Tip to keep bacon on hand in small quantities to add flavor to dishes

when I buy a package of bacon I slice it right across the strips into three or four chunks (depending on whether it’s a 12oz. or 16oz. package) and then place them into a freezer bag. That way I can grab out a 4oz. piece whenever needed. I add it directly to a skillet frozen and just cook over medium-low heat until the strips thaw enough to separate from each other, then eventually brown and crisp up.

I do this too, Maria. Here, in Pork Is God Land, local grocery sells bulk ends for

$2 a pound...and the package contains about 3 lbs. I took it apart, made up 10 packages of ~5 oz each, layering them on wax paper and then wrapping each tightly in Saran, then bagging them all. It is such a joy to pull one of those out of the freezer because the slices are already only 4" long and thaw immediately. Salads, BLTs, eggs, grits, just about anything can be enhanced with bacon, the nectar of NC.

how about some gourmet soup or bread mixes? m

I love my egg slicer for slicing and cubing eggs and strawberries and whatever fits---but she probably already has one. I have some silicone pot handle thingies that work well for those pots that get hot or can be put into the oven. Lots of new silicone products to choose from at kitchen stores that would be new to the kitchen. I bought some fun Alaska cookie cutters---are there some fun and different cutters that she might like, if she still bakes roll-out cookies? How about some fun colored peppercorns for the pepper grinder? Small muffin tins that make just 6 muffins for the smaller family.

A hairdresser friend gave me a timer that sits on my ear, and beeps gently - it was great for>>>

Thanksgiving, I didn't have any pockets that day! it was $5 from a beauty supply shop....

A few other ideas...

depending on how long she has had things you might want to think of replacing some items. For Mom's birthtday I got her a new set off cookie sheets, silpats, and a small cookie sized scoop. She called me last week to say how nice it was with all her holiday baking to have all new (works better than ever) tools.

Also, I'll add I love my spoonula -- and not just the heat resistant kind; I like the reg rubber ones that bend/scrape better.

Also, new tongs

more parchement paper

a new peppermill

new hotpads/good linen towels

new yummy smelling kitchen soap or scrubbers

More than one set of measuring cups/spoons to have in drawers on each side of the kitchen.

Maybe a new reg spatuala - I melted my old fav red 1970's one and hate all the new ones...why are they HUGE? I'm not bbqing for goodness sakes1 (Oh sorry that would be on my holiday list, lol!)

smileys/bigsmile.gif

What a great tip. I would have never thought about a beauty supply shop for cooking items.

So happy to hear it was a hit! We love it!

We have an asparagus patch and we enjoy it each spring.

Thanks for the update!

you all are making me cry here---lost my Mom 2 years ago. My sister has the old white enamel

roaster, I have the German metric measure and some favorite cookie cutters. I'll have to rescue a few more things next time I'm home, like some of the aprons that I might just make into a quilt or something. does anyone wear an apron anymore?

And the "make your own oil spray" pumpers would be nice. and

some nice real vanilla or almond extract. Can't ever have too much of those!

Be careful about getting rid of the old stuff---my Mom was VERY attached to her old T&T items.

I have my grandma's rolling pin here...

I think of her everytime I use it. It's just an old wooden one, but it's so well seasoned that it's side are smooth like they've been oiled. (Which, when you think of it, they have... by all the butter in the doughs she rolled out)

I love to run my hand down it's length everytime I use it and think of her.

I absolutely ADORE my silicone spatulas! Though, if she is a foodie, she probably has a ton

of stuff she cooks with, and probably sold/gave away a bunch when they downsized. Acutally, I love all my silicone items.

I love my digital candy/cooking thermometer, too! It has a wand/probe with a long metal cord that attaches to the unit box.

I'm really not up on what's new/IN in the gourmet world. Bet someone else will have a great idea for you!

BTW, how did the asparagus dish do?

Gayle

Gayle - the asparagus was WONDERFUL!

I blanched the asparagus a few hours before the event and then poured a lemon vinaigrette over it. (Posted by Peggy/OR, now Peggy/AZ)

We put the asparagus into the garage to keep cool. (It was only about 25 degrees here this weekend) And then let it warm up to almost room temperature before we served it. They ate quite a bit of it! I tried it too, and I really liked it.

Thanks so much for your help. I was really stumped for that last side dish, and although asparagus isn't the cheapest vegetable this time of year, it really worked perfectly.

Back