Perfect Steamed Boiled Eggs

J. Kenji López-Alt Managing Culinary Director

For the most evenly cooked, tender hard boiled eggs, forget the boiling water, use a steamer instead.

Why this recipe works:

Placing eggs into a pot full of steaming water cooks them evenly and gently with less risk of cracking than dropping them into simmering water.

Chilling the eggs immediately after boiling ensures that they come out perfectly shaped with no air space indentation on their fat end.

Starting the eggs hot and peeling under running water makes for easy, divot-free peeling almost every time.

1 tray of ice cubes

6 eggs

Procedures

If serving eggs cold, add 1 tray of ice cubes to a large bowl and fill with water. Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water. Place steamer insert inside, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add eggs to steamer basket, cover, and continue cooking 6 minutes for soft boiled or 12 minute for hard. Serve immediately if serving hot. If serving cold, immediately place eggs in a bowl of ice water and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before peeling under cool running water. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

mistral's Notes: I have steamed home-raised eggs and chilled as directed, then stored unpeeled eggs in the refrigerator and they still peel very easily. I have steamed 12 eggs at a time, chilled using more ice, and this method still works. 12 minutes may leave you with some darker colored, less cooked looking egg yolks, if you cook by the dozen. Try steaming a minute or or two longer; I have steamed up to 14 minutes with good, tender, nice-peeling results.

Orange Butter Cake and Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake >>>

Both these cakes are great. The Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake is listed under "Favorite Recipes" on this site - it lists the notes as Joe's, but some of the ones at the very end of the recipe sound like mine)!

ORANGE BUTTER CAKE

This is a fantastic cake. Very fluffy, moist and orangey. I used a tube pan and left it unfrosted the first time I made it - the second time, I frosted it with an Orange Cream Cheese Frosting - the third time, I made the glaze and added 1 tsp orange zest. (Note: I haven't tried the filling).

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter -- room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup orange juice (I use fresh)
3 tablespoons orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange extract

FILLING:
2/3 cup orange marmalade
3 tablespoons Grand Marnier

GLAZE:
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar -- sifted
3 tablespoons Grand Marnier (I used fresh orange juice)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter -- melted
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
*(I added 1 tsp orange zest)

DIRECTIONS:

Spread solid shortening (I use butter) on bottom and sides of tube pan or layer pans. Dust evenly with flour and tap out excess flour. Be generous with greasing and flouring indentations if using a decorative Bundt pan. Or, grease and line with parchment paper. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 F (325 F for dark pans).

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. With electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until smooth. *(I cream until light and fluffy). Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Alternately, add dry ingredients and juice, beating after each addition. Begin and end with flour. Scrape down sides of bowl and beater. Stir in grated orange zest and extracts.

Spoon batter into prepared pan(s); level top. Bake in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes for a tube cake *(I baked about 45 minutes), or 30 to 35 minutes for layers, or until top is golden brown and cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool in pan(s) on wire rack about 10 minutes. Run knife blade around edge of cake. Top with plate or cardboard disk, invert and lift off pan(s). Cool cake(s) completely.

Filling: In a small bowl, blend orange marmalade with liqueur. To fill layers, set one layer on cardboard cake dish or flat plate. Spread evenly with marmalade-liqueur, top with second layer.

Glaze: Beat together all glaze ingredients. Add more juice by the drop to thin, more sifted sugar to thicken. Glaze should drip heavily from spatula. Spoon over tube cake, allowing glaze to run down sides. Or, spread glaze over top of layers.

Edited from my files.

You mentioned a Sour Cream Choco cake, here is another one, T & T REC: The Chocolate Cake

This recipe appeared in the LA Times sometime in December in an article featuring potluck dishes. I have made it several times, and it always gets rave reviews. It is good with or without the chocolate chips, and I have used mini-morsels with great results.

THE Chocolate Cake
1 (1 lb 2.25oz) box Devil's Food cake mix
1 (3.9 or 4 oz) pkg instant chocolate pudding
5 eggs
1 (16 oz) carton sour cream
1 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups chocolate chips

Prepare a 12 cup Bundt pan and preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix cake mix, pudding, eggs, sour cream, butter and extract until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan and bake 50-55 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch. Cool in pan on rack. Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar, or top with chocolate glaze. YUM!

I have tried this with a lemon cake mix, lemon pudding and extract, and subbed blueberries/raspberries for the choco chips and topped with a lemon glaze.

Thx, Lisa. Since I am making....

four, I'll do this one. It looks easier than the other chocolate one I was planning to do.

Absolutely no problem, Gayle! The only reason I even

mentioned it was because when I read it, I thought, that's strange - those notes sound very familiar, and what a coincidence it was that Joe had done the same things as I had ... then suddenly I realized they were mine! LOL

Yum, I love this cake! We make it with caramel glaze on it...awesome!

I'm glad you posted this. I'd forgotten about it. thx!

Here is another version of the Apple Cake, one of our favs! Includes caramel glaze

My sister sent me this recipe, it is from her MIL. I like to set the cake over a rack and pour the warm glaze over it a couple of times, then reserve the leftover to serve warmed as a sauce with the cake.

Sis says the tube pan works best.

3 Eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups chopped peeled apple
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup pecans

Cream together eggs, oil and sugar. Add vanilla and apple. In separate bowl mix flour, soda, salt, and pecans. Mix dry ingredients into wet.

Bake at 350 degree for 1 hour 10 min. for tube pan, 40-45 min for 9x13 pan

Glaze:
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
Cook over medium heat for 2 1/2 minutes and pour over cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.

REC: Fresh Apple Bundt Cake

This one is always a big hit, and is even better a day or two later!

Fresh Apple Bundt Cake

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups flour
2 apples, peeled and chunked (I use Granny Smith)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Bake in a greased and floured Bundt pan at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a straw inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cake rack and cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Great as a breakfast bread!

Sorry about that, Meryl! I fixed it! When I did a C&P from Gail's along time ago....

that's all that was on it when I saved it.

Didn't mean to discredit you! smileys/smile.gif

Thanks, Meryl...and I'll try to be more careful when doing a C&P in the future....

But at the time I never thought we'd be on a different forum posting our favorite recipes! lol

*sigh

((hugs))

gayle-mo

I make this in a bundt and ice with cream cheese frosting....

There's never any left! Recipe looks strange it it's sooooo good. Better when made at least a day ahead. It's moist, dense and very flavorful! Keeps GREAT but once you cut it it'll be gone in a short time! I also bake this batter in loaf pans. Freezes great and keeps a long time in fridge, too. (if you hide it!)

I have taken this to countless potluck dinners at church and other places and there is never any left.

My mom was a vegetarian and used few eggs so she tweaked the 'crazy cake' recipe from the 60's to make this.

Banana Bread

In large mixing bowl sift dry ingredients:

3 c flour
2 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tst soda

Add:

3/4 c vegetable oil (I use canola)
3Tbs vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 - 2 cups mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Mix well with wire whip and pour into prepared bundt pan. (or 2 loaf pans) Bake at 350 approx 1 hour, (for bundt) or until tests done with toothpick.

Cool slightly and turn out. When cool, frost with cream cheese frosting and top with more chopped nuts.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 stick butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 Tbs milk or cream (more or less as desired)
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt

Blend butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Add powdered sugar and salt. Thin with as much milk or cream as needed to desired consistancy.

Back