ISO: ISO savory shippable food gift recipes. Family would prefer less sweets.

In Search Of:

mariadnoca

It’s tradition I send a box of homemade goodies to my sister’s family for Christmas, but as we all get older nobody really wants a box of that many cookies/sweets. Even jam didn’t go over big.

Any ideas for less sweet recipes I can mail/gift?

I love a good jerky or pepperoni sticks, many of the grocery stores or meat shops

of the grocery stores make their own now. There are lots of great chips out now made out of healthy ingredients. Our local grain mill has several that are excellent, ask at a health food store for some customer faves. Sent along with a good commercial dip or even a homemade one, if you want to do that.

Lesley Stowe Raincoast Crisps in cranberry and hazelnut crackers are awesome and so are their Rosemary blend. They come from Canada, are are great with fig jam, or goat cheese. Most well stocked super markets carry them in the deli section. Fancy cheeses are always a treat for me to receive as are fancy mustards.
We watch a neighbors house all the time and they bring us mostly savory stuff that is made in the county where their second home is located...such a treat to get things like that.

In years gone by, I have made things like mustards and chutneys

and put them into small jars for gifting.

If this is something you'd like to do, I can probably gather a few recipes for you.
I found Helen Witty's books, like "Fancy Pantry" to be very helpful for this kind of recipe.

Moravian sugar cake which is a different kind of sweet. buttered pecans, jams and

jellies.
I also have done mustard )a hot and sweet that is delicious).

How about Granola? You can control the sweetness, sweeten with maple syrup, etc

I have a nice recipe (have to find it) granola made with coconut oil. LMK if interested and I'll look for it.

Great Gift Mustard

And the other one-

* Exported from MasterCook *

Great Gift Mustard

Recipe By :Bon Appetit
Serving Size : 1
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc. Condiments And Marinades

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 Cup Dry Mustard
1 Cup Tarragon Vinegar
1 Cup Sugar
2 Egg Yolks -- beaten to blend
1 Cup Brown Mustard

Combine dry mustard and vinegar in medium bowl. Cover mustard mixture and let stand overnight at room temperature.

Transfer mixture to heavy medium saucepan. Add sugar and yolks and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in prepared mustard. Pack into hot sterilized jars. Seal tightly. Cool and refrigerate. (Mustard can be refrigerated up to 3 months.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1480 Calories; 51g Fat (28.1% calories from fat); 45g Protein; 246g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 425mg Cholesterol; 3290mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 7 Fat; 14 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Put in small decorative jars for gifts.

NOTES : Herb, fruit or other wine vinegars can be used to vary the results. Also, a variety of prepared mustards can be used.
Makes a nice gift, packed in a crock and sealed with wax.

Ya. I don't do citron. It's too bitter for me. But the dried cherries, apricots & orange peel made

up enough bitterness for me. Those were balanced by golden raisins, dates and figs.

Most communities have special products that are made locally. Here we have

beautiful bread made by a young man who lives in our foothills, made right in his own kitchen. We have wine, mustards, artisian sauerkrauts, such as Ginger, Apple and more. An Italian deli has homemade Marinara sauce from a very old family recipe. Stuff like this is so special, and even though not made by you, it still shows that you took the time to seek out really special gifts. I love receiving things like this because every home chef needs things they can grab and use in their pantry, that are excellent. Everyone, I have given these types of gifts have loved it because so many of the products they knew nothing about.

Moravian sugar cake is a specialty of Old Salem in NC which is really quite east to make

and is a breakfast cake. And yes, sort of sweet but in a quite entirely differnt manner more like a bread.
Sweet and hot mustard
Drry mustard--coleman's or the kind you get at WalMart on the spice aisle
1C cider vinegar. Add mustard to vinegar
Mix 3/4C sugar with 2 eggs.
Add to mustard mixture and cook in a double boiler for 30 minutes, stirring often.

Back