Hi all. I thought it might be nice to start a sort of "indroduction" thread

suzanne

Enthusiast Member
It seems there is a nice mix of people from Epicurious here. Most have been around awile. Actually, to me it seems like the "best of" both the swap and the chat. If you chose, please introduce yourself to the rest of us...since we're like starting a blended family! Thanks!!!!

I'll start!

I'm Suzanne, from upstate NY. I'm an "old-timer" from about the second or third month of Epi. When I frist found EPI site I owned my own bakery. I've been a regular chatter since then. I've in posted the swap since then also, although I'm mostly known as a chatter, I guess. I've lurked and used the swap all along and was distressed with the changes made. This feels like home to me! I looking forward to "meeting" everyone else! (BTW, I'm togasuz in the new "Swap).

Intro

I am Earnie (Earnie/TN woman) from Tennessee. I joined Epi from almost the beginning and have enjoyed many of the parties and all of the people, recipes, and ideas there. I am looking forward to this forum.

Full disclosure...

I first found Gail's Swap in 1996 and I was an active (several times daily) participant for over a year. Then I had my second child, and no longer had time for Internet or cooking or anything else. Since then I've showed up from time to time, mostly in the fall/early winter when the holidays stimulate my latent interest in cooking.

Aside from the fact that I make amazing cookies, I am not a very knowledgeable or good cook, mostly from lack of trying. My husband doesn't often like anything new and my young kids still have immature palates. So trying new recipes is hit or miss with me and I think I only have about a 50% success rate with them; it's not very encouraging. Usually the new recipes I try are awesome and I'm just floored that my family doesn't appreciate them. *sigh* In spite of that I'm very interested in cooking and love to collect recipes I never try, and read up on cooking techniques. I tell myself, once the kids leave home I will be free to exercise more creativity. So don't except any great culinary wisdom from this quarter (although I know a lot about cookies!), just an eager listener.

I'm a web designer by profession (since 1999); at the moment I specialize in search engine optimization, writing online content, and usability. I thought the whole fiasco with Epi changing the forum format was utterly fascinating to watch from the point of view of a web designer with an interest in usability.

Hi - I was Lisa/LA on the "other site" and I'm happy to be here!....

I lurked for a long while on Gail's before posting, and never left! I am a self-taught cook, and have learned so very much from others who frequent these boards. I have worked seasonally with a couple of caterers, which helped me decide that a career in the restaurant/catering industry was not for me! smileys/wink.gif I am much more comfortable cooking on a smaller home/dinner party scale.

I am very grateful to Mimi & crew and Finer Kitchens for creating this new cyberspace home for us.

It is fabulous to see a lot of friendly familiar faces here, along with the recipes, knowledge and ideas being shared.

Hi, I am Moyn, from Florida and I'm really happy with our new home.>>>

I first found Epicurious in January of 1996 and was "hooked" from Day One. I've met some wonderful people and made some great friendships over the years. In addition, I've learned a wealth of stuff from all of you, and look forward to a continuation of both the relationships and the education, here at the Finer Kitchens Swap.

So glad you had this idea....

I found it amazing that Epi was throwing away the 'hits' revenue when everyone was telling them that the site was not functional.

Thank you for what you have accomplished here.

Re: Hits Revenu. I feel compelled to point out...

(on behalf of my client) that since there is no advertising on this site, there is no "hits revenue" here. :eek:)

So...if you need or want anything for your kitchen, PLEASE consider shopping at FinerKitchens.com. Their "lowest price guarantee" is real and they have free shipping to the contiguous US for orders over $75. They are also not new to the business; they have run LivingRight.com (a website that specializes in healthy living appliances like juicers) for 7-1/2 years. They are great people and the testimonials on their site are real. FinerKitchens is a new venture into the wider world of kitchen gadgets. Please support them when you can! Thanks guys!

I'm STILL in heaven on this new forum--Everyone is SO nice! And all the features, font, colors, etc

are perfect. I've resided in central Florida for over 30 years, and cut my cooking teeth on the first Julia Child shows on PBS that started the year I was married. I was a frequent lurker on the old Gail's, especially late at night when I couldn't get to sleep. Nothing to lull you to sleep like full meal at "Gail's restaurant!" Like Mimi, I like to bake cookies, but also other desserts. However, I do like to cook pretty much anything. My next big project is to bake the wedding cake and grooms cake for my daughter's wedding, which will be held here at our house, in our backyard garden. I'll definitely be asking for pointers when the big date (March 4) draws closer.

I'm Dawn/NYS, registered as DawnNYS here. I'll stick around at Epi for a while (more)...

to "bring up the rears" - pm'ing all people I recognize to let them know of this new wonderful place. But I have definately replaced Epi with Mimi's as the forum I will come to first and most often.

I live in upstate New York (near Lake Ontario) and like to cook and recently started baking a lot. I live with my husband and 11 y/odaughter and 3 y/o son.

DawnNYS (Dawn/NYS if I can someday figure out how to put a slash in my sign-in name)

Hi, I'm Carianna

and I started posting on the old Gail's site at the end of 1999. Sometimes I was a frequent poster and sometimes I was more of a lurker, depending on what was going on in my life!

I live north of Seattle in Washington State... close to the town of Bellingham. Right now I'm a crazed mom who's gone back to college. I'm 2 quarters away from my student teaching, so I'm looking at being a full-fledged teacher by next winter.

I cater out of my home periodically. I'm trying hard to not do any catering during the school year, but sometimes I have a hard time saying no! My favorite things to cook and plan are appetizers. I also like to bake cookies, but not so much other desserts.

I'm happy to see so many of the old familiar "faces" here. It feels like coming home!

Hi - MariaD/No CA from Gail's

I was at Gail's pretty much from the beginning tho I lurked a bit at first. Since then life changes (DH passing away almost 3 yrs ago) has left me not cooking as much smileys/frown.gif tho I still love to come get ideas, inspiration, and plan for events.

RuthAB chiming in too ...

from Alberta, Canada.

I discovered Gail's near the beginning of the year and was blown away by the great atmosphere, wonderful recipes and wealth of cooking experience, which people so generously and willingly shared with one another. I was a lurker during that time and first started posting after EPI switched to the new software (talk about jumping on a sinking ship!).

So glad to be here with all of you in this positive environment!

Hi Carianna (non-food related chat)

I am also in a teaching credential program - I got started late for the coming semester, so I don't know if I will be doing my student teaching semester next Fall or in Spring 07.

I also have a 6 yo + hubby, so I understand how challenging it is to go back to school and have work and a home life as well.

Are you doing Elementary or Secondary? I'm Elementary, which credentials you for K-8 where I live (California).

You can private message me on the board, or e-mail me at trajan99@hotmail.com if you'd rather continue this convo off the board.

Another "old-timer" here....

Like Sandra, Suzanne & Earnie, I've been around since Epi opened the doors.
I remember posting in the Swap in late '95, shortly before they set up the chat for us to gather in real time.
I love bread-baking and trying new recipes. Not so many folks in the house to cook for any more, so it takes longer to get to all the recipes I print out.
I'm thrilled that Mimi has given us a site we can enjoy....
Judy

Hey Lisa, (non-food teaching related chat inside)

I'm Eled too. Here in Washington that means K-8, but I'd ideally like 2nd through 4th when I'm done. (5th at the max.)

Do you have to take the Praxis when you're done with the program? I'm scheduled for that in March and it's a little stressful. It would really be horrible to go through all this schooling and not be able to pass the exit exam!

It's good to know there's someone else in my boat. Going back to school with a family is truly the hardest thing I've ever done. I can't wait to be finished and have my own classroom!

ValinFL here...kinda new....

the recipes at Epicurious just rocked my world, then I found Gail's in 2003...GREAT board, I must say! Love to try new foods and tastes and love to learn from others; I also believe that food is love. Am thankful to Mimi for setting this all up; I've experienced a lot of change (negative, unfortunately) in my personal life this past year so the construction of this board helps me immensely.

Back