Which vanilla beans do you like best? Tahitian or Madagascar, long or short (or no difference)?

Yes! eBay is where I buy my vanilla beans!

You can buy fresh beans, any variety for a great price!

Some baking supplies ..

I am always on the lookout for unique and elegant cupcake liners and have found a couple through ebay. Speaking of cupcakes, I also bought a cupcake tree display through ebay. I have purchased many new baking pans through ebay.

As a side note: Whenever I want to buy a new kitchen tool or small appliance I will find it in a catalog and always check ebay before I purchase. I bought an excellent new Giaggia espresso machine at a fraction of the cost and new Illy espresso cups recently also. Sometimes I will also search Williams Sonoma or Sur la Table and see what pops up. (Yep, I am an ebay regular).

Sorry Cyn for hijacking your post!

but I'm afraid I don't have the answer! Someone will, I am sure. :eek:)

Cyn, there is a definite difference in taste. I've only used Madagascar...

but here's some good info describing each type of vanilla from David Lebovitz (www.davidlebovitz.com):

"What's the difference between the three 'origins' of vanilla available?"

"Bourbon: This doesn't mean the vanilla contains whisky, it refers to the I'le de Bourbon, now known as Réunion. Most Bourbon vanilla is now grown on the island of Madagascar, the largest vanilla-producing region on the world. Bourbon vanilla is the strongest and most full-flavored of all the vanillas and give you the most 'bang-for-your-buck'. I use Bourbon vanilla for baking, since it's assertive flavor doesn't lose potency when cooked.

Tahiti: Tahitian vanilla gained popularity a decade ago; it's shockingly-high cost perhaps fanned it's fame. Tahitian vanilla has a more delicate flavor; very floral and tropical. I use it in fruit salads or scenting tropical fruit desserts since baking with it seems a waste of it's subtle flavor. Tahitian vanilla used to be far more expensive than Bourbon, but recent socio-political and economic events equalized the prices somewhat. Tahitian vanilla beans are plumper than others, although that doesn't necessarily mean they have more flavor or are a better value. They're just naturally moister.

Mexico: If you think that quart bottle you bought in Mexico for $1 was a great bargain, think again (then dump it down the drain.) Real Mexican vanilla is perhaps the best in the world, and the price of pure Mexican vanilla is similar to other pure vanilla extracts. Labeling laws in Mexico differ than those in other countries, so that jumbo bottle of 'Real Mexican Vanilla' you bought at the tourist shop is likely a synthetic and contains coumarin, a substance banned in the United States by the FDA since it's considered toxic (some chocolatiers in France and Belgium are flavoring chocolates with woodsy Tonka beans, the source of coumarin). I love pure Mexican extract, it's sweet-spicy scent reminds me of just-churned vanilla ice cream and is versatile for every baking and cooking application.

Other vanilla growing regions include Bali, Sumatra, Java, China, and Indonesia. Often in some of these countries, vanilla beans are dried over fires to speed up the process, giving the vanilla beans a smoky aroma. I sniff the vanilla before buying (if I can) when it's been produced in any of these countries but in general, I avoid vanilla from these regions. The prices are generally lower but the quality is often inferior.."

I haven't used the beans but as far as extracts....

there is a huge difference in taste - and by that I mean when I got the Tahitian extract (Trader Joe's) it tasted like something completely different and for my tastes...not in a good way. It was so different that even in a small amount like in cookies had me tossing out the whole batch.

To each his own I suppose but not to my particular liking. Just my 2 cents smileys/smile.gif

Me, too, buonappetito! What Gaggia did you get?

My first machine was the Gaggia Espresso and it was a marvelous machine! I sold it on eBay when I upgraded to my Rancilio Silvia.

I bought a 2nd Gaggia Espresso for when I travel. Have latte' must travel, you know! ha

Like buonappetito, I always check eBay first...

I have bought green coffee beans, various spices and some Ghirardelli chocolate. TONS of other non-food things! I LOVE eBAY - and the prices I can get stuff for!

Maria, my sister just returned from a trip, and I asked her to bring back both vanillas from TJ's...

I asked her to bring the Madagascar, and the Tahitian, so I could do a side by side sampling.

But now that you mention it, I think I actually did a side-by-side a while ago, and came to the same conclusion you did about the Tahitian.

Drats - if only I weren't so forgetful!

Name of magazine and "magazine subscription" - example inside

For example: chocolatier magazine subscription

gourmet magazine subscription
cooking light magazine subscription

Sandi, can you characterize the difference though? I'm really interested as I love

vanilla and try to use it as a substitute for some of the sugar in sweet recipes.

Or Maria??

All I remember is that I wasn't thrilled with that, and not worth making a special trip for. smileys/smile.gif

There was something that I didn't care for, and decided I didn't need to buy it again.

But forgetful me, now that I have both again, I'll do the side-by-side again, and report the findings later smileys/smile.gif

Back