Hi all. I thought it might be nice to start a sort of "indroduction" thread

Full disclosure...

I first found Gail's Swap in 1996 and I was an active (several times daily) participant for over a year. Then I had my second child, and no longer had time for Internet or cooking or anything else. Since then I've showed up from time to time, mostly in the fall/early winter when the holidays stimulate my latent interest in cooking.

Aside from the fact that I make amazing cookies, I am not a very knowledgeable or good cook, mostly from lack of trying. My husband doesn't often like anything new and my young kids still have immature palates. So trying new recipes is hit or miss with me and I think I only have about a 50% success rate with them; it's not very encouraging. Usually the new recipes I try are awesome and I'm just floored that my family doesn't appreciate them. *sigh* In spite of that I'm very interested in cooking and love to collect recipes I never try, and read up on cooking techniques. I tell myself, once the kids leave home I will be free to exercise more creativity. So don't except any great culinary wisdom from this quarter (although I know a lot about cookies!), just an eager listener.

I'm a web designer by profession (since 1999); at the moment I specialize in search engine optimization, writing online content, and usability. I thought the whole fiasco with Epi changing the forum format was utterly fascinating to watch from the point of view of a web designer with an interest in usability.

Re: Hits Revenu. I feel compelled to point out...

(on behalf of my client) that since there is no advertising on this site, there is no "hits revenue" here. :eek:)

So...if you need or want anything for your kitchen, PLEASE consider shopping at FinerKitchens.com. Their "lowest price guarantee" is real and they have free shipping to the contiguous US for orders over $75. They are also not new to the business; they have run LivingRight.com (a website that specializes in healthy living appliances like juicers) for 7-1/2 years. They are great people and the testimonials on their site are real. FinerKitchens is a new venture into the wider world of kitchen gadgets. Please support them when you can! Thanks guys!

Randi in Oregon, better late than never.... smileys/smile.gif

I started posting on Gail's in the fall of '96

the recipes were wonderful but the people behind them made Gail's a very special place to post.

I stopped posting on a regular basis about 5 years ago when my son was finally able to find me. we spent a very intense and wonderful year catching up on the years apart.

when I came back the "climate" had changed so much and it just wasn't the same warm and friendly place. it's a joy to see all the happiness here and so many "old" friends posting again.

many thanks to Mimi and Dan for all your hard work in making this a new home for all of us and those to come.

Hi all! Greetings from northern VA! I have been lurking at Gails....

since sometime in the mid 90's. I posted a few times from MD then got married and moved over the line to VA. I have felt so much a part of the swap family and have missed everyone immensely! HUGH thank you to Mimi and her gang for putting together this swap and to Curious for letting me know about it.

After just a couple of days there are already SOOOOO many good recipes posted here that my printer is smokin' trying to get them all printed out........

Made it!

Thanks to those of you who sent me a message about this new site. Mimi, my hat is off to you (and Dan) - this is truly what everyone was looking for in a forum. Well done!

By way of introduction, I am American, have been living in Holland for 13 years. Like all of you, dedicated to cooking and eating well. (And to my husband and dogs, of course.) I entered into the Epi Group right from the beginning way back when (Epi's dumping of the Group Project on the website still chaps my hide). Anyway, right now I am going through the British Wine and Spirit Education Trust's Diploma Course, which is a heavy-duty wine course. It's for professionals - I am an amateur hoping to become at professional. We'll see if it works out!
cheers, Bonnie

Hello, SallyBR here....

Used to be a regular at Gail's years ago.

Let's see - I was born in Brazil 45 years ago; lived in California for a few years, France for a few years, now I am a permanent resident of the US of A, Oklahoma region

Married to my best friend, co-worker, co-runner, kitchen-helper, home-chef, Phil

Three stepsons, grown up, don t live with us

Two dogs - one is a Jack Russell - enough said, for those who know the breed... smileys/smile.gif

Thanks to Dawn for bringing me over here!

Hi Barbara, glad you're here. Tell DH thanks for trying to help at Epi.>>

Here's hoping that this board will help keep the good food on the table and DH happy. smileys/smile.gif

Long time lurker, occasional poster...

Thanks to DawnNYS and Sandy in Baltimore for
pointing the way to the new site. And thanks to
Mimi and those who organized it.

Have been around gail's for the last 7 years or
so. Lived in the DC area for the last 25 years,
but moved to Maine 6 weeks ago.

Was out of town when the big switch happened.
Glad to have found you all again.

Previous lurker and occasional poster at Gail's

Just found this site (by googling some familiar names) and am so glad!

Back