RECIPE: REC: Poached Peaches with Raspberry Sauce. We served this after cassoulet on Friday....

RECIPE:

joe

PÊCHES CARDINAL

Compote of Fresh Peaches with Raspberry Purée

From Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child

PEACHES:

6 cups water

2¼ cups sugar

2 Tbs. vanilla extract

10 firm, ripe, unblemished peaches about 2-1/2 inches in diameter

Combine the water, sugar and vanilla in a wide saucepan and simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Add the unpeeled peaches to the simmering syrup, bring again to the simmer, then maintain at just below the simmer for 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let peaches cool in syrup for 20 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a rack. (You may save the syrup to use again.) Peel while still warm,and arrange in a serving dish. Chill.

RASPBERRY PURREE

1 quart fresh raspberries and 1¼ cups sugar

OR

1½ lbs. frozen raspberries, thawed and well drained, and ⅔ cup sugar

Mint leaves, optional

Force the raspberries through a sieve and place the purée in a blender with the sugar. Blend 2 to 3 minutes, until purée is thick and sugar has dissolved completely. Chill.

When both peaches and purée are cold, pour the purée over the peaches. Decorate with the optional mint leaves.

(NOTES: For frozen berries, I assume Julia is referring to the sweetened type. I found unsweetened frozen berries and treated them just like fresh. 3 12-oz. packages made 2 quarts for a double recipe. I did the peaches in 2 batches, so it wasn't necessary to double the syrup. I picked mint sprigs, washed them, wrapped them in paper towels and sealed them in a zip-lock bag in the fridge ahead of time. I never, ever found them after that.)

https://recipeswap.org/fun/wp-content/uploads/Finer_Kitchens/Joe/PechesCardinal.jpg

Here are some other pics: Cassoulet ready for the oven

full

Well Done! Very impressive! I am sure a good time was had by all! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Joe, Fantastic and I am sure a great time was had by all. Thank you for the photos. Wonderful!!!

Joe, what a magnificent feast. What lucky guests! More......

Joe, would you kindly check your recipe. I think one of the ingredients for the poached peaches should have been sugar?

Back