ISO: ! Ok, it's finally that time of year...sigh...ISO your all time fav Low Carb, etc. recipes...

In Search Of:
Rec. Eggplant Rolatini Casserole

Eggplant Rolatini Casserole

Eggplant:
3 eggs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 medium eggplants
Tomato Sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons diced red onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (14-ounce) can no-sugar-added diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can no-sugar-added tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cheese Filling:
15 ounces whole-milk ricotta cheese
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg

Topping:
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dry oregano

Garnish:
Leaves from 1 bunch of basil, torn into pieces

Equipment: 9 by 13-inch baking dish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Make the Eggplant: Whisk together the eggs, Parmesan, water, salt, oregano, and garlic powder in a bowl.

Trim the ends off each eggplant and, using a peeler, peel off 2 large swaths of skin on 2 sides. Cut each eggplant lengthwise into 6 slices about 1/2-inch thick. (If you end up with more than 12 slices, just pick out the best ones.) Dip each slice into the egg mixture and transfer to a vegetable spray-coated baking sheet with sides. (If the baking sheet seems crowded, divide the slices among 2 baking sheets.) Pour any remaining egg mixture over the eggplant and bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Let cool slightly before carefully loosening each slice from the pan with a flat spatula.

Turn oven down to 350 degrees F.

Meanwhile make the Tomato Sauce: Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent. Add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
Make the Cheese Filling: Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.

To assemble the Rolatini: Place two tablespoons of cheese filling in the center of each eggplant slice and roll them up. Place the rolls in a single layer, seam side-down, in the baking dish, and pour the tomato sauce over the top. Cover the rolatini with the topping ingredients. Bake for 25 minutes until cheese starts to brown on top and filling starts to ooze out of the rolls. Remove and serve garnished with the basil.

8 servings.

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis per serving Calories 367
Fat 25 grams Saturated Fat 13 grams
Carbohydrates 14.6 grams Fiber 4.1

Rec. Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole

Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
Vegetable oil spray
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.

Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.

Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.

6 servings

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis per serving Calories 358
Fat 31 Saturated Fat 19
Carbohydrates 9.5 Fiber 3.5

Hey Joe, YUM YUM... I have some of this chilling in the fridge right now.

Can't wait to pack some up in my lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe.

cheese crips made of baked mounds of parm cheese are so good and lo-carb choice

instead of chips/crackers. Can be made in a frying pan, and actually just about any grated cheese works, even slabs of american cheese have worked and placing them on paper towels helps absorb some of the fat that bakes out. I am boiling up a bunch of eggs tonight and lo-carbing it as well. Gotta get me some fresh celery and cukes for "vessels". I do love my carbs though . . .

Dang, Shoulda called it "Chick-Pea Salad" >>

like Julia did. It doesn't show up on the GI index under that name, LOL.

I totally understand how someone who is diabetic or hypoglycemic would be concerned with these numbers, but for those of us just trying to eat healthier, there's nothing healthier than dried (or canned) legumes, rich in fiber and complex carbohydrates. Compared to the leftover New Year's imported full-fat cheese platter I just finished off with White-flour French bread (home-made, of course) it's downright spa food!

Dawn, I really appreciate that you acknowledge that "banzos are good for you and I'm on the same page with you on refined carbs! (we'll discuss my New Year's Eve dessert of caramelized pears in puff pasty with caramel butter, pastry cream and creme fraiche another day) but I have to protest when whole foods like real beans, with pure olive oil, herbs and vegetables can cause alarm. Still, I have to admit that your link explained the GI index in a way that I could finally understand!

Let's all eat LOTS of veggies in '06. I don't believe it needs to be more complicated than that.

Joe, I totally agree with you...

"I have to protest when whole foods like real beans, with pure olive oil, herbs and vegetables can cause alarm".

But because it was a post for a request for low-carb foods, I just had to add my 2 cents ;o)

REC: Frizzled Cabbage - Absolutely delicious!!!

This is for two servings, but doing 1/2 a cabbage at a time has been great for DH and myself!

Debbie

From Boxerwing at Recipezaar

Frizzled Cabbage Recipe #83524

Raise the lowly cabbage to something extraordinary! This technique of sauteeing brings out a wonderful sweetness you never knew existed in cabbage. You can add different spices to this recipe: curry, caraway seeds, or hot pepper sauce are just suggestions. But try it plain first! Adapted from The Low-Carb Cookbook by Fran McCullough

1/4 medium green cabbage
2 tablespoons butter (or more if you are feeling decadent)
salt and pepper

Debbie, did you forget something?

I have made sauteed cabbage many times, but I'd love to see the directions for this recipe.
smileys/smile.gif

LOL! Picky, Picky! Entire recipe INCLUDING directions inside!

Thanks for the heads up, Judy!

Frizzled Cabbage Recipe #83524 at recipezaar

Raise the lowly cabbage to something extraordinary! This technique of sauteeing brings out a wonderful sweetness you never knew existed in cabbage. You can add different spices to this recipe: curry, caraway seeds, or hot pepper sauce are just suggestions. But try it plain first!

Adapted from The Low-Carb Cookbook by Fran McCullough

1/4 medium green cabbage
2 tablespoons butter (or more if you are feeling decadent)
salt and pepper

1. Core and very thinly slice the cabbage.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet (I use non-stick) over medium heat.
3. When it is bubbling, add the cabbage.
4. Salt and pepper the cabbage.
5. Stir occasionally and cook until mostly wilted, about 10 minutes.
6. Turn the heat down to medium-low and let cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage is starting to carmelize (brown), about 10 minutes.
7. Do not let burn.
8. Taste, adjust seasoning, and serve immediately.

Try this!! I've been making a version of this for years...

I've been making a version of this for years and it is so insanely good. Its a recipe adapted from a Madhur Jaffrey recipe. Before throwing in the cabbage I add 1-2 tablespoons of black mustard seeds to the hot butter. Add cabbage after they start popping.

I made it for a dinner party and enjoyed hearing people comment "I have never ever liked cabbage". I turns almost sweet.
Yum

That's sorta like SSing....

Yes, SSing (Somercising) is what Suzanne Somers uses and promotes though she admits she didn't invent it. She doesn't like to call what she does low-carb but rather more like a food combining plan. However, there are some similar things.

Basically you eat a lot like a diabetic with some twists. Eat either meals that are proteins/(full)fats; carbos/veggies (which include nonfat dairy); or fruits and no portion control. Allowable veggies (no taters, corn, carrots, etc.) go with either a protein or carb meal.

I lost nearly 40 lbs doing this (in like 3 months) and kept if off for several years till my hormones decided to go whacko on me. I haven't put it all back on yet, but I can't kid myself into thinking it's just a few lbs anymore, lol! So need to get with it!

If you want more info PM me and/or go check out her site: suzannesomers.com and go to community/discussion to see recipes and more.

Hi Joe, your dip was fab-o today at lunch...

I made it with reduced-fat dairy products and it was really really good. My girlfriend sitting next to me kept eating my veggies! (The one that's so dang skinny that she doesn't even qualify weight-wise to give blood... that's what I get for going back to school at 38 and hanging out with 21-year-olds!)

I loved it, it made the carrots and celery taste like a treat. Thanks for the recipe.

Back