Speaking of Christmas cookies, what are your personal must haves every year?

NYTimes Sugar Cookie

INGREDIENTS​

Yield: 2 dozen cookies
  • 2½ cups/320 grams all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup/225 grams unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
  • ¾ cup/150 grams granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

PREPARATION​

1. Step 1
    Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
  2. Step 2
    In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and granulated sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, and beat on medium speed until well combined, scraping the bowl as needed.
  3. Step 3
    Add flour mixture and beat on low speed just until combined. Scrape the bowl and fold a few times to make sure everything is well combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, flatten into a disk, and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
  4. Step 4
    Heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough ¼-inch thick. Use 3-inch floured cutters to cut out cookies, and transfer to two parchment- or silicone mat-lined baking sheets, spacing the cookies about 1½ inches apart. Reroll scraps as needed, chilling as needed until firm before rolling and cutting again. Freeze until very firm, about 10 minutes.
  5. Step 5
    Bake until golden brown at the edges, 12 to 14 minutes.
  6. Step 6
    Let cool a few minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, or frozen up to 3 months.

Maria, here is the striped cookie recipe

One of the reader comments:
"To make the red and pink stripes, I bought Wilton Color Dust in red, and Wilton Pearl Dust in Orchid Pink (these were the best options I could find at my local Michael's) and mixed them each with peppermint extract in separate small bowls. I used three different sized brushes to vary the size of the stripes."

And here is the sugar cookie recipe it is based on:
Thank you!!!

Fyi, I checked the butter price at smart n final today $5.46 for store brand. 😬 I usually get a very big bottle of pure Vanilla extract there, but they were out. Grabbed the last two 10lb bags of cane sugar and 25 lb bag of ka flour. The sugar was $12 and change per bag!

Thank you!!!

Fyi, I checked the butter price at smart n final today $5.46 for store brand. 😬 I usually get a very big bottle of pure Vanilla extract there, but they were out. Grabbed the last two 10lb bags of cane sugar and 25 lb bag of ka flour. The sugar was $12 and change per bag!
I miss Smart and Final so much!

I haven’t finished my list, but cut out iced sugar cookies w the family cutters are always #1 and I have a note from mom I’m to carry on the tradition. Also, small kid size chocolate chip, chocolate peanut butter surprise (though some years it’s the peanutbutter cup version), and then I change it up. Often snickerdoodles because they are easy, some kind of spice or ginger, maybe anise this year…etc. Btw, these are all mailed to my sisters family.

What are your must haves?
Cookies: Melting Moments, Scottish Shortbread, Disappearing Oatmeal Cookies, Grandma’s Gingersnaps, and Princess Gems.
Candy: Gayle’s Caramels, Gayle’s Peanut Brittle, Poppycock and Black Pepper Almonds.

Hi Everybody! And Merry Christmas to you all. My most favorite cookie is my Mom's Oatmeal cookie and I've already made two batches this season. The maple frosting is as addictive as the cookie itself. I make Starlight Mint Surprise cookies, Pecan Tastes and that is about all because we'd just keep eating them. I love the cookie compilation that Paul did! Lots of good memories there.

I haven’t finished my list, but cut out iced sugar cookies w the family cutters are always #1 and I have a note from mom I’m to carry on the tradition. Also, small kid size chocolate chip, chocolate peanut butter surprise (though some years it’s the peanutbutter cup version), and then I change it up. Often snickerdoodles because they are easy, some kind of spice or ginger, maybe anise this year…etc. Btw, these are all mailed to my sisters family.

What are your must haves?
Cream filled cookies, petite palmers, Thomas Keller's oreos, Wildly Wicked cookies, lemon macarons, chocolate macarons, paradise macaroons, gun cookies (spritz with the flat blade), rich rolled cookies, chocolate chip cookies, swedish ginger cookies, black and white meringues, Italian filled cookies.

Back