ISO: ISO New ideas for blue cheese? I usually just eat it with fruit or on top...

In Search Of:

dawnnys

of a salad, but yesterday while I was standing in front of the cheese department (at which I counted 17 different brands of blue cheese!!) I began to wonder how else I could use it.

Thanks, looking forward to ideas because I bought 4 of them. Thought I'd test and compare, see if any of them are different from what I am used to. One I tried had little hard cyrstals in the veins. Does that seem right, or should I take it back? I forgot the brand, but I think it was from the Netherlands.

Thanks.

Some ideas...

I marinate, then grill asparagus and sprinkle over.
I like it sprinkled on hot cream of leek and potato soup.
Always with fruits such as pear, in a salad.
Makes great biscuits.
Creamy sauce for beef tenderloin or with lots of onions & veal.
On grilled portabello.
Sorry, I thought all the means would come out of my head easily. I must be in slow gear.

REC: Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes

These are delicious!

BLUE CHEESE BROILED TOMATOES

INGREDIENTS:

4 large Tomatoes (I used plum tomatoes, about 7 large)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt (I used 1/8 tsp)
dash pepper (I used more)
1 cup soft bread crumbs (I used fine dry breadcrumbs)
2 tbs melted butter
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (I used a little more)

*(Note: I preheated oven to 350 F. Placed tomatoes with blue cheese topping on baking sheet lined with foil, then baked about 5 minutes on lower middle oven rack, until the tomatoes were just heated through. I then turned on the broiler and broiled a few minutes, until the topping was golden brown).

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cut stems off tomatoes and cut each tomato into two thick slices (in half). Put on broiler rack.
2. Combine sugar, basil, salt and pepper and sprinkle little of mixture on each tomato slice.
3. Add bread crumbs to melted butter and toss lightly with a fork. Add blue cheese and toss again lightly. Spoon on tomato slices and slip under broiler until crumbs are nicely browned, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.

Posted by Leslie O

More ideas - great with pasta, steak, etc. >>>

I haven't tried the following recipe yet, (had great reviews), but have made something similar - very good.

PENNE PASTA WITH TOMATOES, HERBS, AND BLUE CHEESE

Serving suggestion: Serve with Caesar Salad and Bruschetta.

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 lb penne pasta, cooked al dente (posted used whole wheat)
8 ounces blue cheese, half crumbled finely,the other half crumbled into larger pieces (poster used reduced fat)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
salt
pepper

Saute the diced onion in olive oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
Add the minced garlic and saute one minute longer.
Add the tomatoes with juices, red wine and dried oregano to the onion-garlic mixture and simmer until most of the juices are gone, about 8-10 minutes.
Add the salt and pepper to taste and reduce heat to low.
Simmer covered, on very low heat, while the Penne Pasta is cooking, about 8 minutes.
Add the crumbled blue cheese and half of the fresh basil to the sauce mixture.
Stir until the sauce has become creamy.
Pour the tomato sauce over the hot cooked pasta and toss with the remaining fresh basil.
Spoon pasta into serving bowl and garnish with whole fresh basil leaves.

8-10 servings

Adapted from "The California Wine Country Cookbook II."

posted at Recipezaar

A friend does a yummy salad of spinach, caramilised walnuts and blue, I

dont have the recipe for the dressing but if you'd likt it I'll get it from her and post it.
I dont like blue cheese much but LOVE this salad...so good.

It's great on hamburgers. Or as a stuffing for a burger if you want to get fancy >>

I posted a recipe for fig-rye bread a while back, and I use that bread (you could use whole wheat or raisin bread) to make toast, then top it with blue cheese and broil it to serve on a salad with sliced pears and toasted walnuts. It makes a great first course.

This REC: Gorgonzola with Fig Conserve from Italia Mag would be good with any blue...

Gorgonzola with Fig Conserve

Recipe By :Italia Magazine
Serving Size : 8

1 cup Dried Figs
1 cup Port Wine
1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
1 teaspoon Orange Zest
1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Pecans and walnuts
1 pinch salt and pepper

Gorgonzola cheese

Macerate figs in port and zests overnight

Drain figs. Bring Port mixture, vinegar, sugar, nuts and salt & pepper to a boil. Add Figs, cover and simmer 25-30 minutes.

Cool covered and serve with Gorgonzola.

Easy Pork Chops from Deb in MI>>>>

Boneless pork chops (I like to brine them, first)
Pesto sauce
Sliced ripe tomatoes
Crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

Place the pork chops on baking dish, & season with s & p.. spread the surface with pesto sauce,
placed the sliced tomatoes on top, and sprinkle with crumbled gorgonzola.
Bake in a 425 oven, until they reach desired doneness. Yummmm! Easy & delicious.
Thanks, Deb for a "keeper" that I use again & again!

Rec: Eggplant-Blue Cheese Spread

This is one of my favorites.

Eggplant-Blue Cheese Sspread

1 large eggplant, diced
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 ounces good quality blue cheese, crumbled
ground black pepper
salt

Mix eggplant and salt, then let sit for about 10 minutes. Heat olive oil in large pan until hot. Add eggplant; cook until browned without stirring. Then stir once and cook another 3-4 minutes. Add the onion; cook until tender, Add garlic and stir. Remove from stove and add balsamic vinegar. Cool for 15 minutes and add crumbled blue cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste

RECS: Tortellini with Gorgonzola, Blue Cheese Bisque, Celery and Blue Cheese Salad..

These are all tried and true. The bisque is excellent as is the salad. Very simple ingredients with very complex flavors. I sure wish hubby didn't dislike blue cheese, because I love it!

* Exported from MasterCook *

CINDI'S TORTELLINI WITH GORGONZOLA

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup walnut or pecan halves
1 pound broccoli florets
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
12 ounces fresh tortellini or
8 ounces dry tortellini
1/2 cup onion -- finely chopped
1/2 cup Gorgonzola or other blue cheese -- packed and crumbled
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

Cut chicken crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Set aside. Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces. Set aside. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring often until crisp. Watch carefully so you don't burn them. Drain nuts on a paper towel. Melt 1 more tablespoon butter in frying pan and cook chicken until done. Set aside. Add the broccoli to the frying pan and 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth. Cover and cook stirring occasionally, until tender. Add more broth if needed. Place aside with chicken. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain and set aside. While pasta is cooking Add remaining tablespoon of butter to frying pan. Cook onion over medium high heat, stirring often, until onion is soft. Sprinkle cornstarch over onion, stirring to mix well. Add 1 1/4 cups broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and stir in 3/4 of the blue cheese, until smoothly blended. Add pepper, c

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blue Cheese Bisque

Recipe By : Noggins Restaurant
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cold Soups Dawn's Recipe
Formulating Recipes Soup
Soups And Stews Soups/Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method1 1/8 tablespoons butter
1 onion -- chopped
1/3 cup vermouth
1 pound artichoke hearts
1 1/2 pints chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup blue cheese -- (2 ounces)
chives

Saute onions in butter for 10 minutes over medium heat. Add vermouth and simmer for 4 minutes. Add artichokes, broth and thyme. Simmer utnil artichokes start to fall apart, about 10 minutes. Stir in cream and blue cheese, simmer until melted. Puree. Sprinkle with chives.

Celery and Blue Cheese Salad

Recipe By : Saveur
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method8 ribs celery, well-traimmed -- cut in 1/2" slices
4 ounces Maytag or other bleu cheese
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper -- to taste

Cut 8 trimmed celery ribs crosswise into 1/2'' pieces, transfer to a bowl, the crumbled Maytag or other good blue cheese, extra-virgin olive oil, a little salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Gently toss. Serve this salad well chilled.

Thanks joanie, I do have that recipe (good with chopped apples too). But thanks for offering.

Sorry, I misread your post! I have a quasi-recipe for the salad, but I am sure I don't have your friend's dressing recipe. ;o)

So if you like it, it's probably good, and I'd love the dressing recipe. Thanks!

Here's a recipe I got from Domaine Chandon in Napa

I love this spread and have made it for years for catering jobs. Since I have started working for Williams Sonoma I have made an addition to my recipe. We were demoing our Olivier dipping oils and I thought our Caramelized Blue Cheese and Onion dipping oil would work well with this. so here's the recipe with the addition.

Chandon Spread

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 oz. Blue cheese (I may use about 3 oz.)
2 T. walnuts, chopped (I may do a little more)
1 T. chives, chopped
1 T. parlsey, chopped
1 loaf sourdough bread
1-2 T. Olivier Blue Cheese and Caramelized Oil

Chop walnuts, chives and parsley. Mix together with crumbled blue cheese and cream cheese until creamy; Add the dipping oil now. Spread on serving platter and pour more of the blue cheese oil over this. Serve with sliced baguettees.

Hi Sherry - glad you made it... I never heard of Olivier Blue Cheese and Caramelized Oil...

Is it at WS? What would you use it for? Seems like an interesting combination - cheese and oil (scratching my head thinking how they would caramelize oil).

Thanks for the recipe.

Back