Mimi, Ques re sections in Favorites Swap...

mariadnoca

I happened on an old Gail's thread on swap favorites and since I have to be at work but it's slow thought I add them over here.

However, where should we post casseroles, enchiladas, and such? Do you want us to post them under whatever meat/poultry? Or pasta? Both places? Or do you think they should have their own section?

Thought I should ask before I put a bunch in the wrong place.

And what about sandwiches?

And breakfast dishes. Do you think we need two more categories for these? Thanks.

What is the general consensus?

When Pat asked me this question, I was concerned that there were already too many categories and some seem to be overlapping which causes confusion. For example, I created categories for Desserts, Cakes, Cookies and Candy, but some people posted cake recipes under desserts. So then I was regretting making so many categories and thought that I had just made it too confusing and too easy to post a recipe in the wrong category. (Realizing that this is not earth-shattering! :eek:) )

I said that potatoes are vegetables so they should go there, and that casseroles should go under whatever is in the casserole (meat, pasta, whatever).

HOWEVER...I am perfectly happy to create more categories. It's quite easy to do and I have no problem with it aside from my concern that too many categories might lead to confusion. Let's see what everyone else has to say and if there's a general consensus that I should create categories for potatoes, casseroles, sandwiches and breakfast dishes then I'm happy to do so.

Hi Mimi - How about just "Side Dishes?" That would include vegetables, potatoes, rice, etc.

Too many is a decision dilemma, but breakfast, lunch(eon), casseroles (or one dish meals)

could be added. Maybe some of the others could be combined? Perhaps look at some general cookbook table of contents to see what is generally used.

LOL...Just so you guys know...

I did actually post a list of the proposed categories (based on a popular cookbook) and asked everyone's opinion on the categories before I created them but hardly anyone answered me! ;o)

I'm going to wait a few days before I make any changes, see who else speaks up with other ideas/requests.

As long as we're on the subject....

I guess I'm a little confused about WHERE recipes should be posted. I see that people are posting some here in the "swap" area...and then there are others posting recipes in the "favorites" section. What's the difference? Shouldn't they all be posted in the favorites area, or am I missing something?

I haven't tried the Search feature yet, but does it have the capability to pull answers from both locations?

People originally requested a special area to RE-post recipes that had already been posted on...

the old forum, because the archives were either impossible to decipher or because they just didn't archive a particular forum. So rather than posting a slew of old recipes in the the new forum, we created a Favorite Recipes section for the "greatest hits" of the swap.

So in theory, the only thing that should be posted in the Favorite Recipes is old recipes that have already been posted on the old swap and that many people tried and discussed and liked. Another reason for doing that is to make it much easier to search for a favorite recipe; just choose the category you want.

I'm not policing the recipes that go on the Favorite Recipes section. I'm just leaving that up to the judgement of the individual members.

This particular forum (that we're in now) is for posting new recipes, requesting recipes, and food-related chat.

And of course I expect that people on this new board will discover some new classics over time that will be added to the Favorite Recipes.

Hope that makes sense! Suggestions for improvement are always welcome. :eek:)

Good question, btw!

Back