OK Need some help here>>>>> long..

Along these lines and Misplaced's ideas... REC: Chili Bacon Breadsticks

There's nothing gourmet about these, but they are yummy. These are standard Superbowl fare here. I got this from Gourmet magazine about 15 years ago or so.

Chili Bacon Breadsticks

30 thin slices bacon
30 whole grissini (long thin breadsticks)
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 Tbs. pure chili powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Let the bacon come to room temperature so it's pliable. Wrap one bacon slice gently in a spiral around each breadstick. (It is easy to break the breadsticks here, so go carefully.) In a shallow dish long enough to fit the breadsticks, stir together the brown sugar and chili powder. Press out any lumps or brown sugar with a fork. Roll each bradstick gently in mixture, coating bacon well and arrange about 1/2 inch apart on the rack of a broiler pan. (I spray it with Pam.)

Bake the breadsticks for about 20 minutes or until the coating is carmelized and bacon is deep golden. Loosen the breadsticks GENTLY from the rack. They will be very soggy! Allow to cool about 15 minutes. The bacon will become crip and the breadsticks will harden as they cool. Serve at room temperature.

You can also use the microwave for these, but sometimes it's easy to accidentally overcook them. Make sure it is THIN sliced bacon. Thick won't wrap around the breadsticks.

Oh, I'm not letting resentment build up....

I have dealt with these people since 1977 when I was just a kid of 19. They will never change. I don't expect them to. It just yanks my chain when they still treat me like I am 19, and not a middle aged person who lost her 49 year old husband of 25 years who was their only son and biological child. I won't get into the way they acted during the 7 weeks from Keith's diagnosis till his death last Christmas. People ( some of their own family included) are actually surprised that I speak to them at all let alone plan their parties, call them up to see how they are, and to make sure they are included in family functions and such.
Sometimes it just feels better to let off some steam to people who don't know them.

Ang, that is one I posted, I think...

My friend who made it said it was FABULOUS!!

It's on my list for next Christmas!

I like egg salad too...

I just can't handle liverwurst.
It would not be all that bad, if they would at least listen to some suggestions. You can jazz up tuna and egg salad. I suggested the cocktail rye, they said no, I suggested a wheat bread of some kind for the egg salad, again, no, some tiny rolls for the tuna, guess what they said?
No dill or cavier in the egg salad, no slivered almonds in the tuna nor, celery, red onion and/or carrot. I feel like I am being asked to prepare food for people who have been stranded out in the ocean on a life boat and have not eaten in weeks, or who are all on a special diet, which none of them are.
It's very frustrating to have your hands tied when you are pretty certain of the end results. Remember I have been doing this party for the same bunch of people for 7 years. I can pretty much tell you what gets eaten and what does not.
Olive and cream cheese sandwhiches? Uh Uh. no way. Liver wurst? Doubtful, but prolly more than the olive stuff. I feel better knowing that at least they are allowing me some freedom with the appetizers the trays and the cake.

Hi Dawn.. no it's not a 50's theme...

If it were it might be fun. It's just my inlaws who still reside in the 50's. You can almost go into their house and see yourself in black and white. They don't quite get it that people are not gung ho on certain foods like cream cheese and olive sandwiches or liverwurst.
Trying to come up with appetizers that do not look like I am trying to make sure no one goes hungry is what is frustrating me, plus the fact that they will not listen to suggestions on how to make things more appealing.
I thought of deviled eggs since just about everyone likes them, but they are making egg salad. Too much egg do you think?
There are some great suggestions listed here and I will come back and read them all after I write my daily letter to DJ.
thanks
marg

Hey Marg, I've got a great idea.......

why don't you just say NO to helping with the annual party? Why not plan a trip out of town and be gone when it happens? When they tell you the date of the party say "oh gosh I will be gone then- so sorry I can't help this year". I mean next year of course- I know it is too late for this year!

LOL, Oh Marg, I sympathize >>>

Can you at least sneak some ground walnuts into the cream cheese/olive stuff? My mom used to make it that way and it's actually pretty good. I don't suppose you could get a way with Dijon mustard and onions on the liverwurst? I'd have to "accidentally" forget to leave the onions, celery and almonds out of the tuna, but I don't want to encourage you to be too subversive with the in-laws!

Hi Marg, in addition to the foods they want you to prepare, why not...

bring some extra items that would satisfy your creativity. If they question what you brought, just tell them in a very cheery voice with a big smile, how much you love cooking and wanted to bring some "bonus" foods for everyone to try.

Personally, it sounds to me like they are using you. I like the suggestion of next year, planning a trip away from the situation. Maybe go somewhere you and Keith enjoyed visiting and telling your in-laws this is a trip you "need" to take. Then offer, most graciously, to bring her all your recipes!

Marg, I can't help out here....too tired, but I just wanted to send.....

you big hugs. Don't let this all bug you so. I'm sure no-one will think all the ideas are yours.
You could slip in some extras, tell them any excuse, make cheese crackers like my Mum made in a post above, they are extremely easy and Oh so tasty. I love egg mousse, egg salad, stuffed eggs and wouldn't mind seeing all three served at one party, LOL!...BUT I'd not eat the egg salad as it would be on my least fav. White bread. I'd still eat the other two offerings.....Go for it girl!
Go away next year as suggested, you need to make the break.
Big hugs and send my love to DJ
joanie

I really can't understand why they would even ask you to do this...

at this time of year, just losing your husband last Christmas. It must be very hard for you. They should be more sensitive.

Hi marg... what about the the 50's sandwich loaf, frosted with cream cheese? REC: Ribbon Sandwiches

It incorporates egg salad, deviled ham, and chicken salad?. You take a whole loaf of white bread and trim off the crust surface. Then cut the loaf of bread horizontally so that you have four long slices. Starting with bread on the bottom, spread one of the salads, cover with a slice of bread, then another salad, then bread then your last salad, then the last bread. Then you soften cream cheese with milk or sour cream, and "frost" the entire loaf. I assume that you would refrigerate it at this point. To serve, you slice it into maybe 1/2 inch slices. Someone else might have the exact recipe for this. I also have this one that is similar, Ribbon Sandwiches:

* Exported from MasterCook *

RIBBON SANDWICHES

Recipe By : Gails
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

Ham Filling Ingredients:
1/2 cup finely chopped cooked ham
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
Egg Filling Ingredients:
2 hard-cooked eggs -- chopped
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
1 package cream cheese -- (3-ounce) softened
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley -- if desired*
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives -- if desired**
Sandwiches Ingredients:
8 slices whole wheat bread
8 slices white bread
LAND O LAKES® Butter -- softened
Thinly sliced cucumber
Parsley sprigs
Chives
Celery leaves

Instructions:Stir together all ham filling ingredients in small bowl; set aside. Stir together all egg filling ingredients in small bowl; set aside. Stir together all cream cheese filling
ingredients in small bowl; set aside. Cut crusts from bread slices. Butter 1 side of each bread slice. Spread about 2 tablespoons ham filling on each of 4 slices whole wheat bread; top each with 1 slice white bread. Spread about 2 tablespoons egg filling on each of 4 slices whole wheat bread; top each with 1 slice white bread. Spread top of each sandwich with about 1 tablespoon cream cheese filling. Wrap with plastic food wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour. Slice each sandwich into thirds. Garnish with cucumber slices, parsley sprigs, chives or celery leaves.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Marg I see it isn't meant to be retro, but what if you try to salvage it by making it one...

I mean they actually might not notice and it would help save face so to speak. I say serve martini's (and down a few), set out packs of Pall-Mall's (for decoration), bring out the tv trays, put on Sinatra, and maybe I should look for something for you in my "white trash xmas" cookbook. It has all those horrid recipes in it!

(Or maybe do a tv dinner night theme and do everything in black/white with nick at night playing all the old black/white shows like Leave it to Beaver.)

Think of your theme as something like: Trashy Foods We Love To Hate, but secretly eat. Then maybe you can get into it a bit more.

I have a better idea! Just say NO! smileys/smile.gif

I'd very simply and lovingly say that as much fun as it's been, that I just wouldn't be able to do this again next year because my holidays were going to take a new spin. You don't owe them an explanation! OR wait until they ASK you next year then tell them!

Then stick with it!

They might get upset but what the hey! Usually when someone puts a stop to being controlled by a person the person gets UPSET. (they like being in control!)

Bless your heart! I can't believe they've pushed you into this for 7 years! You are a lot nicer than I! When I learned to say NO it felt pretty good! Try it! smileys/smile.gif

I wouldn't even make an excuse, either, I'd just say 'Sorry!' haha

How did DJ do being away from home over the holidays? I prayed for him.

Thanks for the breadstick recipe!

A friend served these at Thanksgiving, and he's not very good at sharing recipes. You're right, these are good. I was planning to look for the recipe. And thanks Carianna for the variation. Sounds great.

Hi Marg, some ideas...

>Now with that menu, what does one make for
>appetizers?

I'd say either go with the 'retro' theme (maybe using Ina Garten's onion dip recipe?), as many have suggested, or make spreads on crostini. Everything from hummus to roasted red pepper spread to caponata (that one may be "too much" for their taste?) can be made quickly and easily in a food processor, the crostini toasted in advance, and topped at the last minute. Little bowls of the spreads make it easy to pop open a retro sandwich and 'dress it up'. And you can make spreads that aren't aggressively flavored, so they're not "scary", if you know what I mean LOL!

Personally I'm not a liverwurst fan, but family members are, and I always offer a bowl of caramelized onions to top the liverwurst with and they love it. Psst, also if I got stuck eating it, it was the only way I could enjoy leberwurst!

As for dessert, a simple pound cake served with a fresh/dried fruit compote, might fit the season and and be easy on you (I'm thinking, given that pay scale & your relegation to the kitchen, make it easy easy easy!).

Happy New Year, and I'd agree with CathyZ, next year have 'out of town' plans. When they pay someone current catering wages, it might come as quite a surprise, who knows they might appreciate your efforts all these years just a bit more. And, if they don't, you did it in memory of Keith anyway so kudos to you!!!

R.

2 straightforward ideas. You have lots to choose from here. What a responsive group!

These are retro in fact. But easy and do-ahead. They're from Gail's, oh dear, who was that? Helen, I believe .

OLIVE CHEESE PUFFS

2 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 c soft butter
1 c sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
50 stuffed olives

Drain olives well. Cream cheese and butter; stir in flour, salt, and paprika. Mix
well. Wrap 1 teas. of batter around each
olive.

Freeze puffs and then bake at 400̊.

Makes 50 puffs.

My notes: I use chevre as well, or as a substitute. ANd chopped Nicoise olives work well with the chevre.

or these guys that I posted last month:

I used to stand over the stove exercising my biceps to make this. Ina Garten suggested the Cuisinart. This is her recipe with some adjustments I've been making them over the past month and everyone loves them. But they must be eaten HOT.

Cheese Puffs (Gougère) Makes about 60

1 cup milk
1/4-pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 extra-large eggs
1 cup grated Gruyere, save 1/4 c. for sprinkling
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 415 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a saucepan, heat the milk, butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg over medium heat, until scalded. Add the flour all at once and beat it vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for 2 minutes. The flour will begin to coat the bottom of the pan. Dump the hot mixture into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Immediately add the eggs, Gruyere, and Parmesan and pulse until the eggs are incorporated and the dough is smooth and thick.

Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip. Pipe in mounds 1 1/2 inches wide and 3/4-inch high onto the baking sheets. With a finger dipped into egg wash, lightly press down the swirl at the top of each puff as you are coating the upper surface with the wash. (You can also use 2 spoons to scoop out the mixture and shape the puffs with damp fingers.) Sprinkle with a pinch of Gruyere. Bake for 15-16 minutes, or until golden brown outside but still soft inside.
These freeze well for up to a month. Reheat from frozen at 300 - 5 minutes.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions.... and Joe, you will be pleased to know>>>

That I managed to talk them out of the white bread for the liverwurst, perhaps bully might be the correct term but anyway, who cares how it was achieved, as long as it was done. I told them that the Foodie Posse over at the Swap that I belong to gave a big thumbs down on the white bread. They were shocked that someone would disagree with them, I told them that EVERYONE disagreed with them, well... they are pretty disagreeable to begin with, but I digress..So today while I was out shopping for this festa, I picked up some rye cocktail bread and called them from the store to tell them . My FIL said "Well OK, I guess we'll have to give it a try" I said "Trust me on this one Pop, the Foodies will never steer you wrong" Now I am thinking of taking Ruth's advice and putting a small bowl of carmalized onion strategically close by. Perhaps this way people won't be so put off by plain old liverwurst. (shudder) Maybe with this new found bravery I will be ever so bold and sneak those slivered almonds into the tuna salad. Pray that they at least buy solid white tuna in water, and not the oily light one!
Thanks for all the help and support, as always you guys come through!
marg

Back