ISO: ISO menu suggestions: I'd really like some suggestions on what to serve for a VERY special dinner

In Search Of:
Easy and pretty - parmesan disks or wafers. To make them,

heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Take about a 1/4 cup of grated parmesan and sprinkle it in the pan to make a rough circle shape. When it begins to bubble and melt together, remove it from the heat to cool for a bit, then remove from the pan with a spatula and set on a flat surface to cool completely. Makes a lacy disk that is delicious as a garnish to a green salad.

You can also form them into shapes while still warm - I've seen them draped over a small bowl to make a parmesan bowl to serve salad in, or rolled into cones. If you want to attempt shapes other than the flat disks, I recommend practicing beforehand - I've not had great luck with anything beyond the basic disks. They are yummy!

These can be made in the oven as well using parchment or

silpat or non stick pans. And they are really good!

Lisa- question on the potatoes. After smashing and oiling and garlicking>>

do you then just place in a pan and bake for a while? I've never done them like this but they sould wonderful!

Hi Cyn - yes, you just roast them til they are nice and brown -

I wish I could remember the specific place I first saw this, but I cannot locate nor remember it. I have included a link to a recipe that is very similar, but uses one large potato per person, and just oil. I like to mix butter and olive oil and heat with with some smashed cloves of garlic, then drizzle that over the potatoes and place on a well-oiled baking sheet.

The original I saw, and what I prefer to do, uses very small Baby potatoes. When I can, I get these very tiny Dutch potatoes from Trader Joe's - I'm not sure if that is an option for you.

http://www.abc-canada.org/fld/recipe_smashed_potatoes.shtml

Back