Looking for new appetizer ideas with the holidays approaching

music-city-missy

Just wondering what new appetizer recipes everyone might be making these days. I have been in a rut for a long time and need some new ideas.

Just wondering what new appetizer recipes everyone might be making these days. I have been in a rut for a long time and need some new ideas.
So funny, I was feeling the same rut! Try these apple onion triangles, if you haven't--they're delicious and freeze well.

I get the Food and Wine recipe newsletter and really enjoy it. Here is one for appetizers--I thought the roasted tomato-basil hummus looked good and a little different. But scroll down past the first recipes and there are many many more collections.

I like to fix shishito peppers --roasted in a screaming hot pan and served with sriracha aioli. I recently made chicken liver pate--served on baguette slices with a sweet conserve of apples (or cherries). Small Camembert round heated in oven and served with baguette slices or crackers.
Baguette slice spread with pimento cheese and run under the broiler to heat and melt--and if you have it, spread first with bacon jam, then pimento cheese and heat.
our family is really into charcuterie platters these days.

I like to have hors d'oeuvre frozen for me. Just me. I, too, am tired of gougeres, cheese pastry wrapped olives, etc. I have a really old recipe, Caviar Pie, that is soooooooo wonderful and you may not have tried it. But also don't forget about Deb's onion tarts. They can prepared in about 10 minutes and get endless raves. I don't/can't keep them for myself as somehow, they just seem to disappear.

Onion Tarts Hors d’œuvre Deb in Mi

Pastry for one 9-inch pie shell

Filling.

3 T. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Dash cayenne pepper
Dash freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Press walnut-sized pieces of the pastry dough evenly into miniature tart shells and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350’F. To make the filling: In a medium-sized skillet, melt the butter and saute the onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.

Fill the reserved tart shells to the top and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 24 miniature tarts.

I use 1 pkg. Pillsbury sheet pastry cut up into 12 2 ½ " shallow tarts, perfect for this quantity of filling. I also crumble in a pinch of dried French thyme.

Freezes well but breaks easily after.
-----------------------

Caviar Pie

I do ½ of the recipe but serve it on the same...2 - 3 avocados.

2-3 ripe avocados, peeled and THINLY sliced
6 hard-cooked eggs
4 T. green onion, finely chopped
5-6 T. mayo
¼ t. Dijon mustard (I always use Maille, only Maille)

2 T. chopped parsley
juice of half lemon
salt and pepper
1 ½ c. sour cream
1/3 t. Dijon (don't be tempted to add more)
13 ½ oz. jar lumpfish caviar, very thoroughly drained (black)

Dip the sliced avocado in lemon juice and arrange on the bottom of a quiche or pie plate, any serving plate with a bit of an edge. Mash the cooked eggs and combine with the green onion, mayo, mustard, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon an even layer over the avocados, then blend sour cream with additional 1/3 t. Dijon and spread this over the top. There should be about ¼ “ layer of sour cream. Sprinkle top with caviar, cover and chill for several hours.

Guests spoon the creamy pie onto the cracker for nibbling.

Note: It is very important to drain the caviar first. I put it into a fine strainer and gently stir it from time to time...otherwise the black liquid is quite unattractive as it oozes out onto the creamy white surface. It may take an hour to drain well.

The biggest trick is to get the avocado just at the perfect ripeness. It has to fall apart enough to allow scooping with a spoon without the need for cutting, yet firm enough to hold together to support what is above it.

I like to have hors d'oeuvre frozen for me. Just me. I, too, am tired of gougeres, cheese pastry wrapped olives, etc. I have a really old recipe, Caviar Pie, that is soooooooo wonderful and you may not have tried it. But also don't forget about Deb's onion tarts. They can prepared in about 10 minutes and get endless raves. I don't/can't keep them for myself as somehow, they just seem to disappear.

Onion Tarts Hors d’œuvre Deb in Mi

Pastry for one 9-inch pie shell

Filling.

3 T. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Dash cayenne pepper
Dash freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Press walnut-sized pieces of the pastry dough evenly into miniature tart shells and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350’F. To make the filling: In a medium-sized skillet, melt the butter and saute the onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.

Fill the reserved tart shells to the top and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 24 miniature tarts.

I use 1 pkg. Pillsbury sheet pastry cut up into 12 2 ½ " shallow tarts, perfect for this quantity of filling. I also crumble in a pinch of dried French thyme.

Freezes well but breaks easily after.
-----------------------

Caviar Pie

I do ½ of the recipe but serve it on the same...2 - 3 avocados.

2-3 ripe avocados, peeled and THINLY sliced
6 hard-cooked eggs
4 T. green onion, finely chopped
5-6 T. mayo
¼ t. Dijon mustard (I always use Maille, only Maille)

2 T. chopped parsley
juice of half lemon
salt and pepper
1 ½ c. sour cream
1/3 t. Dijon (don't be tempted to add more)
13 ½ oz. jar lumpfish caviar, very thoroughly drained (black)

Dip the sliced avocado in lemon juice and arrange on the bottom of a quiche or pie plate, any serving plate with a bit of an edge. Mash the cooked eggs and combine with the green onion, mayo, mustard, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon an even layer over the avocados, then blend sour cream with additional 1/3 t. Dijon and spread this over the top. There should be about ¼ “ layer of sour cream. Sprinkle top with caviar, cover and chill for several hours.

Guests spoon the creamy pie onto the cracker for nibbling.

Note: It is very important to drain the caviar first. I put it into a fine strainer and gently stir it from time to time...otherwise the black liquid is quite unattractive as it oozes out onto the creamy white surface. It may take an hour to drain well.

The biggest trick is to get the avocado just at the perfect ripeness. It has to fall apart enough to allow scooping with a spoon without the need for cutting, yet firm enough to hold together to support what is above it.

Oh this was a party staple for us in the 70s! We put in a springform pan and unmolded to serve. This and hot crab dip were a must at every party. Thanks for the blast from the past memory!

For spicy fans

The second time I made them I cut the korean spice with cream cheese. Easier to take heat-wise, but honestly, i did prefer the original spicier version.

Just warn folks.
And serve them warm and crispy.

This is on my try list. Another, a friend use to make, which I loooved, was stuffing dates with cheddar cheese and rolling them in powdered sugar.

For spicy fans

The second time I made them I cut the korean spice with cream cheese. Easier to take heat-wise, but honestly, i did prefer the original spicier version.

Just warn folks.
And serve them warm and crispy.
Printed! Will make soon! Just purchased gochujang

So this woman does not specify the type of fig.

We get green figs from the trees around here, just the fig trees of course, but have to buy the wonderful black mission variety. I do cherish them, but at $1.50 each, cherish from afar. I must find special ways to use the green guys. Maybe I'll try them in your recipe here Maria.

But: Tapenade goes down easily and this is a good mix:

Fig and Olive Tapenade

1 cup dried black mission figs ( I have used only fresh)
1 cup pitted kalamata olives
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil

Place the figs in a pot, cover with cold water, and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, and then remove from the heat and let the figs plump up in the water for 15 minutes. Drain well.

Place figs and remaining ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Do not purée. Transfer to a serving bowl and cover. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight to allow the flavours to meld. Will keep a few days in the fridge.

If you haven’t done deviled eggs in a while, when I brought them back to a family event they practically got a standing ovation and were inhaled, lol.
Maria, back when I was catering up a storm and whenever I would suggest an order of deviled eggs, the hosts would give me a total quizzical look, but if they agreed to have some added to their appetizer menu, I ALWAYS had the same reaction from the guests as you recently did. The things disappeared in a trice! People LOVE deviled eggs and don't get them much anymore except at Easter.

Maria, back when I was catering up a storm and whenever I would suggest an order of deviled eggs, the hosts would give me a total quizzical look, but if they agreed to have some added to their appetizer menu, I ALWAYS had the same reaction from the guests as you recently did. The things disappeared in a trice! People LOVE deviled eggs and don't get them much anymore except at Easter.
Yes! One thanksgiving they were gone before I could get the platter into the house! I was swarmed when I got out of the car.

At every event or potluck I have been to, deviled eggs disappear FAST! Never enough and never any leftover. At least in my experience, almost every function in the South has deviled eggs. That being said, any new twists on deviled eggs?

At every event or potluck I have been to, deviled eggs disappear FAST! Never enough and never any leftover. At least in my experience, almost every function in the South has deviled eggs. That being said, any new twists on deviled eggs?
Don’t know how new this is, but prep hb eggs like normally deviled. Mix mashed yolks with crème fresh (or sour cream), s&p to taste, put scoop back in whites, then top with a dollops of caviar and garnish with chopped chives. = Angel eggs. Approx 1/4 c crème fresh per 8 eggs.

Back