Thought it might be nice to post a few of Moyn's recipes/notes/posts. Care to join me?

Rec: Coconut Beef Curry

Loved Moyn's notes about tweaking the spices in this for her husband.

Coconut Beef Curry

Brown 2 lbs. stewing beef (1/4" strips) with 1 tbsp oil in a pan.

Add and cook just until fragrant:
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp red curry paste

Put in a crockpot with:
4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 lb. bag of small baby carrots

Add:
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 14 oz. can of coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
(May add salt and pepper to taste near the end of cooking)

Stir it all. Cover and cook on LOW 8 - 10 hours or HIGH 4 - 6 hours until the veggies are tender and the stew is bubbling. Sprinkle with cilantro.
I find it ready at 7 hrs on LOW, if the beef was browned first. Enjoy!

Pat’s notes: This was great!! Used a little more than 3 lbs. of Country Style Pork Ribs, cut into bite-sized pieces. Browned the pork and onions, then, like Moyn and Judy, finished the dish in the oven. Added the potatoes and carrots about 15 minutes after popping into the oven. Very yummy dish and great leftovers. A keeper.

Moyn said: I used about 3 1/2 lbs of Country Style Pork Ribs, cut into LARGE chunks, increased the garlic (doubled it), and used green curry paste, since that's all I had, and decreased it for Mr Wimpy, to less than 1 TBSP. (Must admit, I've sneaked a few spoonfuls of the sauce.... it's WONderful!)
We'll begin with a salad of leaf lettuce with cuke & avocado & scallion, and despite the potatoes (of which I only used one) in the dish, I felt I had to do a base to soak up all the wonderful sauce, so I did some quinoa with fresh spinach & nutmeg. I did it in the oven at 375 for about 45 minutes, after browning the meat & onions, etc. on top of the range. I can't wait for dinner (may add some more green curry to my portion, LOL). Thanks so much for posting.
More Moyn’s notes: This dish is a Winner!!!! It was terrific! And, since I didn't use the crockpot, the meat was tender, but not "fall apart", so Teddy didn't object, even tho he did comment when he looked at it. (Hmmm, a stew, huh?). I just cut the pieces in either half or in thirds, so I had LARGE pieces. And the quinoa was the perfect "zzzooooper upper". The recipe goes into the "keeper" file. Thanks again.

Judy/Mass said: I have this in the oven as I type using pork, red curry paste, and I added some chopped tomatoes. Got brown rice simmering on the stove, will add cilantro and spinach to that when it's close to done. I did put a bunch of grated fresh ginger into the water as I added the rice. I'm looking forward to this dinner!
More Judy’s notes: And it was terrific! I stirred baby spinach into the rice in the last few minutes, and that was great with the curry spooned along side. I'm glad I used the full amount of red curry paste, but am also glad that I don't have a Mr. Wimpy to feed. smileys/smile.gif

Thanks Charlie! Much appreciated!~

I did not recall that Pat initially posted the recipe. I remember Moyn pointing me to the recipe and mentioning that Teddy did not like things too hot/spicy, and this fit the bill perfectly for our family! It is a keeper!
Thanks for tracking it down.
Happy New Year!
Barb

I try really hard not to fix my misspellings, but this one I cannot ignore, Moyn's Jewish Penicillin

Moyn's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fennel

Moyn sent me this in an email and I've made them countless times as part of an antipasti platter:

"Joe,
I saw the post on brussel sprouts & just had to say, I do, as you do...Remove the outer leaves...cut the stem & make an X..... THen... as for tonight's dinner... I halved them & sprinkled with EVOO, and some fennel seed & kosher salt..... Bake at 450 for 20 minutes... then turn to other side for 20 minutes more... YUM!!!!"

corned beef

Hi Barb!
I was the one that orginally posted the corned beef recipe for Moyn. I was so honored that she made one of my dishes!

SusanKentfieldCa

Hi Susan--than a big thank you to you too! I love this recipe. I couldn't get the

link to work, were you able to find the post at Gails archives?

I was thinking the same, last night. Or more accurately, a separate post in the Hall of Fame. I

would like to post Moyn's wonderful story about meeting Teddy over a wire potato grater but now I can't locate it.

I love that story. Thanks Moyn.

Rec: Moyn's Turkey Thighs

Moyn’s Turkey Thighs

1 2 lb turkey thigh, skin on
scant handful each of fresh basil, rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
approximately 1/8 cup slivered dried sun dried tomatoes, reconstituted in app 1/3 cup water
scant handful of salt packed capers, rinsed and drained
Cavender's Greek seasoning
Salt and pepper
Chili oil
approximately 1/3 - 1/2 cup dry white wine
paprika

Preheat oven to 425. Spray roasting pan with cooking spray or olive oil. Place thigh in pan, skin side DOWN, & sprinkle lightly with Cavender's, to taste. Cover the meat with the chopped herbs & garlic, and then the capers. Drizzle with a small amount of chili oil & then sprinkle with s&p to taste, and a bit of paprika. Roast, basting every few minutes, and after about 20 minutes, add the white wine. Keep basting, and, at the 40 minute mark... turn the thigh, skin side up.... sprinkle with paprika & baste with herbs & liquid. Roast about 10 more minutes or so, til meat is JUST done.

Let thigh rest a few minutes out of oven, & then slice, around the bone. (It really sliced beautifully, & looked like meat, not poultry!!).
Put pan with juices & herbs on med flame & reduce a bit and correct seasonings. Serve over the sliced roast with noodles or rice. We're ALWAYS lo carbing, so I served it with a bed of thinly slivered cabbage which I sauteed with some mushrooms & a bit of mushroom base for additional flavor. This was sooooo good!

Back