Speaking of Christmas cookies, what are your personal must haves every year?

mariadnoca

I haven’t finished my list, but cut out iced sugar cookies w the family cutters are always #1 and I have a note from mom I’m to carry on the tradition. Also, small kid size chocolate chip, chocolate peanut butter surprise (though some years it’s the peanutbutter cup version), and then I change it up. Often snickerdoodles because they are easy, some kind of spice or ginger, maybe anise this year…etc. Btw, these are all mailed to my sisters family.

What are your must haves?

Working on the final touches of the 2022 Recipe Swap Christmas Cookies book which will be available to all members at no cost download. 200+ pages
What a really special treat!! Paul............thank you for all this work you do and your general and overall thoughtfulness.

Wow! Thanks Paul!

Now that you’ve been looking at all those recipes…which are your top must have favorite Christmas cookies each year?

Wow! Thanks Paul!

Now that you’ve been looking at all those recipes…which are your top must have favorite Christmas cookies each year?
Personally I'm a sucker for shortbread and Italian cookies. I may do the Fourteen In One this year for volume and variety. But this collection has a lot of variety of type and ranging from really simple to complex. This week I will be picking the recipes with my daughters.

Also I'm already looking forward to doing a 2023 version where members can contribute photos of completed cookies. Maybe we'll do a contest...

Working on the final touches of the 2022 Recipe Swap Christmas Cookies book which will be available to all members at no cost download. 200+ pages
Wow and double WOW! Thank you so much for doing this, Paul. You are the best! Wigs

I haven’t finished my list, but cut out iced sugar cookies w the family cutters are always #1 and I have a note from mom I’m to carry on the tradition. Also, small kid size chocolate chip, chocolate peanut butter surprise (though some years it’s the peanutbutter cup version), and then I change it up. Often snickerdoodles because they are easy, some kind of spice or ginger, maybe anise this year…etc. Btw, these are all mailed to my sisters family.

What are your must haves?
I don't make all of these cookies every Christmas season, but here is a list of my favorite ones with most of the recipes coming from my childhood.
Favorite Christmas cookies
  • Christmas Bars (Aunt Sophia with original source The South Bend Tribune newspaper)
  • Ice Box Date Cookies (Elaine Wiggins)
  • Snack Time Molasses Cookies (Pillsbury’s 2nd Grand National Baking Contest)
  • Mexican Wedding Cakes (Elaine Wiggins)
  • Starlight Mint Surprise Cookies (Pillsbury’s 1st Grand National Baking Contest
  • Pecan Tassies (Elaine Wiggins)
  • Snickerdoodles (Sue Walorski)
  • Salted Nut Bars (Dorothy Surber)
  • Butterscotch Coconut Drops (Mrs. Morenc)
  • Chocolate Drop Cookies (Grandma Anna Wiggins)
  • Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies (Aunt Cindy Wiggins)
  • Disappearing Marshmallow Brownies (Gold Medal flour bag—Judi Trzaskowski)
  • Chocolate Crinkles (Judy Marvel)
  • Molasses Sugar Cookies (Jean Wiseman from Brer Rabbit Molasses bottle –green label)
  • Coconut Cherry Drops (Pillsbury’s 2nd Grand National Baking Contest)
  • Sorghum Cookies (Aunt Cindy Wiggins)
  • Caramelitas (Alberta Ruble)
  • Coconut Dream Bars
  • Apricot Butter Cookies (BEST OF GOURMET—Volume VI)

here is a sneak peak of the 2022 Christmas Cookies book.

Attachments

• SneakPeakChristmasBook.pdf
    268.1 KB · Views: 22
I think I might try these peppermint striped cookies, which I can sorta sometimes see behind the nyt paywall (though not their basic sugar cookie recipe it’s based on). They look festive and easy…a good combo, but I could only find red luster (not petal) dust locally. It calls for a combo of the dust, which I’m sure would add to the final look.
1670905753540.png

Maria, here is the striped cookie recipe

One of the reader comments:
"To make the red and pink stripes, I bought Wilton Color Dust in red, and Wilton Pearl Dust in Orchid Pink (these were the best options I could find at my local Michael's) and mixed them each with peppermint extract in separate small bowls. I used three different sized brushes to vary the size of the stripes."

And here is the sugar cookie recipe it is based on:

Last edited:
Back