I've taken a liking to hanger steak, I've been using it in teriyaki. Any other ideas?

Beef or Veal Olives first made their appearance in the middle ages.......

The 'Olives" are sliced meat wrapped around herb stuffing and baked.
Here with is a recipe from a S.African cookbook

For Four
6 Thin sliced frying beef steaks or
6 large veal schnitzels
600ml brown stock
25g butter
25g flour
3 TBL sherry

(I do like veal but now use the flap steak as it is found here more easily and also is less expensive)Pound the steaks thinly and cut into uniform strips about 6 x 12 cm you should have 12 pieces for 4

First make the stuffing by mixing all the following ingredients and forming them into 12 small balls.

125g fine white bread crumbs
2 anchovy fillets pounded
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried sage
1 small onion finely chopped
1 egg well beaten
salt and pepper.

Place a ball of stuffing on each slice of meat and roll the meat tightly around it. Tie the olive with thread or string.
Lightly grease a shallow oven proof dish and lay the olives in it so they touch each other. Pour the stock over the olives, cover loosly with foil and bake in a pre-heated 170* oven for 40 mins.
Lift the olives carefully to a warmed serving dish and snip away the string.
Keep warm and make the gravy.
Make a roux with the butter and flour, stir in the stock and bring to the boil. Add the sherry and check the seasonings. pour over the olives and serve immediately.

Very nice served with garlic mashed potatoes or butternut mashed potatoes.

Now here in the Caribbean I often make one lot of the above and one lot stuffed with sausage meat. (This is the sausage meat from England) Any minced, well seasoned pork meat could be used. I swing the changes as well by using a gravy thickener called Bisto (from England) or making a cream sauce with morels (ading sherry to both).
I sometimes put the meat stuffed olives in a home made tomatoe sauce and serve with pasta.
I tweak a lot of dishes (I just like variation, I guess) and this one is one I can ring with many changes.

Joanie, I just saw flap steak at the market - it is very similar to the hanger, though more marbled

with smaller "strands" than the hanger. The flap steak is aka Ranchera here, as it is used in a lot of Latin cooking.

AH...a change when cooking with the FLAP...I don't bake them when using this meat .....

and the original sauce.....after reading the above article I know why. I sear them in the fry-pan or on the grill and then use them in what-ever sauce I am doing them in. I don't think Flap steak will do too well with slow baking. But as the article says they should be cut across the grain, that is of course how one would cut them to eat.
(Just an aside here, all the years of cooking on a smallish yacht in the tropical heat with-out air-conditioning I would do all I could to approach the dish with a shorter cooking route. One would be amazed at how many oven dishes can be cooked stove top or on the BBQ. Now I'm in a house I am oven cooking again...so nice to just pop dishes in the oven and dish them up, all cooked, sometime later. I actually bought 6 large flap steaks yesterday with the intention of making the olives this w-end.I see though that the price is going up.)

Went to Tj"s today...no hangar steak, but they had skirt steak, so will use it...

not sure how yet...maybe carne asada. A local place makes theirs with skirt steak and it is so good. Or maybe I'll do the mustard and and pepper recipe. Sigh, so many wonderful recipes, so little time!

Back