Thought it might be nice to post a few of Moyn's recipes/notes/posts. Care to join me?

pat-nocal

Moyn's daughter, Dana, might enjoy having them in case she'd like to create them at home. I'll start with a few....

Rec: Flourless Chocolate Cake

Hey Patty!! I made this cake, for last night's din din, and it was quicker, easier & equally as delicious (maybe a bit moreso, cause of the quality of the chocolates & butter) as the one I made at Txgiving! I did it in a 9" pan & baked for 20 min. I used Callebaut chocolate & Lurpak butter. Yum!! Try it & let me know.... it's the PERFECT thing, when your time is short, but you need an impressive dessert!!!. Really takes no time at all.....I baked it in a 9" pan & decreased the bake time by 5 minutes.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/14478

FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling
Accompaniment if desired: Coconut Lime Sorbet

Preheat oven to 375̊F and butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Line bottom with a round of wax paper and butter paper.

Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well. Sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes, or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.

Dust cake with additional cocoa powder and serve with sorbet if desired. (Cake keeps, after being cooled completely, in an airtight container, 1 week.) Makes one 8-inch cake. Source: Gourmet, 11/97

COCONUT LIME SORBET
This recipe was created to accompany Flourless Chocolate Cake.

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
a 15-ounce can cream of coconut (preferably Coco Lopez)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh lime juice

In a bowl whisk together ingredients. Freeze mixture in an ice-cream maker. Transfer sorbet to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.
Makes about 1 pint.
Gourmet, 11/97

Rec: BBQ Chicken (Dawn's, with Moyn's notes)

BBQ Chicken

2 whole chickens, cut-up (used skinless thighs)
2-1/2 cups rice vinegar (used seasoned rice vinegar)
1 cup soy sauce (used Kikkoman lite soy sauce)
1 cup fresh lime juice (used half fresh lemon juice)
1-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

Remove skin from chicken. Marinate chicken in a single layer, in a baking dish, covered, refrigerated, turning once, or Ziploc bags work well too, for at least 3 hours, up to overnight. Bring to room temperature, and drain. Grill on barbecue until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.

Source: Dawn/SD now Missouri

Pat’s notes: Used skinless thighs, marinated 3 hours then grilled and they were sooooo good. Used seasoned rice vinegar, Kikkoman low salt soy sauce, and half fresh lime juice, half fresh lemon juice, excellent marinade, definitely a keeper.

Moyn said: This chicken is really delicious. Marinate overnite if you can!

Dawn said: This is also good with pork tenderloin or pork roast, you should definitely marinate overnite as Moyn suggests. I have frozen chicken in the marinade in the freezer, also the marinade freezes well itself.

Debbie in GA said: ISO Dawn/San Diego - made Foster Farms BBQ chicken... and it was sooooo goooood! I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs, marinated for a day and a half, then wound up freezing cuz we weren't home to eat. Pulled a bag out of the freezer and thawed and grilled and it was grrrreat! Thanks for yet another keeper!

Michael in Phx said: Thanks Moyn! The Foster Farms BBQ Chicken marinade you pointed me to IS very good. It does taste strongly of vinegar, but that's good, in my family's opinion! The tang was balanced well with the soy, etc. Also, my only tweak was to use "seasoned" rice vinegar instead of plain. My grocer was giving away bottles of this free awhile back, and I never use flavored rice vinegar in any of my stir-fry recipes, so this was my chance to use it up. The flavored vinegar has corn syrup and brown sugar listed as ingredients, along with salt. I could taste a definite sweetness to the chicken, which worked well to balance the sourness of the vinegar. Thanks for the tip! Dawn's recipe is wonderful.

Rec: Spicy Hoisin Chicken

thanks to Moyn I make this often with turkey thighs.

Spicy Hoisin Chicken

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar (not seasoned rice vinegar)
8 chicken thighs with skin and bones (about 2 3/4 lb)

Preheat oven to 500̊F. (P’s note: I use 400)
Whisk together all ingredients except chicken, then coat chicken all over with sauce. Arrange thighs, skin sides up in 1 layer without crowding, in a foil-lined large shallow baking pan (1 inch deep). Roast in upper third of oven until chicken is cooked through and glaze is brown, 20 to 30 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.
Source: 5/03 Gourmet, via Moyn http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108096

Moyn’s notes 1/15/04: I used two turkey thighs (skin on, bone in) weighing about 3-3/4 lb total. I made the sauce, as written, using about double the garlic & ginger, & more soy & adding chili garlic sauce & some black vinegar, allowing the turkey to marinate, all day, before roasting. As they roasted, I basted a few times and served sprinkled with chopped scallion & black sesame seeds. It tasted like a succulent roast duckling, yummmm!!

Pat’s notes: Delicious, definitely a keeper! Good with steamed jasmine rice and salad of spring mix with tomatoes, cucumbers, blue cheese and ranch dressing. Made it another time using turkey thighs per Moyn's notes and her tweaks of adding chile garlic sauce, more garlic, ginger and soy (it's an easy sauce recipe to dink around with)...reduced the oven temp to 400 and roasted longer, until the turkey thighs were done. Was great served with Michelle/CA’s Sesame Rice and snow peas that were blanched and shocked then sauteed lightly in a tiny amount of olive oil then finished with a drizzle of sesame oil, salt and pepper.

A favorite note from Moyn...about latkes and meeting her hubby.

Subject: Latke Recipe
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001

My fav "recipe" is one I learned from watching my grandmother make them.... and I just do what she did..... and feel my way. Basically, I grate the potatoes (russet, not Yukon gold...LOL.. see the Swap & my comments).... by HAND!!!! Never in the food processor.. I use an old wire grater, but before I had that one, I used the box grater. Then I grate either one or two onions, depending on the quantity of potatoes. I don't drain the potatoes, btw. If you cannot grate the last part of the onion I just cut it up in small enough pieces so that they'll cook.. Then I add some Kosher salt, some pepper, dash of nutmeg and some parsley flakes (last is optional)... and then a couple of eggs or 3, again depending on the amount of batter... and then a couple of tbsp of matzo meal, and a couple of tbsp of flour... AND, I always add a tsp or so of baking powder to make them puff up.... don't really know if it works or not, LOL, but I've been doing it that way for so many years and it's fine. Then I fry them in vegetable oil until they are browned, flip em and brown the other side. I usually use a tbsp for the first batch or two.... and then, afterward, use a tsp, cause those are the ones that invariably go in the freezer to be pulled out for hors d'oevres, as needed. This was actually how I "snagged" Teddy. We had our first date on a Sunday afternoon (it was a blind date) and he was super late.... maybe an hour, so I assumed I was being stood up. My parents were out of town, and I was making potato latkes for my sister, and was smack in the middle of grating, when the doorbell rang, and my date finally showed himself, LOL. Well.... we had our date, after I finished preparing the dinner for my sister..... but he went home and repeated the story of the preparation to his Mama!! LOL.... (she would later rue the day she championed me, LOLOLOL).... And her ONLY question was: Did she grate the potatoes by hand, or prepare the latkes from a mix. His reply was: “No Maaaa, she did it by hand”, and hers was: "THAT's a NICE girl.... don't let her get away!!” LOLOL

With that my friend, I must run to the kitchen.... Dana is coming for dinner, to exchange Chanukah gifts .... gotta do a salad... have already seasoned a roaster with Lemon & fennel & garlic.. (like Sandra's pork roast but w/lemon added)..... I'll also roast a bunch of broccoli florets with rosemary & olive oil... and I just took a Chocolate Pecan Pie out of the oven.. Smells heavenly!! Have a luvverly evening!!

More latke notes from Moyn: Bear in mind, in between batches, you have to keep restirring the batter, since the liquids seem to separate. Lots of people pour that stuff out, but I like to mix it in, think it makes my latkes stand out, not as heavy! Serve them up with a small bowl of sour cream and another of applesauce. Mmmmmmmmmmm, pure heaven!!! Have fun! and a great grate day, LOLOLOLOL.

4/02 note from Moyn: BTW, I just used the last of the December batch, for hors doevres last w/e....baked em up at 485 to crisp.... and then topped them with sour cream and caviar. They were delicious! Guess I'll have to break in the new grater, next week, when it arrives, to have some in my freezer! It's a good rainy day project, since I only use 1 fry pan, and it always seems to take me over an hour to get them all fried up & packaged!

Recs: Moyn’s Tomato Salad, and Moyn's Killer Tomatoes

Moyn’s Tomato Salad

In a big bowl combine:

5 or 6 luscious plum tomatoes cut in 1/8's
about 5 scallions, sliced or a small red onion, thinly sliced
4 or 5 cloves of garlic, minced
zest one lemon
about 7 or 8 large leaves of fresh basil, chopped
oregano to taste (I used fresh)
some chopped parsley
drizzle the whole thing with extra virgin olive oil
add some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
and mix up the whole mess.....
Allow to marinate for a few hours (not overnight, or the tomatoes will "lose" their fresh taste), and stir every now and then to redistribute the marinade.
At the very last minute I added some crumbled feta cheese...but it would be great with grated Parmesan or Asiago or even Manchego

Moyn’s notes: It’s wonderful..... and delicious to sop up the juices with some French bread or crusty roll

Pat's notes: I find I only have to let this sit about 20-30 minutes for the flavors to marry, then add the feta and combine just before serving. Goes great with bbq. Sometimes I also add some kalamata olives and/or serve on a bed of chopped romaine or other lettuce which also picks up the extra dressing.

Moyn’s Killer Tomatoes
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996
Killer Tomatoes : Outrageously delicious

5 med firm, ripe tomatoes
Pepper
3 tbs butter (Margarine)
3 garlic cloves, minced (To taste)
1/4 cup minced onion
1 10 oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed
2 1/2 tbs sour cream
1 3 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (I use Romano or Asiago)
1 tsp chopped fresh basil (I like more!)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, + more, for topping

Cuts tops off tomatoes. Using tsp, carefully remove, and reserve the pulp. Force pulp thru strainer, rendering at least 1/2 cup of juice. Lightly sprinkle pepper inside the tomato shells; invert on paper towels, and let drain. Over low heat, melt 2tbsp of butter in akillet. Add the garlic & onion &
saute until soft, (about 5 min) Set aside. Drain thawed spinach , VERY Well. Combine spinach, sour cream, cream cheese mozzarella, Parmesan, basil, & 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs in food processor; blend thoroughly. If mixture appears too thin, gradually add more bread crumbs, if it's too thick, add more tomato juice.. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Scoop the filling mix into the tomato shells. Do not overpack. Top with more bread crumbs and dot with bits of the remaining butter. Place in lightly greased baking dish & bake for 20 -
30 minutes. Makes 5 servings

This is a wonderful accompaniment for steaks or chops on the grill. It also makes a lovely luncheon main dish... with a crisp green salad & some freshly baked bread. Enjoy!

Rec: Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup

Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup

1 lb sweet Ital. sausage or chorizo, casings removed (used 1-1/4 lbs. hot Italian sausage)
1 cup chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves, sliced (used 5 cloves)
5 cups beef stock or canned broth (used 2 cans chicken broth, 2 cans beef broth)
2 cups chopped tomatoes, about 3/4 lb. (used 14 oz. can diced tomatoes)
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce (omitted)
1 large zucchini, sliced (omitted zuke, used 1 crookneck squash and about 2 cups fresh spinach, sliced)
1 large carrot, thinly sliced (also 1 rib celery, chopped)
1 medium-sized green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup dry red wine (used 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons dried basil (used 2 tbsp fresh basil)
2 tablespoons dried oregano (used 2 tbsp fresh oregano)
8 to 10 ounces purchased fresh cheese tortellini (used 5-cheese ravioli)
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Saute Italian sausage in heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat until cooked through, crumbling with back of spoon, about 10 minutes. using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl. Pour off all but 1 tbsp drippings from Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic to Dutch oven and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Return sausage to Dutch oven. Add stock, tomatoes, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, wine, basil and oregano. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.)

Add tortellini to soup and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Serves 6.

Source: Moyn@Gails from 10/93 Bon Appétit

Moyn’s notes: I used a carton of Pomi chopped tomatoes in place of the tomato sauce and tomatoes, I used lots more garlic, added 1/4 cup of dried, chopped porcini mushrooms, and a 10 oz pkg of chopped spinach. For the sausage I used a one pound roll of Jones medium hot sausage, and I decreased the basil and oregano to 1 tbsp each, adding some fresh chopped basil before serving, added a bit of crushed chopped red pepper, and I omitted the zucchini. The tortellini I used were stuffed with mushrooms and the pkg was only 7 oz.... I added a few sticks of linguini, broke into 1 inch pieces. Served with a crisp green salad, first, and warmed Focaccia.

Rec: Cucumber Salad

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 From: Moyn
Here's one I've been doing for years. This is wonderful on hot dogdays!!

Cucumber Salad

2 cucumbers unpeeled, very thinly sliced
2 onions, thinly sliced (in the name of speed, I do these in the Cuisinart, uncaring how prettily or uniformly they get sliced)
1/2 cup Mayonnaise (Hellmann's if you please)
1/2 cup sour cream (Breakstone's, if you can) or Daisy
2 tbsp white vinegar (I substitute champagne or others from time to time)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4tsp pepper
pinch sugar (I eliminate)
Sometimes, I add some chopped, fresh dill, or dried, or other available herbs for some variation.

Blend cukes & onions with all other ingredients. Allow mixture to stand a few hours to blend. Serves * ????? In my house, this serves 4 as an appetizer!!

REC: Apple Cranberry Crumb Pie...

APPLE-CRANBERRY CRUMB PIE

Recipe By :The Restaurant and Inn at Elk River/Slatyfork,WV
Serving Size : 8

For topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup golden brown sugar -- (packed)
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter -- (1 stick) chilled, cut into small pieces
For filling:
4 large Granny Smith apples -- peeled, cored, & cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
1 16-oz can whole-berry cranberry sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 purchased 9-inch deep-dish frozen pie shell -- unthawed
Vanilla ice cream

Make topping:
Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.

Make filling:
Place baking sheet in oven and preheat to 350°F. Toss apples, cranberry sauce, sugar and cornstarch in large bowl until well blended.

Transfer apple-cranberry filling to frozen pie shell, mounding in center. Sprinkle topping over pie. Set pie on baking sheet in oven. Bake until apples are tender, juices bubble thickly and crust is golden, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer to rack. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Source:
"Gail's/Bon Appetit/1999"

REC: Chewy Chocolate Macaroons...

CHEWY CHOCOLATE MACAROONS

Recipe By :Moyn

1 14-ounce package Angel Flake Coconut
1 14-ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract -- or almond
4 squares unsweetened chocolate -- melted

Combine all ingredients and mix well,.. Drop from teaspoon, 1 inch apart, on well-greased baking sheets. Bake at 350, for 10 - 12 minutes. Remove from baking sheets, at once.

REC: Onion Rings...

Onion Rings

Recipe By :Doris Cross
Serving Size : 2

1 large onion
1/2 cup flour -- plus
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Molly McButter
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/2 cup skim milk
Seasoned salt -- to taste

Preheat oven: 400 F
Peel and slice onion in thick slices. Separate onion slices into rings and set aside.
In medium-sz. bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, salt, Molly McB. and baking pwd. Add egg substitute and milk and stir.
Spray large baking sheet. Dip each onion ring in batter. Drain batter off slightly and then place on baking sheet. Repeat for each ring.
A little batter will start to run off rings onto baking sheet, but it will set as soon as it goes into oven. Work quickly when dipping so as to keep runoff to minimum. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Bake 400 for 15 min., then turn with spatula and bake another 5 min

Have used this batter for fish also with goodresults, using same method of baking.

REC: Warm Chick-Pea Salad...

Warm Chick-Pea Salad

Recipe By :Martha Rose Shulman/Mediterranian Light
Serving Size : 6

For the Salad:
2 cups dried chickpeas -- washed and picked over or 3 19-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6 cups water
salt
4 scallions -- chopped, or 1 small red onion, chopped
4 radishes -- sliced
1 green pepper -- (or red) chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese -- or Cheddar cheese

For the Yogurt Vinaigrette:
1 large lemon -- juice of
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 small garlic clove -- minced or put through a press
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
salt
freshly ground pepper
Lettuce Leaves -- washed and dried

Prepare the Salad:
Pick over the beans, wash, and soak for several hours or overnight in 6 cups water. Drain and place in a large pot with 6 cups fresh water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Cook 1 to 2 hours, until soft, adding salt to taste halfway through the cooking.

If you're using canned beans: drain, rinse, and heat through.

Drain the cooked beans and toss with the scallions, radishes, red or green pepper, parsley, and grated cheese.

Prepare the Yogurt Vinaigrette:
Mix all ingredients well and use immediately or set aside at room temperature.

Toss the chick-pea mixture with the yogurt vinaigrette and season with freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve warm on individual plates or from a bowl lined with lettuce leaves.

REC: Chicken Pate (Embassy Frosted Pate)...

Chicken Pate (Embassy Frosted Pate)

Serving Size : 12

1 1/2 cups finely ground cooked chicken -- (1 1/2 large chicken breasts)
1 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
1/4 cup chopped scallions -- or chives
3 tablespoons finely chopped ginger -- preserved or crytstallized
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce -- (1/2 to 1)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper -- to taste
1/2 cup sour cream -- (1/2 to 1) to frost
parsley sprigs & radish roses for garnish

Combine all ingredients, except sour cream, in bowl & blend thoroughly. Cover & refrigerate 12-24 hours. Shape into crescent, oval or circle. Frost, garnish & serve with crackers, pita, etc.

REC: Country Style Pork Ribs...

Country Style Pork Ribs

3 1/2 pounds pork country-style ribs
6 large garlic cloves -- minced
2 inch piece fresh ginger -- minced
1 handful parsley -- minced
1 lime -- juice and zest of
1 tablespoon lemon infused oil -- (or more)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
Sea Salt to taste
Cayenne to taste

Combine all of above & rub on meat all over. Put in large tray or bowl, and leave marinating all day.
Bake at 475 for about 30 - 40 minutes, and then finish off for a minute or so, on hot grill or under the broiler to crisp up.

Rec: Killer Tomatoes

Killer Tomatoes

Outrageously delicious:

5 med firm, ripe tomatoes,
Pepper
3 tbs butter (Margarine)
3 garlic cloves, minced (To taste)
1/4 cup minced onion,
1 10 oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed,
2 1/2 tbs sour cream,
1 3 oz pkg cream cheese, softened,
1 cup shredded mozzarella,
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (I use Romano or Asiago) 1 tsp chopped fresh basil (I like more!)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, + more,for topping

Cut tops off tomatoes. Using tsp, carefully remove, and reserve the pulp. Force pulp thru strainer, rendering at least 1/2 cup of juice. Lightly sprinkle pepper inside the tomato shells; invert on paper towels, and let drain.

Over low heat, melt 2tbsp of butter in akillet. Add the garlic & onion & saute until soft, (about 5 min) Set aside.

Drain thawed spinach , VERY Well.

Combine spinach, sour cream, cream cheese mozzarella, Parmesan, basil, & 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs in food processor; blend thoroughly. If mixture appears too thin, gradually add more bread crumbs, if it's too thick, add more tomato juice.. Refrigerate 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Scoop the filling mix into the tomato shells. Do not overpack. Top with more bread crumbs and dot with bits of the remaining butter.

Place in lightly greased baking dish & bake for 20 - 30 minutes.

Makes 5 servings

This is a wonderful accompaniment for steaks or chops on the grill. It also makes a lovely luncheon main dish... with a crisp green salad & some freshly baked bread.

REC: Green Beans with Roasted Onions...

GREEN BEANS WITH ROASTED ONIONS

Recipe By :Bon Appétit/November 1995
Serving Size : 12

Nonstick vegetables oil spray
2 1/2 pounds onions -- (6 medium) peeled, each cut vertically through root end into 12 to 14 wedges
6 tablespoons butter -- (3/4 stick)
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 pounds slender green beans -- ends trimmed

Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray 2 heavy large baking sheets with vegetable oil spray. Arrange onions in single layer on prepared sheets.

Dot onions with 4 tablespoons butter, dividing equally. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until onions are dark brown on bottom, about 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, boil broth in heavy large skillet over high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to boil.

Add onions to sauce; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat before continuing.)

Cook green beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well. Return beans to same pot. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss to coat. Mound beans in large shallow bowl. Top with onion mixture and serve.

REC: Paniolo Rack of Lamb...

PANIOLO RACK OF LAMB

Recipe By :The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua HI
Serving Size : 4

For marinade:
1 tablespoon fermented black beans
6 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons soy sauce -- (preferably low-salt)
3 tablespoons medium-dry Sherry
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1 teaspoon Asian chili paste
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons grated orange peel

2 3/4-pound racks of lamb -- frenched
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Make marinade:
Rinse black beans and pat dry. Chop beans fine and in a bowl whisk together with remaining marinade ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.

In a large sealable plastic bag combine lamb and marinade and seal bag, pressing out excess air. Marinate lamb, chilled, turning occasionally, 2 hours.

Prepare grill and preheat oven to 400°F.

Remove lamb from bag and discard marinade. Grill lamb on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals. turning, until browned all over, about 5 minutes.

Transfer lamb, meat sides up, to a shallow baking pan and roast in middle of oven 10 minutes. In a dry heavy skillet toast sesame seeds over moderately high heat, stirring, until fragrant and golden. Sprinkle lamb with sesame seeds and roast 5 to 10 minutes more, or until a meat thermometer registers 130°F. for medium-rare. Transfer lamb to cutting board and let stand 10 minutes.

REC: Grilled Rib-Eye Steaks with Mediterranean Rub...

GRILLED RIB-EYE STEAKS WITH MEDITERRANEAN RUB

Serving Size : 8

2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 1-pound boneless rib-eye steaks -- 1-inch thick, trimmed

8 lemon wedges

Blend first 6 ingredients in small bowl. Mix in oil to form smooth paste. Rub mixture over steaks. Transfer to baking pan. Cover; chill at least 3 hours or overnight.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Sprinkle steaks with salt. Grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Place on cutting board; let stand 4 minutes. Cut steaks into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices. Transfer to platter. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with lemon.

Serving Ideas : This spice rub is also great with chicken. Team the steaks with a salad of boiled green beans and quartered radishes, and offer some favorite beer.

REC: Penne with Sardine Sauce...

Penne with Sardine Sauce

Recipe By :Miami Herald

Serving Size : 6

1 4 1/2-ounce can sardines in olive oil -- drained
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon capers -- drained
2 ripe tomatoes -- peeled & seeded
1 Handful fresh basil leaves
1 pound penne pasta
salt -- to taste

Process sardines, oil, capers, tomatoes & basil in a blender until smooth & creamy. Add water is mixture is too thick. Cook penne until al dente. Drain pasta, mix with sauce & serve at room temperature.

Back