ear upright on its base and shave downward, or lay each ear on its side on a cutting board to slice off the kernels. You want to have 1 1/4 pounds kernels.
    • Place the kernels in a medium saucepan and barely cover them with the water. Cook for 12 minutes on a low simmer. Use a slotted spoon to lift the kernels from the water and into a food processor; reserve the cooking liquid.
    • Process them for quite a few minutes, to break as much of the kernel case as possible. Add some of the cooking liquid if the mixture becomes too dry to process.
    • * Now return the corn paste to the pan with the cooking liquid and cook, while stirring, on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mixture thickens to mashed potato consistency. (Be aware that if you have a lot of liquid left in the pan, it can take a while to cook down the polenta, and it will sputter. Consider holding back some or all of the liquid. >>Alternately, if you like the consistency after processing, you can skip to step 5.)
    • Fold in the butter, the feta, salt and some pepper and optionally cook for a further 2 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Notes
    • * Huge splatter and looong time cooking out liquid. Wouldn’t do this again

Okay but maybe just the idea of a polenta base with some tomato sauce (there are still lots coming in from the countryside right now) and feta, without the splattering. Why does it have to sputter/splatter? Good plan. And the crostini. More eating to come.

So now what do I do with all this feta? Does it freeze?

I made a sort of Basque sauce poaching an egg last night, feta on top. Not all that different. But what a huge hunk of feta I have left. Not a big fan of it so I dunno.

Marg, I freeze feta cheese all the time and enjoy it on this recipe which I serve along with rice. Wigs

Shrimp Saganaki (Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes & Feta)

By Jennifer Segal, adapted from Betsy Goldstein's recipe

One of my go-to weeknight dinners: Greek shrimp nestled in a spiced tomato sauce, topped with chunks of feta, and then baked until golden.

Shrimp saganaki, the classic Greek dish of shrimp in a spicy tomato sauce with feta cheese, can be made almost entirely from pantry and freezer staples, so it’s one of my go-to meals when I have to hit the kitchen running. You begin by making a quick tomato sauce on the stovetop. Then you nestle the shrimp in the sauce, top it with chunks of feta, and slide the pan into the oven to bake. Before serving, you flash the pan under the broiler to brown the feta and then sprinkle fresh mint over top. All that’s left to do is set the pan in the center of the table for everyone to dig in. The sauce is plentiful and packed with flavor, so be sure to serve lots of crusty bread on the side to sop it up.

NOTE from Wigs: I tried this for the first time over 4th of July weekend a couple years ago, and it is a keeper. View original recipe with picture at: Shrimp Saganaki (Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes & Feta) - Once Upon a Chef

Prep Time: 10 Minutes

Cook Time: 40 Minutes

Total Time: 50 Minutes

INGREDIENTS

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil3/4 cup finely chopped shallots, from about 3 shallots

4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (I minced. wigs)

1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes (I used a 35-oz can of CENTO Italian Style whole tomatoes that I pulsed a couple times in the Cuisinart before using. wigs)

1-1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (use less if you are heat-sensitive--Jenn Segal)

1 tablespoon honey

1-1/2 pounds extra large shrimp (26/30), peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen

6 ounces feta cheese (I used a 7-oz block & crumbled myself. wigs)

3/4 teaspoon dried oregano

2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 400°F; set one oven rack in the middle position and another about 5 inches underneath the broiler. Heat the olive oil in a wide oven-proof skillet (see note) over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not brown. Add the tomatoes with their juices, salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, and honey. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Off the heat, arrange the shrimp over the tomato sauce in an even layer. Crumble the feta over the shrimp, and then sprinkle with the oregano. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked (the cooking time will depend on the size of the shrimp). Turn on the broiler. Using an oven mitt, carefully transfer the pan to the higher oven rack and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the feta is golden brown in spots. Using an oven mitt, remove the pan from the oven (and immediately place the oven mitt or a dishtowel over the handle of the pan because it's very easy to forget that it is burning hot). Let the shrimp rest for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with mint and serve.

Note: If you do not have an oven-proof skillet, simply transfer the tomato sauce to a 9-by-13-inch or equivalent broiler-safe baking dish and proceed from there.

PAIR WITH Crusty Artisan Bread

Back