ISO: ! Ok, it's finally that time of year...sigh...ISO your all time fav Low Carb, etc. recipes...

In Search Of:

mariadnoca

Yes, Virgina...I've packed on a few pounds. However, I never do the new years resolution thing because that's just a set-up for going all cattywhompass for me. So, no...I'm prepping for it. I want to get some good recipes all lined up, go shopping, plan for at least a week of noncheat items then sorta plunge in. But what I (and let's face it we) likley need are some yummy wanna try 'em sounds good meals.

Let's see how many we can come up with! Cuz we all need some inspiration!!!

(I Somercise so for me that means low carb/no food carb combining but other recipes welcome for all.)

I'll start with Pro/Fat PANCAKES...

Pro/Fat PANCAKES....again smileys/smile.gif Post
From CUZNVIN at another forum...

I eat these all-the-time when I'm ssing and think they are just fantastic! I do use the Naturade whey powder which I get online (my SIL tried another brand and they didn't puff up as well as mine.) Also, my favorite syrup is the Estee brand Maple found in some grocery chains like Raley's in the diabetic section.)

3 oz cream cheese
2 eggs
1 packet somersweet ( = 2 t Splenda)
2 tbls Naturade whey protein (vanilla)**
2 - 3 tbls heavy cream
1/2 teas baking powder
1 teas vanilla

Microwave cream cheese until VERY soft. You don't want any lumps in the batter. I did 1 min on high. Add eggs and mix until smooth. Add whey protein, somersweet, vanilla,heavy cream and baking powder. Mix until smooth. Cook on low heat on greased frying pan or griddle.

I topped these with 3 tbls melted UNSALTED butter mixed with 1/2 teas maple flavoring and one packet somersweet. I then topped them with somersweet sweetened whipped cream and cinnamon sprinkled on top. ENJOY!!

** when you shop for Whey powder you are looking for no sugar and low carb -- the Naturade has only 1 carb. So for SSing folks is almost level 1.

REC: Spinach and Ricotta-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Lemony White Wine Sauce

Spinach and Ricotta-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Lemony White Wine Sauce

This comes together really fast.
Yield: 2 servings

Stuffing:
1 cup cooked, chopped, and drained fresh spinach
1/2 cup ricotta
1/2 cup Gorgonzola
4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg

Sauce:
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup homemade chicken stock
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 lemon, juiced
Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish

Chicken:
2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Make the Stuffing:
In a bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta, Gorgonzola, and bacon and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Add the egg, mix well, and set aside.

Make the Sauce: Combine the wine and stock in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a sauce-like consistency. Whisk in the mustard, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.

Make the Chicken: Place each chicken breast between 2 doubled-up sheets of plastic wrap, and pound to an even 1/4-inch thickness with a meat-pounder or rolling pin. Divide the stuffing between the breasts, mounding it along the center of each. Fold the bottom edge of each breast over the stuffing, fold in the sides, and roll forward until completely wrapped, to form a tight rolled package. Secure each flap with a toothpick. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Cover the skillet, turn the heat down to low, and cook until just cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pour the sauce into the skillet over high heat and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon. Slice the chicken into medallions, divide among plates, and spoon some of the sauce over each. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.

REC: BBQed Chicken w/carmelized onions and brie

BBQed Chicken w/carmelized onions and brie Post Quick, easy and in this girl's opinion is totally TDF!

4ish Chicken breasts
1-2 onions, sliced thin (I use 2)
1 recipe of your fav no sugar bbq sauce, heated
Brie
salt/pepper

Carmelize onions over med heat in sauté pan with some olive oil (will take about 25 mins - don't rush. You need to cook these slow to get them lightly brown and sweet.)

Grill chicken to taste with a little s/p.

To serve top chicken with brie, carmelized onions, and bbq sauce. (You want the brie to melt a bit so heat if needed.) Then lick plate clean. smileys/smile.gif

2 RECS: Zucchini Nicoise and Garbanzo Salad

These are two of my favorite standbys. They're great together for a virtuous vegetarian supper (with crusty bread, sorry Maria). They're also great side dishes for a decadent barbecue.

Zucchini Nicoise

Toss together in a 9" x 13" baking dish:

1-1/2 to 2 lbs. zucchini, sliced 3/8" thick
13 oz. canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup black olives (I like them unpitted but you have to warn the guests)
2 tsp. herbs de Provence
1 Tbs. capers
Salt and pepper to taste.

Bake at 375*F for about 45 minutes, or until zucchini and onion are tender, tossing occasionally and adjusting the temperature up or down if the mixture is too dry or too watery. You want the finished dish to be just glazed in its own juices.

Sprinkle with:

1 Tbs. shredded fresh basil

Serve warm, tepid or cold.

From Classic Home Cooking by Marion Berry and Marlene Speiler.

(I posted this at Gail's and others responded that they sprinkled it with goat cheese or feta cheese. )

Garbanzo Salad

3 cups cooked or canned garbanzo beans (chick peas), warmed up in their juices
1 or 2 cloves garlic
Salt
2 Tbs. or so good olive oil
3 Tbs. finely minced onions or scallions
1 Tbs. minced fresh sage
Pepper

Spinach leaves
Strips of red bell pepper or whole radishes
Hard boiled eggs, quartered
(1 can sardines, drained, optional)
A slice or two of red onion, separated into rings

Warm the beans in their juices so that they will absorb the flavors.

Put the garlic through a garlic press into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with a little salt and mash with the back of a spoon into a smooth puree.

Drain the beans and add to the garlic along with the oil. Toss well. Add the onion and sage and toss again. Season with salt and pepper.

Let stand 30 minutes, tossing several times and correction the seasoning.

Line a bowl or platter with the spinach. Mound the beans in the center and ring with the peppers or radishes and the eggs (and the sardines if you're using them). Sprinkle with the onion rings

Adapted from The Way to Cook by Julia Child

This is the year I'm actually gonna do it... I swear! ISO: low-fat dips

so I can pack veggies and dip to take to school. If I don't pack my own lunch I might as well just forget it. School has terrible options for dieting!

Anyone have low fat dips for me?

I lost 35lb on Low carb Atkins... Low carb is not no carb.

I lost 35lb on Low carb Atkins. That said. I've gained back 10lb because I've been lazy. Hey I'm girl enough to admit it!

I never felt as much energy and less hunger than when I was eating low carb - NOT no carb. I even ate more vegetables when I ate low carb- lots of roasted eggplant, cauliflower, turnip, kale, other leafy greens..etc.

Anyway I will post recipes when I get time. I just wanted to say Yay! Low! not No carb.
I think that's one of the problems I encounter with most with friends. "You're eating NO carbs??" Low carb is what I eat. I lose weight when I don't eat flour and sugar. period.

I eat lean meats and fish, healthy natural fats(like olive oil and butter), a little bit of cheese and lots vegetables that are lower carb.

Can you tell I'm back on my lowcarb wagon?
Muse

Carianna, isn't packing veggies for lunch healthy enough >>

without also dipping them in lowfat dip? It's just my opinion, and I don't want to weaken your resolve, but I think a little fat is good for you and you should enjoy every mouthful. Here's a ranch dip that is flavorful enough to use in small but satisfying quantities, and you could certainly use low-fat mayo or yogurt if you'd prefer. Adding buttermilk would turn it into a salad dressing.

Fresh Herb Ranch Dip

1-1/2 cups combined sour cream and mayonnaise (to taste (sour cream has less fat than mayo))
1 garlic clove, put through a garlic press, then mashed to a paste with a little salt, using the back of a spoon
A small handful each minced Italian parsley and minced chives
A few teaspoons minced fresh thyme, or a pinch of dried
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine, season to taste, and let sit several hours or overnight to blend flavors.

(Except for the thyme, this is an epi recipe. I make it all the time. It's really good!)

Yes, not NO carb....

SSing is a bit different in that they both get rid of high starch/sugar carbs, but in SSing they don't combine certain carbs with fats. Non-fat goes with carb meals/full fat with protein meals...that being said veggies swing both ways ;-)and there is no portion control.

Either way most recipes that will work for Atkins will or can be tweeked to be SS'ed and pretty much all SS'ed recipes work for Atkins. So it's a win/win!

Let the recipes begin!! smileys/bigsmile.gif

Rec: BBQed Chicken w/carmelized onions and brie

BBQed Chicken w/carmelized onions and brie

4ish Chicken breasts
1-2 onions, sliced thin (I use 2)
1 recipe of your fav sugar free BBQ sauce*, warmed
Brie
salt/pepper

Carmelize onions over med heat in sauté pan with some olive oil (will take about 25 mins - don't rush. You need to cook these slow to get them lightly brown and sweet.)

Grill chicken to taste with a little s/p.

To serve top chicken with brie torn into a few chunks, carmelized onions, and bbq sauce. (You want the brie to melt a bit so reheat if needed.) Then lick plate clean. smileys/smile.gif

Note: I often make a big batch of carmelized onions to keep on hand to make a weeknight dinner extra fast and easy.

*Let me know if you want me to post the sugar free bbq sauce recipe I use.

Try that dip Joe posted above and use . . .

Plain low-fat yogurt (or whole milk yogurt), and season it and dip away. If that yogurt is too sour/sharp for you add a tiny pinch of baking soda and mix it in the yogurt well before seasoning. This will mellow the yogurt out.

Wow, Muse, that's great... by the way, what is SSing? I am...

I am pretty much doing Sugar Busters. Good carbs, not even really low carb. Kind of like the old gylcemic index used to be.

I did it because I am trying to regulate my blood glucose a little so that my hypoglycemia doesn't go into full-blown diabetes (I never knew low bg was a precursor to diabetes until recently).

ANYway, I have lots of good-car recipes and will post them tomorrow.

Ooh, just a note though, garbanzo beans are good for you but..

they are definately not low-carb as you probably know. They have a GI of 34 (vs. 72 for a white bagel and 22 for cherries, and 0 for proteins and fats). I've attached a link here that Maria - or all - might be interested.

Ugh, I hate going by the numbers, so I jsut tend to stay away from categories of foods. Basically, stay away from the WHITE foods!

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.php

I just stocked up with some low carb snacks so I have no excuses..

So here's what I bought. I'm going to do a strict low carb for 2 weeks to jump start the weight loss then introduce good carbs. So no nuts yet. Can you have nuts on Somersize?

lots of very good cheeses

celery to have with cream cheese nuked and mixed with onion powder and garlic powder and a little hot sauce

different greens- lettuces, cilantro,
cucumbers
peppers for roasting
olives

Kale to sautee in olive oil with garlic and a little soy sauce

lean deli meats
pepperoni - if you microwave the slices on a paper towel for about a min on high they turn crispy. So good.

Good luck

Rec. The Classic Fauxtatoes

This is so good. The first I made it my husband said these might be your best mashed potatoes yet. He had no idea it was cauliflower.

I also like to microwave a covered whole cauliflower until tender about 8 min. Then I spread with a little mayo, sprinkle with paprika and pat on shredded cheese. Nuke again until cheese melts.

Fauxtatoes (Mashed Cauliflower)

Yield: 3 servings
• 1 head fresh cauliflower
• ¼ - ½ block of cream cheese
• 1 tsp fresh crushed garlic
• Salt and pepper to taste

1. Microwave cauliflower with a few tablespoons of water. Cover with lid and nuke 6-10 minutes until tender.
2. Blend cooked cauliflower in food processor with the cream cheese and garlic. Salt and pepper to taste, then serve.

Rec. Quick Soup

Here’s a fast soup I have often.

Quick soup for lunch

Fill large mug with water
Microwave until very hot and mix in chicken bullion
Add
-handful of leftover cooked meat or deli
-leftover cooked greens like spinach, bok choy or kale
-minced cilantro
-dash of fish sauce and asian hot sauce or just Tabasco to taste
-1 or 2 tablespoon heavy cream

Stir. Yum