ISO: Just got a heart shaped muffin pan - ISO your favorite muffin recipes 2 bring 2 work...

In Search Of:

mariadnoca

Hi I thought it would be fun to make some heart shaped muffins to bring into work on Valentine's day - anyone have some really yummy favorites that would be good to serve in the morning?

What's the difference between a muffin and a cupcake? REC: Iowa Applesauce Cake

This is a really nice spice cake, and not too sweet, if you leave them plain. I've made these as cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, or left them unfrosted, and just sprinkled with powdered sugar.

But I know I have to line the cupcake tins with cupcake liners (I wonder if you can line the heart shaped ones?)

Iowa Applesauce Cake
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1-1/2 cups applesauce
1 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 - 3 oz. packages softened cream cheese
1/2 cup softened butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups sifted powdered sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, margarine or shortening for 30 seconds. Add the sugars and egg; beat until combined. Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices. Add flour mixture alternately with applesauce to butter mixture. Stir in raisins and nuts.

Pour batter into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan, spreading evenly. Bake in a 350° oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.

(Ive also made 48 mini muffins - line mini muffin cups with cupcake papers. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 17 minutes.)

Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to make a spreadable frosting.

(This makes a lot of frosting. I usually cut the recipe in half, or just dust with powdered sugar.)

REC: Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins from Amy/CT

Oops, this one needs cupcake liners, too.

Forum Home Page: Archive Swap 25201-25300
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:57:00 GMT

My sister-in-law gave me this recipe 20 yrs.ago. We would go hunting for wild blueberries in the woods where she lives in Massachusetts, come home with our wild blueberries and make the *best* blueberry muffins. These muffins are so good!

Blueberry Muffins...(about 18 muffins)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup (heaping) blueberries, smashed
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk (used almond milk)
2 cups blueberries
Extra sugar for sprinkling on top

Cream butter and sugar well, until light and fluffy.

Add eggs, one at a time, beat until smooth. Add the smashed blueberries, mix well.

Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk, just until combined, don't over mix. Fold in blueberries.

Grease top of muffin pans, use muffin liners--(blueberries stick bad to a pan!) Fill muffin batter nearly to top (3/4 full) Sprinkle sugar on tops before baking. (I used turbinado sugar, which made the top nice and crunchy!)

Bake in 375° F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden.

I have this on my to-try list REC: Cranberry Orange Muffins from Steve2 in LA

In fact, I think I'll try them today!

Forum Home Page: Archive Swap 26701-26800
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 21:24:39 GMT

REC: Orange Cranberry Loaf or Muffins with Cardamom Sugar Topping

CRANBERRY-ORANGE BREAD (or muffins)

2 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
Juice and grated peel of 1 Orange
2 Tbsp melted Shortening
Water
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 cup chopped Walnuts
2 cups fresh or frozen Cranberries, chopped
4 Tbsp Sugar, mixed with 1 Tbsp Cardamom

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder,
soda and salt. Combine orange juice, peel,
shortening and enough water to make 3/4 cup
liquid. Stir in beaten egg. Mix into dry
ingredients just until blended.

Fold in nuts and cranberries, turn into greased loaf or muffin pan(s), sprinkle top with cardamom-sugar mix and bake at 350° degrees; 50-60 minutes for loaf pan, 25-30 for muffins or
until done.

Cool 10 minutes in pan. Depan and cool
completely on rack.

http://63.123.232.200/HyperNews/get/archive_swap26701-26800/26747/1.html

My pan is silicone so I shouldn't need to line...

I was going to give you a link to what I got because they are so fun but it seems the link is down since the item sold out.

Anyway I got a Valentine's Day red silicon set with a 10" cake pan, 2 mini 4-5" cake pans, 1 muffin/cupcake pan that makes 6, a chocolate making sheet that holds 12, and all are heart shaped plus, it came with silpat type cookie sheet liner - all for $20. So this weekend I'm planning on playing with all them smileys/wink.gif

Hope you like them as much as I do- even parmesan popovers fall right out of the pan!

Ooey-gooey brownies cooled and set up in the refrig "peel" right out of the silicone pan after NO pan prep. I adore silicone bakeware and wish you the same kind of luck with it that I have.

Woohooo! These are a year-round fav in my house. In fact,

I just used this flavor-theme to make Mini Orange, Cardamom and Dried Cranberry Scones for the missus this weekend. Turned out "yummery".

I second these - they're great. The only things I do differently are:

I use the 2 cups blueberries only, and omit the 1/2 cup smashed (don't like blue muffins), I add 1 tsp lemon zest to the batter, and I omit the sugar topping - the crust is nice and crunchy without it.

REC: Coffee Cake Muffins and Orange Nut Muffins...

These are both excellent:

COFFEE CAKE MUFFINS

INGREDIENTS:

Cake batter:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter (4 Tbsp), room temperature
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
2 Tbsp plain yogurt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Spice Mix:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I use dark)
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter (cold)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 F (375 F for dark pans).
2. Grease 6 regular size muffin cups. Add a little water to the empty cups, so the muffins bake evenly.
3. Make Spice Mix: Stir together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Set aside.
4. Make Cake Batter: In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. Make a well in the middle.
5. Cream together 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup granulated white sugar, and egg.
6. Add yogurt, milk, and vanilla. Mix till blended.
7. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture. Stir until just blended. DO NOT OVERMIX.
8. Fill muffin cups with batter, around 1/3 full. Sprinkle on half the spice mix. Cover with more batter; then sprinkle on remaining half of the spice mix.
9. Bake in the middle of the oven about 19 minutes.

Makes 6 muffins.

Adapted from my files.

ORANGE-NUT MUFFINS

INGREDIENTS:

1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk* (I use nonfat plain yogurt)
1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Glaze:
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (optional)**(Note: It's better with the orange peel)!
Orange juice, 2-3 tsp

(My note: The orange flavor is more pronounced in the glaze, since the glaze has the orange peel/zest, and it's more subtle in the muffin itself. For more orange flavor, add a little zest to the muffin itself).

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture.
2. In medium bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, orange juice concentrate and melted butter; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in walnuts.
3. Line twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Fill the cups 3/4 full with batter. Bake in a 400 degree F. oven ( 375 F for dark pans) for 18 to 20 minutes or until muffins are golden. (Check them at 16 minutes). Remove the muffins from the pans.
4. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, orange peel and enough orange juice (2 to 3 teaspoons) to make a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm muffins.

Makes 12.

*Note: To make 1/2 cup sour milk, place 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using it in a recipe.

BHG

Here's one Charlie posted at Gail's-- REC: Burst O'Lemon Muffins

These are a favorite at our house.

Burst O'Lemon Muffins
Source: Taste of Home

1 3/4 C flour
3/4 C sugar
1 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 8 oz cup lemon yogurt
1/large egg
1/3 C melted butter
2 T grated lemon peel
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 C flaked coconut

Topping
1/3 C fresh lemon juice
1/4 C sugar
1/4 C flaked coconut--toasted

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In another bowl, beat the yogurt, egg, butter, lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the coconut.

Fill 12 greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400°F for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and muffins test done. (Charlie said his were done at 18 minutes.)

Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack. (Lay a piece of foil under the rack to catch any drips from the glaze.)

In a saucepan, combine the lemon juice and sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in toasted coconut.

Using a toothpick, poke 6-8 holes in each muffin. Spoon the coconut mixture over the muffins. Serve warm or cool to room temperature.

These make you think you are eating "healthy"--REC: Morning Glorious Muffins

I LOVE these muffins. The ingredients fool me into thinking I am eating something that has at least a little bit of healthy stuff. Sorry, but I did not note where I got the recipe from, may have been at Gail's. If you recognize it please speak up!

Morning Glorious Muffins

1 3/4 C flour
1 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C sugar
2 1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
2 1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
2 1/3 C carrots; peeled and shredded
2 1/3 C apples; peeled and shredded
2/3 C coconut
2/3 C raisins
2/3 C walnut pieces
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 C oil
1 t vanilla
3/4 C unsweetened applesauce
3/4 C plain or vanilla yogurt

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray or grease 24 muffin cups. In medium mixing bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, combine carrots, apples, coconut, raisins, and walnuts. Add eggs, oil, vanilla, applesauce and yogurt. Combine flour mixture with ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix just to moisten dry ingredients. Divide batter into 24 muffin cups.

Bake 20-25 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan to wire rack to cool. Serve with softened or whipped cream cheese.

Another favorite of ours--REC: Poppyseed Muffins

Poppyseed Muffins
Source: Williams Sonoma Muffins

1 1/2 C flour
1/2 C toasted wheat germ (lends a wonderful slightly crunchy texture)
1/3 C poppyseeds
1/3 C sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 C milk (I prefer buttermilk)
1 egg
1/4 C unsalted butter, melted
Lemon Glaze (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter standard muffin tins.

In a large bowl stir and toss together the flour, wheat germ, poppyseeds, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl whisk together the milk, egg and melted butter until smooth. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.

Spoon into the prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 15-18 minutes. Cool in the tins for 3 minutes, then remove.

My notes: I also added some lemon zest to the batter. This recipe also makes 6 beautiful Texas sized muffins.

Lemon Glaze
1 C confectioners sugar
2 T fresh lemon juice or more if needed
2 t lemon zest
pinch of salt

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk briskly until smooth and well blended. If the glaze is too stiff, beat in a few drops more juice. Brush or spoon over muffins while they are still warm.

Maria, the first time I used them I wiped with oil and honestly, I don't know if

it made a difference or not- I wiped with oil then went back and wiped most of the oil off before using the first time. After that, nothing. I put them in the dishwasher, wash by hand, whatever- stuff just doesn't stick to them.

Back