Thought it might be nice to post a few of Moyn's recipes/notes/posts. Care to join me?

REC: Catfish in Provencal Packages...

Catfish in Provencal Packages

Serving Size : 4

4 6-ounce catfish fillets
4 baby red potatoes -- thinly sliced in circles
2 Roma tomatoes -- cut in half
16 basil leaves
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 teaspoons butter
2 lemons -- sliced in circles
1 4-ounce can artichoke hearts in water -- drained and quartered
1/4 cup Kalamata olives -- or other black olives, pitted
1 Pinch red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Salt and pepper -- to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut 4 pieces of parchment paper into 1-foot squares and place on a flat surface (may use aluminum foil if desired.) In the center each piece, lay down a piece of catfish. Divide the remaining ingredients among the servings. Fold in the edges of the parchment paper and seal tightly to form a bundle. Rub the top of the parchment with a little olive oil to prevent the paper from scorching in the oven. Place packages on baking sheet and bake until the packages puff and fish is opaque, about 15 minutes. The potatoes and tomatoes should be very soft.

Transfer packages to plates. Allow each guest to open his or her own package at the table. Serve with lemon wedges.

REC: Chicken Liver Pate with Green Peppercorns...

CHICKEN LIVER PATE WITH GREEN PEPPERCORNS

Serving Size : 8

6 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup Yellow onion -- finely minced
2 garlic cloves -- chopped
1 teaspoon Dried thyme
1/2 cup Celery tops
10 Black peppercorns
2 Bay leaves
6 cups Water
1 pound Chicken livers
2 tablespoon Cognac
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground allspice
5 teaspoon green peppercorns -- water-packed
1/4 cup Heavy cream

1. Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook, covered, over medium heat for about 25 minutes, or until onion is tender and lightly colored.

2. Meanwhile add celery tops, black peppercorns and bay leaves to 6 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Add chicken livers to water and simmer gently for about 10 minutes; livers should still be slightly pink inside.

4. Drain the livers, discard celery tops, bay leaves and black peppercorns, and place livers, butter, onion and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add Cognac, salt, pepper, allspice and 4 teaspoons of the green peppercrns, Process until smooth.

5. Pour in the cream and process again to blend. Transfer to a bowl and stir in remaining teaspoon of green peppercorns.

6. Scrape mixture into a 2-cup terrine, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Let pâté stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.

REC: Polyn-Asian Turkey...

Polyn- Asian Turkey

Recipe By :Moyn/FL

2 1-pound turkey thighs
5 garlic cloves -- (5 to 6) minced
1 2-inch piece ginger -- minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
dark sesame oil -- a few drops
1 tablespoon black vinegar -- (to taste)
1 packet Goya ham bouillon
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce -- or to taste
5 scallions -- (5 to 6) sliced, reserve some for garnish
five-spice powder -- a sprinkle
cinnamon -- a sprinkle
ground cardamom -- a sprinkle
1/4 pineapple -- sectioned into tidbits
1 orange -- quartered & sliced
cilantro -- for garnish

Preheat oven to 475. Place turkey, skin side down in roasting pan. Season with next 11 ingredients.
Scatter the pineapple & orange atop the turkey.
Roast for about 30 minutes. Turn turkey to skin side up & baste with pan juices & rescatter all the fruit & veggies atop.
Finish roasting for about 15 minutes, or until done.
Correct seasonings & add some water (or orange juice, or even wine) , if necessary, to dilute the soy.
Garnish with cilantro & scallions & serve with a rice of your choice.
- - - - - - - NOTES : You could use chick thighs, altering the roasting time.

REC: Pork (or chicken) Stewed in Coconut Milk...

PORK (OR CHICKEN) STEWED IN COCONUT MILK

Recipe By :Mark Bittman

2 tablespoons canola oil -- grapeseed or any other neutral oil
2 pounds boneless pork butt -- or shoulder (2 to 3)
Salt and pepper -- to taste
10 shallots -- peeled and left whole
1 small chiles -- stemmed, seeded and minced (1 to 2), or dried chiles, or to taste
1 1-inch piece ginger -- peeled and minced
2 cans coconut milk -- unsweetened, or as needed (2 to 3)
1 tablespoon fish sauce -- (Thai nam pla) or soy sauce, or to taste
1 lime -- juice of, or more to taste.

1. Put oil in a large deep skillet or casserole that can later be covered; turn heat to medium-high. Brown pork on all sides, turning as necessary, and adjusting heat so the meat browns but does not burn. This will take about 20 minutes. Season it with a little salt and pepper.

2. When the pork is just about browned, add shallots, chilies and ginger; brown a bit, then add about 2 cups coconut milk and the nam pla. Bring to boil, cover, and adjust heat for a steady simmer. Cook, turning occasionally, for at least 90 minutes, or until the pork is tender; add additional coconut milk if mixture dries out.

3. When the pork is tender, remove to a platter. Stir lime juice into sauce; taste, and adjust seasoning, adding more chili, nam pla or lime juice as necessary. Carve meat, and serve it with sauce.

S(Forum Member):
"Moyn/FL"
Start to Finish Time:
"2:10"
T(Cooking Time):
"2:00"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 779 Calories; 67g Fat (75.5% calories from fat); 33g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 121mg Cholesterol; 133mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 11 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Moyn's notes: I used a 2 3/4 lb pork shoulder roast, & about 4 shallots, 5 cloves of garlic & 2 small onions, peeled. Used whole dried chilies, which I removed before serving. I've done a similar recipe with whole milk, and trust me, it comes out completely different! Also, I only need about 1 3/4 cans of coconut milk. I added the zest of the lime, at the end, for added oomph! Served with Jasmine rice studded with scallions (sprinkled some of the green parts over the sliced meat, also) and steamed haricot verte.

The gravy was really terrific and really needed the rice!

Variations: For chicken stewed in coconut milk, use 4 chicken leg quarters in place of the pork. Brown in 4 tablespoons oil, on skin side first, then turn over. Cook for a couple of minutes more, then proceed as in Step 2, leaving lid askew so liquid reduces more quickly. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes.

For chicken (or pork) in milk, use half butter and half olive oil. Substitute garlic for shallots; omit chilies, ginger, nam pla and lime, but add 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or sage leaves. Substitute whole or 2 percent milk for coconut milk. Cooking times are about the same.

The Italian versions cry out for crusty bread and the Thai style for sticky rice.

REC: Sauteed Baby Artichokes with Lemon & Garlic...

Sauteed Baby Artichokes with Lemon and Garlic

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 pounds artichokes -- smallest baby (about 14)
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove -- thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice to a large bowl of water. Working with one artichoke at a time, pull off the dark outer leaves and trim 1/2 inch off the top. Halve each of the artichokes, then drop them into the lemon water.

2. Drain the artichokes and blanch them in the boiling water until tender when pierced with a knife, about 3 minutes. Drain well.

3. Meanwhile, melt 1 teaspoon of the butter in the oil in a large nonreactive skillet. Add the garlic and cook over high heat for 10 seconds. Add the artichokes, season with salt and pepper and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of butter and serve.

REC: Tofu Dressing...

Tofu Dressing

4 garlic cloves -- peeled (4 to 6)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 14-ounce package tofu -- silken
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce -- (Asian)
2 anchovies
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 Dash tabasco sauce

Combine all of above in blender & puree until completely smooth.

NOTES : Next time, to vary it.... I would add fish sauce & anchovies to half, and add another herb like dill or basil, with parsley, to the second half.... giving me an assortment to choose from. We really didn't miss the oil at all in this, BUT, if you do, you can always thin it out with a TBSP or so, before tossing the salad.

This was one of my best sellers at the Farmer's Market...REC:. Moyn's Jewish Peniisildldn

Welcome Dana, your mom was loved and is missed, so glad to have you here. She was such a wonderful soul. She was loved her by all.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jewish Penicillin

Recipe By :Moyn/FL
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups And Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 chicken ( 3 - 5 lbs.)
1 onion -- peeled, left whole
3/4 carrots -- sliced or chunked
2 stalks celery -- sliced
1 parsnip -- peeled, left whole
1 small bunch dill
1 small bunch parsley (you can chop if you
like)

Put all of above in a large soup pot. Cover with water. Add some salt & pepper.
Bring to boil, and then simmer for about an hour and a half, adding a bit more water, as necessary. Remove parsnip, dill, onion...... discard these (I love to eat the parsnip, mashed with a bit of butter!). Remove chicken... skin, and shred back into soup, if desired.. otherwise, save for use in chicken salad,
chicken pot pie, etc. Skim the soup of fat and serve!! (you may add some boiled thin noodles, or rice).
Moyn's note: Guaranteed to get 'em out of bed, and out of the house within 48 hours!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope this is the one barb-REC: Mango Curried Chicken...

Mango Curried Chicken

4 chicken legs (about 2 lbs)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small sweet green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup long-grain rice
2 tsp curry powder (I used Madras)
1/2 tsp each ground cumin and salt
1/4 tsp pepper (added dash of cayenne pepper)
2 cups water
1/4 cup mango chutney (I used 3-1/2 tbsp)
1 tbsp tomato paste
optional: toasted coconut to garnish (didn’t use)

Remove skin from chicken. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat: brown chicken all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate.

Drain off all but 2 tsp fat from pan. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, rice, curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or just until rice starts to brown. Stir in water, chutney and tomato paste.

Nestle chicken in rice mixture; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced and rice is tender. Serve garnished with coconut, if using (I didn’t use.)

Makes 4 servings
Per serving (about): 405 calories; 8g fat, 31g protein; 51g carbohydrates

Source: Canadian Living’s Best 30 Minutes and Light
Notes from Cookbook: We’ve stretched the 30 minutes in this recipe, but we haven’t stretched the truth about how easy this one skillet dish is, how healthful it is with only 8 g fat per serving and what a bargain chicken legs are. And we’re not exaggerating when we say that it will be a hit with hungry diners. Serve with pappadams and a selection of chopped fruit, cucumber, yogurt and chutney. Pappadams are thin, crisp Indian breads made from chickpea flour. To prepare, microwave on high for about 1 minute per pappadam, turning halfway, or until puffed and golden.

Pat’s note: Delicious and easy. Good served with steamed green beans or a salad. A great one pot dish.

Rec: Hunger Killer Matambre

Moyn posted this at TOB:

1 1/2 Lb flank steak
6 Slices pancetta
salt & pepper
1 Tsp dried oregano
1 Tsp dried sage
1 6 Oz kielbasa sausage -- 1/2 " thick strips
1/2 red bell pepper -- 1/2 " strips
1 Pc Romano cheese -- (6 oz) 1/2 " thick
strips
1 Long carrot -- peeled, cut
lengthwise into quarters
1/2 green bell pepper -- cut into 1/2" strips
2 hard cooked eggs -- quartered

To butterfly flank steak, place steak at edge of cutting board, short side toward, you. Using long slender knife, butterfly meat, by cutting almost in half through narrow edge of long side & open it up as you would a book. Pound it flat with the side of meat cleaver.
Arrange bacon strips, leaving 1 " between each, on lg rectangle of heavy duty foil. (Strips should run parallel to bottom edge of cutting board.) Place flank steak on top of bacon, so grain of meat runs perpendicular to bacon. Generously season meat with salt & pepper to taste. Sprinkle with oregano & sage.
Arrange strips of sausage in neat row, end to end, along edge of meat closest to you. Place row of red bell pepper strips next to it. Then row of cheese strips, then carrot strips, then grn pepper strips, the eggs. Repeat process until filling ingreds are used. Leave last 3 inches of meat uncovered.Starting at edge closes to you & using foil to help, roll meat with filling to make compact roll. Pin top edge shut with skewers or tie with string. Encase roll in foil, twisting ends. Poke several holes in foil at each end to release steam.
Place matambre in center of grill away from fire or in oven & cook til tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. To test for doneness, insert metal skewer. It should pierce meat easily & be piping hot to the touch. Transfer matambre to cutting board & let cool 30 minutes. Remove foil & skewers or string. Cut roll widthwise into 1 inch thick slices. Makes 8 appetizer or 4 main course servings.

notes: May sound complicated, but can be assembled in 15 minutes. When people see the results, they'll think you've been working for hours. To set up charcoal grill for indirect cooking, light coals & rake them to periphery of grill. cook matambre in center of grill. To set up gas grill for indirect cooking, light fron & rear burners, or burners on ONE side. Cook matambre in center of grill or on opposite side.

I've made many, many times--it's a great cake. I have a funny story about it I must share.

I was making this cake for a friend's 10th wedding anniversary party. I was in the kitchen, and my husband was sitting at the table reading. I was making the cake, when suddenly I had a moment of panic and said "OH MY GOD!! The recipe doesn't have any flour in it! I don't know how much flour to use!"

So my husband looks up and says, "It's a flourless chocolate cake--it's not *supposed* to have any flour in it."

Boy, was I embarrassed. Of course, it's too good a story to keep to ourselves. We've laughed about it for years.

Moyn's Citrus -Cilantro Gravlax

CITRUS - CILANTRO GRAVLAX

Rinse & pat dry 2 1-1 1/2lb. salmon fillets (skin on), run your fingers along the flesh side; remove any bones using sterile pliers. Cut several slashes into the skin. Combine 3/4 cup raw sugar, 3/4 cup kosher salt and 2 tsp white pepper. Set aside. Thoroughly wash & dry 1 large bunch cilantro and 1 large bunch flat leaf parsley. Combine the leaves & tender stems. Use half the herbs to make a bed in a glass dish large enough to hold the salmon. Sprinkle on half the sugar-salt mixture. Lay the salmon on top, skin side down. Pour 3 ounces (6 tbsp) citron-flavored vodka
over the fish. Sprinkle the remaining sugar-salt mixture over the fish.
Cover the fish with 3 thinly sliced Key limes.Spread the remaining herb mixture of top. Cover the salmon completely with plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil and a clean kitchen towel. (Like I would have used a filthy one!!! ha!) Top with 5 lbs of weight, such as several cans from your pantry. Refrigerate for 6 hours. Uncover the fish & drain any liquid. Re-cover, replace the weight & refrigerate for 40 hours, turnining twice. (Set your timer!) Remove the salmon from the dish and wipe off the herbs & seasonings. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap & refrigerate for up to 4 days.

To serve, cut away the skin and slice the salmon thinly, on the diagonal. Serve with lightly buttered dark bread or toast points.

Makes 12 - 14 appetizer servings.

From Aquaterra Restaurant in Palm Beach.

Moyn's note: It has been my experience that this can be frozen, as I freeze, very successfully, my Smoked Salmon recipe, and it lasts for months in the freezer, all ready to be pulled out at a moment's notice, for company.

Pat..this is great. Sheand I were mad keen on Preserved lemons...but I can't find the post...I am...

using the last of the lemons I made in memory of her. Last night we had Morrocan chicken with cous-cous and preserved lemon. Oh, so yum!

Preserved Lemons:

I have these lovely little mustard jars that hold just one lemon. I sometimes make a couple of wee jars, as I do a jar full, for a small hostess gift.

Squeeze the juice of many lemons (about 5) and set aside.

Wash about 5 unblemished firm lemons well.

Cut lemons into 1/4 almost through. (I cut some into wedges and some carefully cut almost through but still keep the shape so it looks good in the jar...I do about 1 doz at a time)
Salt...I like to use Kosher salt but any salt will do.

Pour as much salt over and on the sliced lemons and arrange in well washed jars, uncut side down.
Add more salt, sprinkling through as you pack the jar.
Pour over the squeezed lemon juice. Top right up.
Seal the jars and leave on the window sill for a couple of weeks, turning every few days.

I usually refridgerate after opening but this is because it is an easier storage than a cupboard.

It is not necessary to go the whole canning way with sterilizing and sealing lids. The salt is a great preserver.

To use:
Take a piece of the lemon out of the jar, wash the fruit and pith away from the skin under running water.
Chop or slice and add to many dishes. It enhances the flavours in a very special way.

There are other recipies out that use other spices but this recipe of only salt and lemon juice is the best in OHO.

REC: Mustard-Glazed Corned Beef Brisket

My notes say Epicurious 59907.1 Moyn in case anyone wants to find the original post!

6 servings
1 4-5 lb corned beef brisket
8 whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves

1/2 C Dijon mustard
1 t dry mustard
1/2 C honey
1/3 C Sherry wine vinegar
1/3 C firmly packed brown sugar
1 T sesame oil

Place brisket in large pot. Add water to cover. Refrigerate 6 hrs or overnight. Drain brisket. Add water to cover, peppercorns and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 3 1/2 hours. Drain. Cool. Cover and chill overnight. Transfer brisket to heavy shallow roasting pan, fat side up. Bring brisket to room temp. Preheat oven to 350°F.

Whisk mustards in heavy small saucepan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer 5 min. Spread evenly over top of brisket. Bake 45 min.

**My notes: I have used the stock from the brisket to cook onions, carrots, potatoes and cabbage to go along with the brisket--for a wonderful St Patricks dinner. Thank you Moyn!

Rec: Citrus Marinade

Citrus Marinade (great with shrimp, boneless chicken breast, and salmon)

2 large garlic cloves (used 4)
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (used lime juice)
1/4 cup fresh orange or lime juice (used orange juice)
1 1/2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest (used lime zest)

Thinly slice garlic and in a small saucepan cook in oil over moderately low heat until it just begins to turn golden. Remove pan from heat and with a slotted spoon discard garlic. Into oil in pan stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste and cool marinade. Makes 1 cup (enough for 1 1/2 to 2 pounds chicken or shrimp).

Source: 8/97 Gourmet, Moyn’s changes above.

Moyn said: I marinated the chicken all day, then grilled it... it was absolutely succulent! Served it with some steamed broccoli, and a simple sauce of mayonnaise mixed with a bit of chili oil.

Candy said: We grilled the chicken and served it with new potatoes with parsley and butter and Karen's Summer Salad with Cashew Dressing and it was a great meal.

Karen/No.CA said: Moyn, I made your Citrus Marinade for my chicken and it is fabulous! I did your tweaks to save time. I loved the fresh citrus taste with the bbq taste! Charlie, The Store Cold Ziti Salad with Tomatoes and Peppers was great. I did a few tweaks (tossed Ziti with buttermilk and used a chicken powered seasoning).

Pat’s notes: marinated shrimp about 2 hours, skewered and grilled them and they were great. Served with corn salsa and bbq ribs with blackberry sauce. Yummy. Other reviewers gave rave reviews using the marinade with boneless breasts and thighs, shark fillets, salmon, a butterflied breast of turkey.

Rec: Swedish Meatballs

Moyn’s notes: This is THE best REC: Swedish Meatballs that I've ever done. It was posted by nlb, who was one talented swapper at Gail's.

Swedish Meatballs

2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup milk (I used less milk)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/4 lbs ground round (or I have used ground turkey)
1 3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cardamom
3 tbsp flour
1/8 tsp pepper
10 1/2 oz can beef broth
1/2 cup light cream

In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, and dry bread crumbs. In a large skillet, heat 1 T butter and sauté chopped onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Lift out with slotted spoon. Add to bread crumb mixture, along with ground round, 1 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t dill weed, allspice, nutmeg and cardamom. With a wooden spoon or your hands, mix well to combine. Refrigerate covered for 1 hour. Shape meat mixture into balls, each about 1 inch in diameter. In remaining hot butter, sauté meat balls, about half at a time, until browned all over (keep them round by shaking the pan). Remove meat balls to a quart casserole as they are browned. Remove skillet from heat. Pour off drippings. Measure 2 T drippings, adding more butter if necessary. Pour back into skillet; add flour, the remaining 1/4 t salt, and the pepper, stirring together to make a smooth mixture. Gradually stir in beef broth. Bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly. Add cream and remaining 1/2 t dill weed. Pour over meatballs in casserole. Bake covered at 325̊F for 30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings

Source: nlb @ Gail’s from the Gator Country Cooks from The Junior League of Gainesville, Florida

Pat’s notes: These are great and saucy too.

Back