I've taken a liking to hanger steak, I've been using it in teriyaki. Any other ideas?

Very hard to find=smileys/neutral.gif've never seen it in my stores

But vry popular in Europe. In the US I think it usually goes home with the butcher--if we had one. Otherwise, unfortunately, it is probably ground for hamburger.
hanger steak = hanging tender = butcher's steak = butcher's tenderloin = onglet Notes: This is the part of the diaphragm that hangs between the last rib and the loin. It's often ground in hamburger (or butchers just take it home), but some people claim that its grainy texture and intense flavor make it a first-rate steak (if marinated first). It's better known in France than in the United States, so you'll probably have to ask your butcher to set one aside for you. Substitutes: skirt steak OR flank steak

If it's like flank, then make Sally/BR's Mustard and Pepper Flank posted by MariaDNoCA in favorites.

We made this tonight (marinated it for 24 hours) and it was yummy and a nice change from our typical soy-sherry-ginger-garlic marinade.

Sally/BR's Mustard and Pepper Flank Steak >>

Easy and awesome! Here's the text from her post: . . . . . . . . . . . .

REC: Mustard and Pepper Flank Steak This is a great twist on flank steak, one of my favorite meats because it cooks very fast. I normally grill it with a simple marinade of olive oil + rosemary, or an oriental-style marinade with soy sauce and spices. I made this dish last week for a late dinner after a round of golf - we were tired and needed dinner quickly at the table. It was great!
Mustard and Pepper Flank Steaks from American Favorites (Betty Rosbottom)

2/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp whipping cream
2 tsp dried thyme leaves
2 tsp chopped peeled ginger
1 1/2 tsp crushed black peppercorns
2 flank steaks (about 1 1/4 pounds each)

Combine mustard, soy sauce cream, thyme, ginger and peppercorns in a small mixing bowl and stir well. Brush both sides of flank steaks with mustard mixture, coating generously.

Place steaks on a plate and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate while marinating.

Grill steaks 6 to 8 minutes per side. Check meat by making a small incision on thickest part eat should be medium-rare, do not overcook (I never cut the steak to test, I just press it with my finger). If you prefer to broil, do it 4-5 inches from heat, 6 minutes per side. Remove steaks from grill and slice on diagonal and against the grain into 1/4 to 3/8 inch slices.

Serves 6 (I cooked a single flank steak, but prepared the same amount of marinade) Enjoy it!

I forgot to mention I used evaporated skim milk for the whipping cream, because it is what we had

on hand. Turned out fine.

Never be afraid to ask! It is grainy like skirt of flank steak, but more tender -

Trader Joe's has started carrying it regularly, and it really is tasty, cooked rare.

It has become very popular in local restaurants as well. If you see it and like beef, give it a try.

Thanks Mia, this will work wonderfully for the hangar steak. I also think

tri-tip marinades will work well with it as well.

FLAP STEAK.Here we get a steak that is so very like flank steak, a bit more marbled and it is ...

much more tender and suprisingly for now a few dollars cheaper....I love to BBQ the steak having marinated it in a soya sauce called Ketchap Manis. Rub with a little garlic before marinating adds that bit of extra taste and slice the rare steak thinly. serve as is or use it any Thai type salad. Much better than flank steak

I've foung these need to be trimmed, and make sure to cut on the bias, otherwise

as in the article Curious posted, you'll feel like you're eating a "mouthful of rubber bands" - not too appetizing, eh?

The ones I've gotten have a tough gristle band toward the center, which I remove. I usually slice the meat into strips or cubes - and don't cook it past medium-rare.

Back