Hi all. I thought it might be nice to start a sort of "indroduction" thread

Hi - I'm Debra - from Michigan (Deb in MI)

and I am soooo glad to be hear. I've been with the old swap since '96 or '97, I think. Have met such wonderful people through it, learned so much, and have created the most fantastic recipes thanks to it.

I look forward to the future with all of you:)

Debra

KarenNoCA here, Redding is where I live

I have been a member of Gail's for a long time and loved it. I have met some very nice folks and personally met Linda Stradley and Peggy Bucholz, dined in their homes, etc. Two wonderful ladies with equally great husbands.

I love cooking, even though for two now. My cooking went from learning, to gourment (very fancy) to very simple. Now I use Farmer's Market Organic produce, in season, cook it all very simple and try to achieve the very best flavors, colors in my food that I can. I have learned to cook fish, and have found that I prefer it to most meats.
I am doing great, and spend less time in my kitchen.
It is very nice to be here!

Jumping on the bandwagon with pleasure

Like so many of the others here, I started posting on Gail's Swap in the first month it was up. Now (oh thank you, Mimi!!!) we have just what we lost except an even better version of it!

I own and operate an inbound Hawaii wholesale travel business (I sell to agencies) and my DH and I own and he operates an old fashioned ice cream soda shop on the island. I owned a catering business for 10 years, taught cooking for many years but most importantly, I LOVE to cook. I bake too but not as much as I cook. I went through the tourist courses at Cordon Bleu, took many private courses, was lucky enough to participate in a master class with Julia Child but I am not a food snob and really as most of you know that know my posts, I appreciate old fashioned good cooking sense and creativity. I love to encourage and help new cooks- as well as learning from everyone around me.

Luisa/Calif here from Northern California. I've been here since

my youngest graduated from high school in 1997. (Empty nester) I teach high school math...Algebra, Geometry, Trig, Calculus. I find coming here relieves some of the stress of dealing with 180 - plus teenagers every day! Thanks so much to Mimi et al. I really was getting depressed thinking that our wonderful community had been sunk.

Hi everyone. Thanks for inviting me over! ...............

I'm MadcityMike from Madison Wi. I usually have more questions than answers, but happy to be here!

Thanks so much guys....

yes it was very hard, there aren't suppose to leave us at least not at 39! It hit me quite hard which was why some may have noticed I took quite a sabbatical from the swap back then.

Thank you for your kind words!

Hi Carianna (more nfrc)

No, California phased out the Praxis and instituted something called the CSET in its place - I think at the begining of '03.

In order to enter the credentialing program, you have to pass the CBEST and the CSET, and pass the RICA before you complete the program.

I'm sure you will do fine on the Praxis exam - do you have any Kaplan-type books to study with? I used one for my prep for the CSET and it helped a lot.

Wishing you good luck!

Less than a year but pretty verbose!

I first found out about Gail's when I met Josh at a pastry class at the CIA earlier this year. He almost didn't want to give me the URL because he was posting about his experiences which included his classmates! It was fine though (he's such a gentleman even if he does put his shoes on the table...lol...it's a magic act). Most folks know me as the wandering baker as I posted a 34 day travelouge covering 10,433 miles wandering across the US in 5 weeks checking out bakeries. For anyone who's interested I guess I could repost the whole thing as a document if that's ok with Mimi). Then my posts dwindled as I've gotten into building a bakery. I'm acting as the GC and doing quite a bit of work myself. Right now I'm installing insulation in the ceiling which is 27' up. I hope to open in the spring and the bakery is a tribute to my son who passed away 2 years ago. My daughter, who is also in the Navy and overseas right now, is slowing taking an interest in baking. Yeah! My motto since Justin died..."life is short, live your passion!" I've spoken with many of you via emails and Gayle in MO even took me out to lunch on my wandering! This is a great group.
Heather

Hello again to everyone! Keeping my Gail's name, I'm dia/OKC ...

I've met, online and in person, so many wonderful folks from Gail's (starting in '95 or '96) ... my household has thrived on many wonderful Swap recipes these past 10 years. Glad to see the community spirit has been picked up over here. Keep up the great work, Mimi!!

I'm a writer-editor-web developer. Married 20 years, and we have 5th- and 3rd-grade daughters who both love to cook and play in the kitchen.

Glad to see everyone. Great ENERGY going on here!

Hi, this is Cyndi from PA

Actually, Oakmont, PA, just outside of Pittsburgh. Thanks, Mimi, for this great place... I found Gail's back in 1999 when we first got a computer, and I've loved being a part of such a great group that has no problem sharing a recipe or helping with a food question. I'm using OrigCyn here, but still sign things the same way...

CYH - consider yourself hugged!!!

Hi Everyone, thanks for this site

I am an empty nester living in Raleigh NC, formerly from RI. I work researching how people get health care and how they pay for it for the US Public Health Service. Traveling a great deal in rural NC. When I'm home I love to cook and have many favorites from the old site. Small dinner parties are what I like to do. I feel like I know you all. Thanks

Joanie here..at last again just joanie. Mimi so many thanks. It' so lovely

to skim through all these posts and get Happy Vibes again.
I'll have time soon-ish to really go through all the wonderful recipes, ideas, stories etc soon.
Thanks to Dan too, what a man (oh, Oh! I hope he is a man not like I refered to dear Joe as a girl at Epi...where is Joe by the way?)

With your blessings, I will under 'docs'

Thank you Mimi. And enjoy your Justin. I haven't met a Justin yet who wasn't a character. Mine was a red-head and his favorite saying was 'well, what if....'. He had a blast in the Navy (literally) blowing things up and at his memorial service I stood up and told Justin stories for about a 1/2 hour and we had everyone laughing which is what he would have wanted since it was on his 21st birthday. He knew I loved him and was proud of him, what more could I want? Heather

Oh geez what a ditz I am...

Mimi; I got confused; it's Neener's site that has a docs section...maybe I should just do it there? It's 30 pages long and I'd hate to take up that much space on a post reply...what do you think?
Heather

I'm your gal Friday...

I've been chatting and occasionally swapping at Epi since 1996. My real name is Laura, and I'm in East Tennessee.

She sure is!

http://my.en.com/~bunnell/pics/judy.jpg

All kidding aside... Judy is a bread-baker extraordinaire!

Hi all, formerly Tallulah/TX in epi chat......

This site looks great & so user-friendly! Thank you Zuri for inviting me. I see lots of familiar names!
I'm happy to be on board.

Back