ISO: ISO menu suggestions: I'd really like some suggestions on what to serve for a VERY special dinner

In Search Of:

cynupstateny

party.Appys, desert, sides and even wine (guests will be friends and family members who know and appreciate good wine. I tend to take the advice of the liquor store owner)

The main course will be Lisa's Boefs en Croute.

I have about two weeks but I really want it to be special so I'm starting early.

Anything that can be started ahead would be greatly appreciated so I don't have to spend the pre-dinner hours in the kitchen.

I know you guys will come through for me as you usually do!

Soups are easy to do days ahead. And appetizers...

You could do a pumpkin soup, very colourful. Use cumin and coriander to spice it up and cream to make it smooth. I start with chopped shallots and basically, other than the pumpkin, that's all there is in it. I top it with sour cream and chopped cilantro. Easy, pretty and delicious.

For appetizers, a couple of favourites: eggplant caviar using the hollowed out eggplant to serve it in, can be made a day ahead. It's a chopped tomato and dill based spread. I don't have the recipe on file so would have to go scouting for it. I serve it on sesame crackers.

ANd Caviar pie is beautiful and unique, also a day ahead.

Caviar Pie

I would do 1/2 of this for 4-6 people.
I like to serve it on plain Carr's type table water crackers.

2-3 ripe avocados, peeled and THINLY sliced
6 hard-cooked eggs
4 T. green onion, finely chopped
5-6 T. mayo
¼ t. Dijon mustard (I always use Maille)
2 T. chopped parsley
half lemon
salt and pepper
1 ½ c. sour cream
13 ½ oz. jar lumpfish caviar, very thoroughly drained (black)

Dip the sliced avocado in lemon juice and arrange on the bottom of a quiche or pie plate. Mash the cooked eggs and combine with the green onion, mayo, mustard, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

Spool an even layer over the avocados, then blend sour cream with additional 1/3 t. Dijon and spread this over the top. There should be about ¼ “ layer of sour cream. Sprinkle top with caviar, cover and chill for several hours.

Guests spoon the creamy pie onto the cracker for nibbling.

Note: It is very important to drain the caviar first. I put it into a fine strainer and carefully stir it from time to time. Otherwise the black liquid is quite unattractive as it oozes out onto the creamy white surface.

ANother eady one is Bagna Cauda. If you have a fondu pot. A dipping for raw vegetables that is

just lots of garlic and butter melting away in the pot.

Here is a recipe for some yummy Green Beans

GREEN BEANS WITH ROASTED ONIONS

In this recipe, green beans are enhanced with buttery, slow-roasted onions that have been stirred into a sweetened vinegar sauce.

Nonstick vegetables oil spray
6 medium onions (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, each cut vertically through root end into 12 to 14 wedges
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter

2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

3 pounds slender green beans, ends trimmed

Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray 2 heavy large baking sheets with vegetable oil spray. Arrange onions in single layer on prepared sheets.

Dot onions with 4 tablespoons butter, dividing equally. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until onions are dark brown on bottom, about 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, boil broth in heavy large skillet over high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to boil.

Add onions to sauce; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat before continuing.)

Cook green beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well. Return beans to same pot. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss to coat. Mound beans in large shallow bowl. Top with onion mixture and serve.

Serves 12.

Bon Appétit
November 1995

I highly recommend these. REC: Shrimp Cakes

I recently made these for 2 catering events and they were raved about. They are easy to work with, can be made one or two days ahead in their entirety, and then reheated in the oven. I made them about 50 cent piece size instead of the large ones the recipe calls for and put a dollop of roasted red pepper aioli on each one. (I used a squeeze bottle.) 3x the recipe made about 100, so you should be able to get 30-35 of the small size ones from a single recipe. (give or take)

These are like crab cakes, but made with shrimp. The mixture is sticky and doesn't fall apart when you fry them.

Oh, and since you whiz it up in a food processor, I didn't use the large shrimp, which are more expensive. I used a smaller count. (Like 41 count or so) If you do this, save yourself a little work and buy them peeled already. Hubby was NOT happy when I informed him he needed to peel and clean about 200 shrimp for the catering event.

SHRIMP CAKES

16 uncooked large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled, deveined
1 large egg
1 green onion, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2 tablespoons (or more) peanut oil

Coarsely chop shrimp in processor. Add egg, green onion, lemon juice, mustard, cilantro, hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper. Blend in using on/off turns. Add 1 cup panko and blend in using on/off turns. Form mixture into twelve 3-inch-diameter cakes. Roll cakes in remaining 1 cup panko; transfer to waxed-paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate 10 minutes. (Can be made up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry cakes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to skillet as needed, about 6 minutes.

Market tip: Unseasoned Japanese breadcrumbs called panko, give these shrimp cakes a light, crispy coating. Dry white breadcrumbs make a good substitute. Panko is available in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets and at Asian markets.

Makes 6 first-course servings.

Bon Appétit
September 2005
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar, Maui

In the appetizer section here there is a rec for smoked salmon cheesecake that is elegant and

good made ahead. Also, I posted the Killer Tomato dish in vegetables. Always a nice side to beef. The cranberry walnut salad posted up above sounded like it was a great hit.

Hi Cyn - here are some suggestions:

For Appetizers:
Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
Salmon Canapes
Bruschetta with Roasted Peppers and Goat Cheese
Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes

Vegetable Side Dish:
Roasted Asparagus With Crisp Shallots

Cakes:
Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake

Devil's Food Cake With Fluffy White Frosting (This has a dark chocolate ganache filling, which I use for both the filling and frosting)

Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake (posted in the Favorite Recipes Folder)

Orange Butter Cake (posted in the Favorite Recipes Folder)

Let me know if you want me to post any of the above.

FoodMuse, here ya go>>>

BLUE CHEESE BROILED TOMATOES

INGREDIENTS:

4 large Tomatoes (I used plum tomatoes, about 7 large)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt (I used 1/8 tsp)
dash pepper (I used more)
1 cup soft bread crumbs (I used fine dry breadcrumbs)
2 tbs melted butter
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (I used a little more)

*(Note: I preheated oven to 350 F. Placed tomatoes with blue cheese topping on baking sheet lined with foil, then baked about 5 minutes on lower middle oven rack, until the tomatoes were just heated through. I then turned on the broiler and broiled a few minutes, until the topping was golden brown).

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cut stems off tomatoes and cut each tomato into two thick slices (in half). Put on broiler rack.
2. Combine sugar, basil, salt and pepper and sprinkle little of mixture on each tomato slice.
3. Add bread crumbs to melted butter and toss lightly with a fork. Add blue cheese and toss again lightly. Spoon on tomato slices and slip under broiler until crumbs are nicely browned, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.

posted by Leslie O

Decent Love Apples

I'm in Manhattan so if I hit a Whole Foods and pay $5 a tomato(slight exageration) I can get a fairly decent "love apple".

The French gave tomatoes the name pomme d'amour. Why does everything sound better in Frech.

Meryl love your recipe Thank you so much. I think I'll make these for my New Years Eve dinner.

Hi Meryl. I think I'm doing the Shrimp Cakes from Carianna for the appy.

The asparagus with shallots sound perfect. Would love that one and the Mexican Chocolate Cake, please. Do you think I should also do a salad and potato? I need another side.

You're welcome, FoodMuse. Say hello to "Manhattan" for me ....

I lived there for many years - that's where my roots are. I miss it terribly!

Hey Cyn, here are the recipes....

(I usually serve the Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake at room temperature, because the texture is creamier than when it's served right from the refrigerator).

ROASTED ASPARAGUS WITH CRISP SHALLOTS

INGREDIENTS:

3-4 Tbsp olive oil, divided (I use extra virgin)
2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 pounds asparagus spears, trimmed
1/8 tsp salt
A few pinches freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp finely grated orange peel

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 450 F (425 F for dark pans).

In a skillet, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat and saute shallots for 5 minutes. Set aside.

In a shallow roasting pan or baking pan, toss asparagus spears with remaining 1-2 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.

Bake until asparagus is tender, about 8-10 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat.

Add orange peel to roasting pan, mixing well.

To serve, place asparagus on plates and sprinkle with shallots.

Makes 6 servings.

Adapted from my files.

MEXICAN CHOCOLATE ICEBOX CAKE

"There's a hint of cinnamon in the chocolate filling and the whipped cream topping."

INGREDIENTS:

60 sponge-cake-type ladyfingers (from three 3-ounce packages - use the ones that are split in half) (*Note: Some reviewers brushed the ladyfingers with liqueur, such as Kahlua, or with strong coffee - I leave them plain)
2 3/4 cups chilled whipping cream (heavy cream)
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (*Note: I suggest using a mild cinnamon)
1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated (I use 1 1/2 - 2 ounces)

DIRECTIONS:

Line bottom of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with ladyfingers. Line sides of pan with ladyfingers, standing ladyfingers side by side and rounded side out.

Stir 3/4 cup whipping cream, unsweetened chocolate and 1/4 cup sugar in heavy small saucepan over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove saucepan from heat and cool to room temperature.

Using electric mixer, beat 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla in large bowl until blended. Beat in cooled chocolate mixture.

(Tip: Chill clean dry beaters and a second large mixer bowl in freezer until cold before whipping cream.)
Combine remaining 2 cups cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and cinnamon in chilled large mixer bowl. Using clean dry beaters, beat until firm peaks form.

Fold half of whipped cream mixture into chocolate mixture.
Spread half of chocolate filling in ladyfinger-lined pan. Top with layer of ladyfingers, then remaining chocolate filling.

Pipe or spread remaining whipped cream mixture over filling. Sprinkle with grated semisweet chocolate.

Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours. (Note: 3 hours is not long enough for the cake to set - I recommend chilling overnight). (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)

Remove pan sides from cake and serve. (I prefer serving this cake at room temperature).

Serves 12.

Bon Appetit
August 1999
www.epicurious.com

Oh, forgot to add, yes, I think a potato dish would be good -

maybe a salad, too, depending on how big everyone's appetites are.

Hi Meryl, that Mexican Ice Box cake looks great - similar to tiramisu, which I *love*.

We will give this a try for our New Year's Feast instead of the Tres Leches Cake.

I would also suggest soup, and a nice green salad with frico - so easy and do-ahead.

With the beef - I like to do roasted potatoes, or smashed potatoes - which is where you get baby potatoes, steam them til tender. Smash with a heavy bottomed pan to open them up, but not disintegrate them. Drizzle with garlicky butter & olive oil, then roast til nicely browned and crispy. You could steam and smash in advance, then drizzle and roast right before. Sprinkle with minced parsley or chives to serve.

The puff pastry rolls sliced and baked are great as well, you can smear the puff pastry with different pestos, roll and chill. Then slice and bake right as the guests arrive.

Have fun, and let us know how everything goes!

Back