RECIPE: Rec: Cotswold Cremes Hyacinth

RECIPE:

richard-in-cincy

COTSWOLD CREMES ‘HYACINTH’

6 Tablespoons chilled butter

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour

2 ½ Tablespoons light cream (from the Cotswolds please!)

some sugar

With your pastry blender (I mean your kitchen accoutrement – not your hubby!) or blending fork, cut the chilled butter into the sifted flour till the pieces are the size of small peas (petit pois). Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of the Cotswold cream over the dry part and mix – lightly! Push this to the moistened part at the side of the bowl (You should be using a bowl for this.) Repeat the last direction till the entire mixture is moistened. Form it into a ball. And then divide the ball in half. Now you have two balls. (Use your hands for this purpose, please; this is not a grapefruit.)

On a lightly floured work surface, roll each ball (with a rolling pin) to slightly less than 1/8 inch high. Cut it into rounds with a floured 1 ½ inch biscuit cutter. Dip one side of each round in sugar. Place each round, sugar side up, ½ inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. With a fork (your ordinary everyday cutlery works well for this) prick each round in 4 parallel rows. Bake at 375 degrees about 8 minutes or till golden and puffy. Remove at once to a rack! Once the biscuit rounds are thoroughly cooled, make little sandwiches of them (two rounds per biscuit) by putting Cotswold Crème Filling between the rounds, always keeping the sugary side "up".

COTSWOLD CRÈME FILLING: Thoroughly combine ¾ cup sifted confectioner’s sugar, 1 Tablespoon soft butter, 1/8 tsp vanilla (this is for unadventurous cooks; I myself like adding a little plum flavouring with a hint of honeysuckle and a touch of lime but Richard says it is not something to recommend to readers who are just learning to cook like me; I suppose he’s right that it’s safer if you stick with vanilla; it makes for a more boring biscuit but it can’t be helped. Anyway, as you’re not serving them to Emmet I’m sure you’ll be all right. Emmet adores my Cotswold Cremes with the plum flavouring and a hint of honeysuckle and a touch of lime but then that’s how he is.) Add 1 Tablespoon light cream or enough for spreading.

(N.B. You may use any kind of light cream from any part of the world, but you will be not be able to enjoy the occasion without your conscience pricking you if say you are serving Cotswold Cremes and your cream does not, in fact, come from the Cotswolds.)

Recipe by Hyacinth Bucket

Richard, would it be prudent to ask Hyacinth if there is any way to contact...(m)

...Horace P. Osterdonk? An invitation is definitely in order, methinks.

It's been ages...

Michael

Weeks ago I asked the developer of this software about being able to edit the heading...

He said that he purposely left out that ability because editing your heading and deleting your own posts are the "tools of troublemakers." He is right about that, and I haven't been sure if being able to edit your misspellings is worth opening up that can of worms. On one hand, we have yet to see any troublemakers. On the other hand, I prefer to make this place as troublemaker-unfriendly as I can. Comments & suggestions welcome on this.

I think mistakes are "charming" and "real people" make mistakes so I vote

don't change to let us edit the headings.

Speaking of mistakes, I apologize for a controversial posting I made the other day....I didn't realize the mistake until later. Oops.

Mimi, I vote that things (re headings) stay as they are as Cathy says....

we are real people...oft'times I for one am tired, to rushed, just plain lazy etc when I type and the mistakes are me...No prob with saying "oops" and correcting it on the next line as far as I'm concerned, if that is OK with others.
Hugs to you Mimi.

I agree, don't let us delete our own posts, but a question...

Maybe I'm having a blonde moment (no offense to blondes!) but I don't understand - how could being able to edit our headings cause troublemakers to do "their thing"?

But I still do agree it isn't worth the trouble to change things so that we could edit headings. :eek:)

And you're right, deleting would also cause problems with the numbering system.

Changing the headings so the conversation doesn't make sense?

Like you say something that incenses someone, then you change your heading to be more innocent so the incensed person looks like they got upset over nothing.

I don't know really, that was just an example I pulled off the top of my head. I'm not a troublemaker so I don't really know. ;o)))

If we make a horrilble mistake in the headline we can always >>

post a correction right under it. Anything to make the site troublemaker unfriendly is fine with me.

Mimi, I noticed a minor problem with the numbering of posts. Sometimes there will be several responses numered "2", because each one will have already been answered with a reponse #1, and the next entry becomes #2 even if it's the 5th response to the original post.

This is a MINOR problem we could all live with, it only gets confusing when there are lots of responses and counter-responses in a given thread, but perhaps a solution would be minor as well. Just FYI

Thanks again for this site, and don't feel the need to say "You're welcome" again.

Can you show me an example of this numbering thing? I've never seen that.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Oh, so you also see "Keeping Up Appearances"!!

Okay, so ole Hyacinth does overdo the acting bit. But as my husband says: "Onslow's my man!" I delight in that couple who seems to be either in bed or before the "telly", and the wife is always reading Mills & Boon. And when she gets all nicey-dicey with Onslow, the man retreats as if a snake had bitten him!

(Unfortunately we are now seeing repeats).

Now that I'm at work at a PC with Windows all the numbers are fine!

At home I have a new (used) Mac and the numbering shows up differently, like this:

400 (post)
___1. (reply)
___2. (reply)
___3. (reply)
______1. (reply)
______2. (reply)
___3. (reply)
______1. (reply)
___2. (reply)
______1. (reply)
___2. (reply)

(the lines are the only way I could indicate indentations)

It's my friend's old Mac and if I'm the only one experiencing this then it's nothing to worry about. Like I said, it's a MINOR problem.

Back